Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
I know there is some movement in the front nose as I can see it move up and down in my mirror in relation to the level I put on the more/ryde hitch. I will have to have someone video it with a ruler attached to see how much movement there is.

DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #22
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
DAR,
Here are a couple of the photos that I took over the weekend of our front cable side rooms. The main thing I noticed, was there was no signs of excessive wear where the cable enters the rig, and there is definitely no separation at the bottom frame. It really appears that the slide was out of adjustment and resulted in excessive cable rubbing and very possibly slide frame damage. That is just my take, here are the pics:

Front view of door side slide with bottom frame:

Closeup of the rear bottom frame of the same slide:

Rear side cable entry into rig (as good as I could get it):

Outer Cable attachment bracket (no fraying):

I don't know if this will help, but at least it gives you some sort of comparison.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #23
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Thanks for the pics they confirm that I have a problem that needs to be addressed I am leaning towards a frame flex problem,with the slide frame separating.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Have you provided your photos to Keystone? I would be questioning them intensely with regards to the fact that there is definitely a major problem present on your slides. They have a service center on the West Coast but I am not sure of the location, perhaps someone who has been there for service can chime in.
Bingo
Old 10-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have had no issues with cables at our dealership and we have lots of Montana's out there and many visiting from I 95. Hopefully your dealer will resolve this for you.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #26
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
thanks for the info Hook My service adviser keeps telling me all cables are problems I am loosing confidence in them to be able to repair this since it seems there answer is to just grease the cables.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Have you provided your photos to Keystone? I would be questioning them intensely with regards to the fact that there is definitely a major problem present on your slides. They have a service center on the West Coast but I am not sure of the location, perhaps someone who has been there for service can chime in.
Bingo
I have not yet been able to make a good contact with Keystone I am out of town visiting Family will be home next week then I will start the process with Keystone I still have one more Measurement on the Hitch pin I want to get before I send Info. So far all my contact with Keystone has been less than impressive, I am hoping for better Response this time.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will be interested in knowing how it is resolved, particularly since I just ordered another front cable slide model. Keep us informed.
Bingo
Old 10-07-2013, 06:23 PM   #29
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The other thing I would recommend is to have someone close the slides while you check the function of the cables, both from the inside and from the outside. They can start and stop the slides a little at a time so you can evaluate what is happening and whether the cable is being bound or contacting somewhere. That at least would be a cheap check!
Bingo
Good advice I will do that Thank You
Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #30
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
I am not sure if anyone have posted this link which shows the cable slide replacement method.

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/video/video.htm

I just had my cable replaced here at the factory.
Blk_Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #31
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blk_Adventurer

I am not sure if anyone have posted this link which shows the cable slide replacement method.

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/video/video.htm

I just had my cable replaced here at the factory.
Thanks for the Link I have seen it and have all of the instructions in PDF on my Computer.
Did You have it done at Keystone or Norco??? Did they give you a reason why your cable broke on this new of a unit?
Old 10-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #32
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
The work is being done at Keystone. I was told the frame flex is the issue causing the cable breakage. Once the cable falls out of alignment with the hole , friction causes the cable to gradually tread away.

The frame flex issue was minimum, more cosmetic then structural since no frame welding or cracks were noted.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #33
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Blk_Adventurer

The work is being done at Keystone. I was told the frame flex is the issue causing the cable breakage. Once the cable falls out of alignment with the hole , friction causes the cable to gradually tread away.

The frame flex issue was minimum, more cosmetic then structural since no frame welding or cracks were noted.
Now you have stirred my curiosity even more. There is frame flex so what did they do to address the issue??? I don't understand how it can be minimal if it is causing the slide frame to flex enough to rub the cable till it breaks, to me that would be more than minimal. If the frame flex issue is not addressed it will continue to rub the cable till it breaks. If your slide frame is coming apart like mine is in the pics posted in this thread, you will be back at the dealer or Keystone in a couple months.
I do hope you that you do not have a severe issue, I would not wish this on anyone.

Also did they take open up the frame by the hitch area to look for the cracked welds etc.? I assume they would have to do that to know how severe the flex is.

I am asking these questions to have a general understanding of what to expect If Keystone is willing to step up and take care of this issue on mine.
Thank you for your responses I hope more folks that have cable and Frame Flex issues will speak up also.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #34
Blk_Adventurer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12203
In a short response, yes they take the hold front cap off and check weld problems, this was my main concern. They removed the slide and repaired the areas that you have pics of, how long this last will be my concern. I wish it was a better way to replace the cables without removing the wood trimming.

You need to make Keystone aware of the problems during the warranty period, they have been known to pay for these problems outside the warranty period.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #35
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Update: Sent the Pictures to Keystone and to the Dealer Service adviser of course Keystone has the same stock comment , The dealer is our eyes and ears. The dealer says the best he can tell from the pics the damage to frames are cosmetic and not an indication of any issues, and he would forward the pics to Keystone. I emailed him back if I should bring the unit by one day say he can get a good look at it, that was a couple of weeks ago,and he has not responded. We are taking the unit out for a few days next week and then I will get after him to respond! If needed I will go to the local area rep for Keystone which is what will Prob happen.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #36
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Since we are going to use the Monty next week does anyone know what type of glue is used to hold the Slide Wipes in Place?
Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #37
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
IMHO, I would seek out a very skilled technician or ask Keystone to allow me to go to a factory recommended dealer. We have had no units returned to our shop for cable driven slide repair . We sell many lines other than Montana and have not had problems with them either. There is something more than just the cable amiss here.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #38
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Thanks for the Reply Hook and I agree with you these things should not just break without a reason
Old 12-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #39
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
With our 3800, the Frame Flex was causing the slide frame to move and pull apart on the lower left hand corner of the bedroom slide. When the slide frame is flexing up and down while traveling down the road, it rubs against the cable causing it to fray. When the did the so called field repair the first time they made the holes in the slide frame larger so the cables would not rub in case of future flexing, Hello patch job in my opinion.

On the second go around with our Frame Flex, the cable did not fray but the slide frame did pull apart again, as mentioned on another thread, they welded the 2 cross members together that are located at the back of the hitch location that go from side to side in the goose neck area, also did some welding in the propane tank area with the use of about 18" of angle iron, not sure what that is going to solve but we will give it a try. If this welding cures the Frame Flex, and it is that easy to fix, why is Keystone not doing this from the get go?

This Frame Flex issue has been a real concern of mine and defiantly a major safety issue also !!!!!!!!!!
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #40
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The process that Keystone required me to do when I refused to take the trailer back to the selling dealer was to go to a different dealer. I was required to pay for the inspection to determine what the failure was and to determine the cause of the failure. The new dealer sends their report to Keystone. If Keystone turns down the request for assistance then you are out the cost of the inspection.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote