Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
No Propane on Door Side

Now that we've thawed out for a bit here in Jersey, we still are having issues with the door side (curb side/passenger side) propane not working.

We just put a full bottle on. Switchover indicator knob on the other side says red, as in empty.

Furnace will not ignite.

Obviously propane is not getting through that line.

Suggestions / comments other than get a 100-lb tank, live with one tank or put spare tank on ground on the other side with a pigtail connection?

Is there any way to fix this? Ideas on what's causing it? Perhaps the red regulator on that side has gone bad? Would that cause no flow?

I've read somewhere (here or other forums, can't remember) that sometimes that red regulator goes bad. We're wondering if that could cause no flow . . . and tossing about pros and cons of taking off that reg regulator on the door side.

~~~ sigh ~~~

Thanks!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Others have either done away with the off-side regulator (not usually recommended) or replaced it with a more trustworthy one. The latter is on my list of things to do this year.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Oh, it could be a few of different things as we have found out in the past.

Firstly an air lock is possible, the drill is shut down &disconnect the LP tank then open all the stove burners for a few minutes. After that shut off the burners, reconnect the LP tank and open it's valve verrrry, slooooowly. I am told is can take a few tries at this procedure.

Last year after failing to fix ours via the air lock we presumed it was that nasty red regulator. Call the service van and the first thing he changed was the flex hose from the tank to the gas pipe, still no go so he replaced the s style hose on the drivers side just as it enters the tank switchover indicator. Turns out both of these hoses had a blockage, don't know why, perhaps impure propane refill, but now we carry those two extra hoses!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Yep, we have the same issue. Right now I put an extended hose to hook up a 100# tank on the opposite side and keep the main regulator lever switched to that side. The automatic switch over has not worked from day one. Guess I am going to have to take the door side regulator off to see if that works. Any we do open the value very, very slowly!!!

On another note how did you like those nice warm temps we had up here last week? We burned thru a 100# tank in 7 days and that was with the electric furnace on and keeping the thermostat at 60!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Hiya Les,

Well, misery loves company, eh? Man, it's like Spring out today!

Last week was exciting. Propane tanks froze and then stopped working on the door side. Holding tanks froze shut. Fridge shut down for about 24 hours.

Everything's working again except the propane issue. Do you have propane delivered for the 100-lb tank or do you cart it in yourself for refill?

We've tossed around the idea of a big tank, but there's a few factors about our site that give us pause. One of them being there's quite a bit of traffic at times on the driver side of our rig (18-wheelers, etc.) We've got orange cones around our Monty there but it sure wouldn't be pretty to have someone bash into a 100-lb tank. Taking it for refill ourselves is not an option.

Guess ya'll will get hit with that front coming through, too. Wind has picked up a bit here. There's a couple of branches down around and the lights flickered a bit ago. We very well may lose power, but that's not unusual. Thank goodness for a big generator!

Ya'll hunker down and stay safe this evening!

Cheers,
Betty
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
If the tank was drawn empty, it is possible moisture has frozen the passage closed. This happened to me on a very cold night. The blockage could be in the hose, or the regulator itself. If frozen, my money would be on the regulator inlet. You should find a screen there, which makes it all the easier for ice to form.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 PM   #7
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
Before I would purchase/replace anything, follow this procedure -

1) Shut-off & disconnect both tanks.

2) Starting on the passenger side (with the cross-over switch), re-connect the hose & slowly turn on the tank.

3) Go to the other side, re-connect the hose, slowly open the tank 1/2 turn. Stop. Shut off the tank, wait 60 seconds. Slowly open the tank all the way.

I do this each & every time I refill a tank or shutdown the system & everything works as it should.

You may think this is time consuming but it's better than wasting your money on unnecessary parts and/or getting up in the middle of the night to change over a tank. Been there, done that. This works much better.
Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Betty, something that can be tried is to remove the pig tail, that short hose from the Propane tank to the regulator or black pipe and Then slowly open the tank valve and see if you get gas flow through that pig tail hose, I wouldn't be smokeing while trying this. If no gas flow try to retighten the connection to the tank. If still no go get a new pig tail and check that it will pass the gas test before reconnecting everything back up. Those things have some type of flow valve built in and they fail often. I had several brand new ones from CW that would pass gas. Just something easy to try before going off buying items.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I agree, but make very sure there are no open lights around including the furnace or water heater.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Betty,

I take our 100# tanks to get re-filled at the local Tractor Supply Co. at $2.49/gal. The campground charges around $4.50 (guess they figure they have a captive audience!). We always keep the 2 - 30# filled just in case. We keep the 2 - 100# tanks on the opposite side under the bedroom slide so we don't have issues with someone running into them.

Last night/ this morning was a treat with the winds and heavy rain....basically we are now in a mud pit from all the snow melt and rain and as you know back to the freezer this weekend!

The killer last week was that I was traveling for work and was in West Palm Beach (75 deg, sunny, etc.) while Sue was stuck in the frozen tundra with the cat and bird. Go figure that on Friday morning at 1 am I get a call from her that the furnace did not sound right. Sure enough one of the 100# tanks ran out and needed to be switched out. I walked her thru it and being the McGyver she is did great. So now she understands the Murphy's law of the furnace is always on except when the propane runs out between midnight and 3 am!

Hope you fair well with the weather today it is going to be a ride again!

Les

Old 01-31-2013, 12:37 AM   #11
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I had a similar problem and found that the pigtail was bad. There is a check valve inside that can go bad.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote