Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Dexter E-Z Flex vs MOR/ryde RE

Any thoughts on the comparison between the two? I'm thinking of upgrading to one of the above together with the wet bolt kit and the new Dexter brake assembly. Although DW might disagree, I'm thinking the rig might be traded in two years so that is a consideration.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Dave

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Why spend the money if you are getting rid of it in two years
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You might also consider the TrailAir EquaFlex, that is what we have. It is a "drop in" replacement for the stock equalizer and is available with wet bolts. I believe the RE requires some cutting and welding.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Good question Bob. The answer is because I haul about 9,000 miles a year and a lot can happen in 18,000 miles. In addition, there is no guarantee I will trade. In fact, new brakes and new suspension might make it less likely that I will. I would go with the fully independent suspension and disc brakes if I knew I was going to keep it for several years.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OntMont

You might also consider the TrailAir EquaFlex, that is what we have. It is a "drop in" replacement for the stock equalizer and is available with wet bolts. I believe the RE requires some cutting and welding.
Thanks John, I hadn't thought of that. Is that conversion box working out for you? It was nice to see you if only for a very short time.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Dave..We had the TrailAir EquaFlex and Wet Bolts put on the week before the rally and notice a big difference on our way home.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Our two prior were used and in excellent condition. We did have a problem with the 99 Montana,broke the left rear shackle hanger and the fab shop suggested not to take any long trips in it so traded for a 3000rk which she really wanted. If you like what you have and it is in good working order is it worth the expense? How far would the expense of those two items go towards a new rig down the road I don't see the milage being an issue and who knows in a year or two they might add those options on a new rig, besides keeping DW happy is a major consideration in my opinion. Just my opinion
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
My Dexter EZ Flex and Wet Bolt upgrade has seemed to reduce the amount of "shock" I feel in the truck when passing over expansion joints, bumps, etc compared to before. And one item (a vent pillow) that "always" falls DID NOT on the last trip...
So I'm pleased with it as a reasonably economical upgrade.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We installed the EZ Flex and felt it was worth every penny
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We had Equa Flex installed 2 weeks ago- Have about 300 miles since the install- Certainly think it was worth the cost- The fiver seems to float over the bumps now- Also had the wheel bearings repacked and the brakes adjusted- Hope you are happy with whatever you decide- Keep us posted- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 AM   #11
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We had the TrailAir Equi-Flex installed on our last rig and have the welded on Mor-Ryde on this one. I haven't noticed any difference so far. I think I prefer the Equi-flex because the Mor-Rydes are so tall [frame to free end] and are subject to a lot more side flex.
I discussed the two at the factory during the rally tour. I was told they were tested by an independent company and there was little to no difference in performance on 'normal' roads, the Mor-Ryde was significantly better on really bad test areas [big potholes and railroad ties were mentioned].
I'm not sure but I think the TrailAir Equi-Flex and the Dexter unit are the same.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #12
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
The dexter is a direct bolt on replacement on my unit for about 150$ (me install). That is the one I am looking at. I wanted it at goshen but I can get a better price with my local dealer in SC. I cant say how it works but I dont like how far the mor-ryde hangs down and alot more stuff to install JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote