Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #1
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
dynamic balancing beads

I don't recall anyone here mentioning balancing beads.

Once again I have to replace my truck tires. I have always had an issue with constantly having to rebalance the front tires. And to rotate requires mount and dismount; rebalance with a dually.

I remember reading about Balancers that go between the wheel and brake hub and some truckers swear by them.

I can see the point that the beads are confined with a limited diameter area and may restrict the airflow to the rotors. Which I never thought about until I started this research.

After doing some research on the web. I found there is a powder type substance they can inject. Drawback is moisture causes it to clump
Then I found another company that has glass type beads. But I guess from what I read was the glass wears and creates a fine powder that may be hazardous.
I then found a company that has ceramic beads the get injected through the valve stem.

I can't seem to find a lot of negative on this type of product. Unless you are part of the Marabomb or other mfr blowout club. I have to admit to that. Once SOB and once with my montana. Its funny how people have utility, car, boat, heavy equipment, Landscape trailers and so very few blowouts.
There are U tube video's. Lots of Motorcycle positive testaments as to the positive effects. being a former MC rider myself you really know when something is a fowl when riding two wheels.

Anyway one company is:
http://www.innovativebalancing.com
There FAQ is probably the best of the companies I researched.

An independent short video demonstrating using a water bottle and a variable speed drill:

Granted if you get a blowout they are gone and so is your sheet metal, and wheel well trim also. I've been there done that too.
The new front load washing machine I bought for the stick house has dynamic balancing. Which kinda prompted this thought trail again.

So I would like to know. Anyone here in MOC using such a product or similar and what are your experiences?

Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I have owned duallys for years and rotate all six tires never removing them from the rim. Balance with speed balancer and lead. Never a problem. What am I missing here?
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
Had ceramic beads in our motorhome tires. They worked great. Took 3 heat cycles on the tires to get them perfect. Never did anything again until I bought new tires six years later (50,000 miles).
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
There is another forum I go to that swear by balance fluid. Haven't tried it myself but if interested: http://www.ktbproducts.com/id3.html

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Balancemasters.com

centramatic.com
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I have never used anything of this nature, but I do have my tires "Force Balanced" with great results.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DTIEDEMAN

Had ceramic beads in our motorhome tires. They worked great. Took 3 heat cycles on the tires to get them perfect. Never did anything again until I bought new tires six years later (50,000 miles).
X2 on a class A Motorhome. Couldn't get the shake out of the front end until I added the beads.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by uhftx

I don't recall anyone here mentioning balancing beads.

Once again I have to replace my truck tires. I have always had an issue with constantly having to rebalance the front tires. And to rotate requires mount and dismount; rebalance with a dually.

Hi

How about more information on this.

I have been rotating my tires every oil change and haven’t had to dismount or rebalance yet. I am on my second set of tires on the TV.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:43 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Phil ... I'd suggest you getting a 4 wheel alignment ... if your alignment is off on both axles ... all the rotating and balancing in the world won't matter.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

I have owned duallys for years and rotate all six tires never removing them from the rim. Balance with speed balancer and lead. Never a problem. What am I missing here?
Maybe its just my Truck wheel combination. I'm Glad you can rotate like you do. But I can't because of my Aluminimum rims. My Front rims are different from the rear rims. The outer rims on the dually look similar in style to the fronts however the offset is different for them.

I will not rotate side to side because the cords in the tires have already taken their set for the forward rolling rotation and I do not believe in stretching the cords in the opposite direction.

Thanks for the info.

I take my Truck to the alignment shop have new tires put on. Alignment 4 wheel is all in the green on their laser machine.
There always is a point where the slight shimmy starts say 68mph, speed up to about 72 and its gone again. Drive for another 6 months and the shimmy that was at 68mph has shifted to say 54mph and continues to 58mph or so. Just as an example not real numbers.
When I take the truck in for an annual inspection I always have them rebalance the tires. They have to be removed to inspect the brakes anyway so I am paying $23.98/pair to rebalance the fronts annually.

The ceramic bead company I referenced above has dually 6oz 6bags with stems for $~82 plus shipping. Some of the balancer disks someone else here referenced balance masters were $175 for just the front steer axle. and the centrifugal force is still closer to the center of the hub, even closer then lead weights applied to the exterior of the rim. Once the tires have been spun balanced and driven for a few or 10 thousand miles. I would be willing to bet the lead weights that were originally installed would need to be re-adjusted.
Thats my feelings anyway.

Anyhow. Thanks for all the replies everyone.
I'm going to go ahead and order some for the truck and trailer.

Have fun on your travels Camping

Old 07-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
A word about using beads. You need to replace the valve stem with a special one that have filters built into them. Using the standard valve stems will leak if you ever let air out as the beads will prevent the valve from resealing. Stopping the wheel with stem on top will minimize but not 100%.
I have first hand experience with beads as I helped son put them in his motor home. They worked as designed. Well pleased but I would opt for the fluid.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Question for bead owners ... have you ever had a tire spun up on a balancer to see if it really does the job or are your testimonials seat of the pants based with just possibly a bit of placebo thrown in?
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I use Dyna beads on my motorcycle and they seem to work great. I have used them on two sets of tire so far.
I would like to do a test and have the tires checked for balance on a spim balancer then install the beads and see if they realy do work. I have always put them in when I installing the tires and don't see if the tires are out of balcance or not before.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
Never had the tires spun after the beads were installed but the ride was as good as any car I have owned.
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Dieselguy

Are you talking to me?

I don’t have tire problems. I rotate them every oil change in accordance with GM’s recomendation. I am on my second set of tires and I have 100,000 miles on the TV. I have never had to rebalance the tires and I don’t have any abnormal wear.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote