Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Where's the yellow brick road to Ozz

I don't believe he can help but just in case Ozz here's a problem I have. Was sitting right under the main AC this morning having breakfast and the AC kicked on. I think it was when the compressor kicked on it made a loud click or pop and everything in the trailer kicked on and off. It was real quick cause the clocks stayed on and the TV stayed on channel. But everything is back on running normal except for the main AC. I am plugged into a 30 amp svc and only had on the main AC. I have checked both GFI outlets and went around to all the outlet to be sure they are working. The bedroom AC runs fine and the furnace also kicks on. When I turn the switch on and off at the thermostat we hear a click in the AC unit. I have checked the fuses and kicked the breakers on and off to verify they worked. I went and bought a new 50 to a 30 amp adapter in case one side was burned off. So I am out of ideas????? My question is, what else if anything can I check, or has the AC bought the farm...don't have a lot of tools here since I am on the road. But any suggestions would be appreciated. I would wait till we got home to fix it since I have the bedroom AC, but it is not on a thermostat and is only a 13.5K and once I start south I doubt that it would keep up... Thanks

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I P.M'd steelpony.
Time to check every electrical connection on the circuit in the trailer. sober, hopefully....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ozz, sorry but didn't get a PM, and nope no slushies so far. Now thats not saying after today I'm not going to have 1 or 2 lol lol..... Do you know what else Keystone usually puts on that side of the circuit with an AC. Not sure what else I can check since everything else works that's why I kinda figured it had to be something to do with the compressor. But I am no AC man so that's why I am asking you lol lol
Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Oh, sorry, I don't know where it went, I sent it. What I said is to (First flip the A/C breaker off...verify it is off..) then check every line voltage connection in the circuit, up in the connection box inside A/C in the trailer, and go on the roof, remove the cowling on the A/C unit, check the line voltage connections: Big wires, and pop off the small terminal cover, check to see if the wires are good, not burned. I have save many compressors by installing new connections on the compressor terminals. They get hot if installed loose, then the wire burns in two, or melts the connection. What you described could have been a line break. Like you are thinking, the compressor could have gone Tango Uniform as well...
The A/C unit is the only thing on that circuit.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:29 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok Thanks I will try to give it the once over but have limited tools since I am on the road. I can at least check for burned or broken wires in the unit. Thanks again
Old 07-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #6
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Quote:
quote:the compressor could have gone Tango Uniform as well...
took me minute on that one Ozz, but I get it.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ok, where's my sign??? I think I just found my AC problem. I had already gone over the breakers and fuses and as Ozz advised I checked as much of the wiring I could. Didn't find anything so we towed it out to the local dealer here Sun. in preparation for them to check it out and fix it so I can pay them money. I was sitting here going over stuff and searching the MOC site for anything I over looked. Decided to power it all down one more time to see what happened. When I did so I see the washer/dryer breaker is thrown. Hmmmmmm lets turn it back one just for the heck of it. Well guess what, yeah the AC fan comes on. They have the AC and the washer/dryer breakers mislabeled. I should have know better then to trust the markings but I did. But good thing is I don't gotta pay to have someone laugh at me tomorrow. lol lol You guys can laugh at me though....
Old 07-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'm not going to laugh at you. I have had enough laughable incidents on myself. I will suggest you take a little of the money you saved and buy a volt ohm meter. They are invaluable in shooting electrical problems. Jim
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Don't be so hard on yourself Steelpony. If you consider that all you did was TRUST someone who screwed up on the label, that ain't your fault. In fact, you get an "attaboy" because you figured this out.

Is it possible that your rig did not have the 2nd A/C prep and the installer just used that circuit for a 2nd A/C and FORGOT to change the label? Did you find a 2nd A/C breaker during your search and it was labelled correctly? I believe the furnace would be a 12v breaker since RV systems are separate units for cooling and heating.

Great job on just not giving up. "Made in USA" used to mean better things to me, but with RVs there have been disappointments for sure. But I still do love my Monty and appreciate all it's taught me!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
LOL I did just have the 2nd AC added before this trip. It is marked in different ink on the next available breaker. This has been a learning trip. So far I have lost all 4 hub cabs, then the AC problem, had to bolt back on the end wall of the sewer hose compartment that came off, just found we lost one of the slide keepers on the end of the awning arm, the frig door came open and spilled it's contents on the floor and when the wife started the slide out of course stuff got caught and popped the wood trim off, good thing we caught it in time before it caused more damage, the string came off the hook on the big windows day/nite shades, the bathroom fan blade exploded cause it came off and hit the screen, broke one of the sliding mirrored wardrobe doors latch, so it seems everyday is something new to fix lol lol....But so far it's nothing I can't handle. Just kinda irks me when I think of my last trailer which made 3 trips here and we were thinking and can't ever remember getting my tools out for it. But we do like this trailer more for extended living in cause we have more room and it is homey so the wife is happy.