Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
For those new to desert exploring

A couple of years ago Ozz posted on this topic, but because we have new visitors and hikers in the desert every year I though it deserved posting again. Creosote bushes will puncture your tire! They look harmless and are easy to run over, especially when turning around. If you hit the middle of the bush you can break off arrow sharp pieces that will then go thru the sidewall or even the tread of your tire. We were building antelope pens today in the poring rain (yes cold and rainy in Southwestern Arizona, but as one participant said "at least it's a dry heat") and couldn't avoid taking a truck dragging an air compressor around a 5,000 foot square of open desert. As you might guess we had the pleasure of adding changing a tire in the muddy desert to what was already a memorable experience.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Ah yes those dreaded grease wood branches. Just the other day I put 2 of them thru the bottom of my tire on the can-am, and forgot to take some plugs along. I now have a tire pump and a bunch of plugs in the side by side. A friend has a tire that looks like the head of Raggedy Andy with all those little plugs sticking out.
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Dick what are the "original fast food" pens for?
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:25 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Ah yes those dreaded grease wood branches. Just the other day I put 2 of them thru the bottom of my tire on the can-am, and forgot to take some plugs along. I now have a tire pump and a bunch of plugs in the side by side. A friend has a tire that looks like the head of Raggedy Andy with all those little plugs sticking out.
I'm with you. When I was into off roading, a tire plug and patch kit was one of the things rattling around in the glove box. So was a little gizmo that replaced one of the sparkplugs and could be used to pump air into a tire. It was god-awful slow, but did the job.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

Dick what are the "original fast food" pens for?
Lynwood
Antelopes
Old 11-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I guess I don't get it. What does the DQ stand for? What's the history. My wife and I met 41 years at the DQ in Crockett Texas. We would circle the town square and the DQ all evening on Friday and Saturday nights in our fine rides. I had a snappy looking 69 350 Cheville SS.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry, didn't understand what you were asking. We own one in Council Grove, Ks. When we went full time our daughter took it over and is inheriting it 10% per year. I used to be a national franchisee rep for Dairy Queen also and so the DQDick moniker was hung on me about 20 years ago and has been around ever since.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
That satisfies my need to know. DQ is big business in Texas.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
True enough and at the same time part of what's still a problem with the DQ system. If you travel you'll notice that DQ's in Texas have their own menu and even print their own paper goods. The whole state of Texas is an independent territory and while their franchisee's pay similar royalties and advertising as I do, little of the Royalties and none of the advertising money every makes it to Dairy Queen. The national advertising I pay for goes to Texas for free. It's just a result of Dairy Queen being the first franchise and no one seeing where things would lead.