Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #41
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
In my opinion it mainly seems that those on no set schedule drive shorter distances because they have lots of time to get to where ever they are going. Usually retired RV'ers. For those of us who are still tied to a clock of some sort we usually drive longer distances per day to maximize our time at the destination. Personally I can drive for long periods on freeways away from large metro areas and not get tired very quickly. A bit worse on some two lane roads but not bad in rural areas. Probably the worst is driving through large metro areas as I am quite a bit more uptight with all the ass hole drivers moving four or five lanes over just before their exit.
It basically boils down to what speed you want to drive and how the traffic is flowing and how long you want to and safely can travel. Everyone is different and what happens traffic wise each day can change your abilities or desires of how far you can go.

Tom Marty

Old 03-07-2016, 03:59 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The fact that we both share the driving is a big plus. I know that in many cases it is a "guy thing". Look around at school bus drivers and most of them are women driving those big rigs. The ladies driving school at the fall rally is always well attended.

Other than medical reasons there is no reason that the ladies can not drive any of our rigs. Our travel life style is a group effort we both contribute. I do not like to drive long distances. I do not like to drive in heavy traffic or through crowded cities neither does Helen but we do it. Helen can perform any of the tasks required in Rv'ing, driving, hook , unhook, set up, take down dumping, parking , backing and that is the way it should be.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:36 AM   #43
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
We try to travel about 300 or so a day but have traveled over 600 several different trips if needed. Thats really way too far and to call it fun. Like to get to next stop about 3-4 pm if possible in order to sit outside and sip something cold.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:57 PM   #44
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Rich I think it is great that you are both able to do the driving and the set up and tear down. I made my wife drive the truck with the old fifth wheel (freeway) just so she could if she had to. Maybe I can get her to start learning the set up especially since we have the auto leveling.

Tom Marty
Old 03-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A couple years ago we took the Montana in to the dealer for service. I went into the service desk to check in and do the paperwork. I noticed the 4 or 5 other guys there looking out the window. I looked out to the sight of Helen unhooking and setting up the Montana in the lot. One of the guys said...you let her do that...No said I she just does it and I am afraid to tell her not to. She is very handy.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #46
CWSWine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18254
We like to start our trips from the stick house early in the morning before the sun comes up and make it long day 10 to 12 hours. The rest of the day we gets up and try to be on the road some where around 8 or 9 and be off the road by 5:00 or so.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #47
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
We have been from Arizona to the East Coast and New England three times in three years and it usually takes us three weeks to a month to cross the country because we (1) never exceed 65 mph, (2) hardly ever travel more than 300 miles per day, (3) stay at least two and sometimes 4-5 nights per stop, and (4) are retired so we do not have to be anywhere in particular. We are on the road by 9:30-10:00 am, hit at least one rest stop and are setting up at the next stop by 3:00 pm. 4 1/2 to 5 hours at 65 mph is approx 300 miles and that is a good day for us.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:38 AM   #48
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
This can also be a west coast vs. east coast sort of thing.

The east coast is more compact, older windier roads, and distances aren't all that great.

Come to the west coast, and you'll find huge states, straight highways, and things are far apart.

In the fall of 2014 just days after I purchased my 2015 F-350 premium dually in South Dakota, we drove nonstop from Wyoming to San Diego. Yes we had been gone a long time and we were anxious to get home, and yes finally putting a dually under our largest of all Montana High Country units I learned why folks continue to sing the praises of a dually. Until you try it, you won't know what you're missing.

The old adage that one shoe doesn't fit all feet, is the lesson here. You drive what you have to, where you have to, and why you have to. But the journey could be your trip or whatever. Whatever you do, if you enjoy it, it's for you!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 AM   #49
MHC305RL
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15946
We both still work, so have to make the best time comfortable. The longest day for us on our Yellowstone trip was about 450 miles. It was about 8 hours IIRC. That is with our 2 daughters (20, 18) and our Mini Snuachzer in the truck too. Sometimes we tow at 60- 65 mph, sometimes its 70-75 mph. It depends on the road and traffic. With the dually, it is the most stable I have ever felt towing anything. No, I cant stop on a dime, but with 1 ton brakes, properly working brakes on the fiver, and tow/haul mode helping, I can stop pretty darn well.

I would love to be a full-timer and only travel
MHC305RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #50
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Just did a run to/from Florida. First day left at 5 pm on a Friday and did 450 miles. Did 750 miles the next day to get to st pete.

Return trip was 460 miles day 1 to get from St Pete to Santee, NC. Another 630 miles on day 2.

This approach is rare but will do it for big trips. I never hesitate to pull over if drowsy. I do munch on a lot of pretzel rods and drink a lot of iced tea to avoid the boredom.

Always drive 65 mph or less....use cruise control as much as possible.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #51
Goin 4 Broke
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15975
Great dialogue - we also just completed our annual run from Illinois to Florida. First day was to Manchester, TN about 575 miles. It was a LONGbday for me. We then had a short leg to Perry, GA and enjoyed a late start and early arrival, only 300 miles. Then the last leg to Jacksonville, again an easy day.

On our return trip we did a long run to Biloxi about 500 miles, then a run up to Memphis and home, the last leg another long one of over 500 miles.

I have learned that I get too crabby with the long runs. While I enjoy driving, getting to a location tired and hungry makes the set up no fun for my wife ( or me later!). So from now on I will only plan on 350 per day and MAYBE an occasional 400 if we are pressed for time.
Goin 4 Broke is offline   Reply With Quote