Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wow, glad you got it repaired. It is such a helpless feeling when your truck goes down.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

All insurance is a gamble. Over the 45 plus years we have paid homeowners insurance and auto insurance we have received only fraction of our money back so why have it???
Well, unless you paid cash for the home and/or car, you are required to have insurance by the bank.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
and... evaluating the risk, I think it would be foolish not to have insurance on your home, considering it is one of the greatest value of all assets. There were 480,500 structure fires, just too big of a risk.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:02 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Mu point was that one rarely" gets their money back" on insurance as many believe you should. I have insurance on everything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #25
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know you do Rich, just speaking in general terms, just thunkin out loud... or in print...
Old 02-22-2015, 01:57 AM   #26
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Hey, Rich! Seems like a few months back you were talking about renewing your ESP. Did that happen? And is it another 7/100,000? My original ESP will expire by time in the fall. I got the super dooper one with no deductible and it has long since paid for itself. And as the web sites say it's still worth north of $30,000 and is paid for, it's a no brainer to keep it covered!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:24 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes I did Walt. Same coverage same term. We are about to use it next week.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #28
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
When we bought our second policy the dealership told us it was really good we did not wait until the first one expired, we got a better.. read cheaper rate, and it was a smooth transaction.
Good luck on your repairs Rich.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:32 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
The worst non warranty problem I've experienced was with my wife's car. It cost $1800 to fix, and yes the extended warranty would have saved me money. However, that's the only vehicle we have owned that would have worked out that way. My winter beater is a 1999 Cavalier I bought for our daughter new in 1998. After 16 years, I've replaced the AC compressor ($450) and the alternator ($180). On my previous truck, I replaced 4 of the glow plugs, $300+ (don't remember exact amount), and that was the only out of warranty repair.

For those who like extended warranties - like Rich who seems to have the worst luck in the world, that's OK. Just never would worked out for us and would have cost us ten times more what actual repairs cost over the years. For those of you who can look back at their previous vehicles and see the same thing as us, I suggest either putting the money an extended warranty costs in the bank, or if you can't save money that way, get a credit card whose only purpose will be to pay for repairs if needed. Another thing: comparing costs savings of warranties based upon dealer rates is a little disingenuous as dealer rates are inflated compared to what work cost elsewhere. Just keep that in mind when quoting that an extended warranty saved you $2400 on a repair you could have had done for $1600 elsewhere.

I'm not in bad company when I say that extended warranties are a bad investment, as Consumer's Reports says the same thing. If however you decide you can't live without it, get it when you buy the vehicle and make it plain to the dealer that the sale of that vehicle will depend on the cost of the extended warranty. Dealers do have a lot of wiggle room on the price they charge for the warranty. Be very leery of third party warranties, even if offered by a dealer. There have been many complaints about them not covering things and even going bankrupt every few years to avoid paying claims, plus some repair facilities will not accept payment from them.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
I generally buy extended warranties, especially with the known problems with our truck, so it has paid for itself over and over. Rich has had problems with his trailers and we have had many issues with our truck. Last repair was over $10,000 and previous was very costly as well. Replaced rear differential. Always buy manufacturers warranty not aftermarket. They go out of business quite often. Our van warranty was Less than $2000 and is a "Lifetime" as long as I own the vehicle. Money well spent as far as I'm cocerned
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #31
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
Keep in mind that the purpose of buying insurance is not to use it down the road, but is for peace of mind (accept for the required insurance to protect others, like liability, and physical damage for the lienholder). That's why you don't have to buy physical damage coverage for anything. All you risk is that you are the one at fault and you have to pay for your own damages. As long as one is willing to pay the tab, regardless of who/what caused the damage/failure, then no need for insurance. The reason that we don't always recover what we pay for insurance, is because someone else has collected more than they have paid. With a small allowance for profit, that is all that insurance companies can charge, due to government regulations. Just the way insurance works.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ford found all my leaks. Both front and rear seals. Parts are in and the truck is at the dealers for repairs. That is covered by the Ford ESP less 100.00 deductible. There was also a coolant leak that required a hose replacement. 147.00 not covered by the ESP. so 247.00 out of my pocket. This is the first major issue that we have had with this truck. Have no idea what the front and rear seal replacement would have cost.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:46 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It our case it was not. . Like I said It is a gamble like all Insurance. We also feel that a RV is more likely to have a high $$ failure than others.. We have paid out many thousands of $$ on various Insurance and nor got anywhere close to our money back.

a high $$ failure on the truck like a drivetrain failure would no doubt end our RV'ing days.
We certainly got our money back on our Montana Extended warranties on the 06 3400 and are well on our way on this 13 Big sky. Like our homeowners Insurance I would rather have paid the $$ and never had a claim.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:25 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cost for replacing the front and rear seals parts and labor was 100.00 deductible of my Ford ESP. Have no idea what the front and rear seals parts and labor would have cost.