Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
FIXED -Livingroom Slide

2006 3400RL: OK, it must be my turn. I just posted about the front AC and a water dripping issue. NOW, my living room slide will not slide out. The pump is working, the slide will slide part of the way and then labor and sloowly slide out. But not all the way out. I can hand twist the rod/rail between the two gears and help it complete sliding out. The slide WILL slide back in with no assistance. My thought, the slide is sliding out "crooked" and pinching the slide mechanisim? I see the nuts on the end plate of the rails, I am thinking of loosening them and adjusting the slide on the side to side alignment. Any thoughts or ideas will be appreciated. The fuses is NOT blowing, I have assured there is plenty of fluid in the resevoir.

UPDATE: YEAH! Lippert replaced the cylinder this morning and all is right again. For those who know Ron from Trail-aire, he is now at Lippert. He is the lead tech for Level-up and also performs other repair as well.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It does sound like the slide out is out of adjustment. It wouldn't be unusual for the slideout to extend or retract differently like when my slides used to stutter when my circuit breakers were underrated. Those are my thoughts, unfortunately, other than reading how to adjust the slides in the manual some time ago I have never actually done it, so I am out of ideas.

Others have posted how to and hopefully they will post soon.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
See my post here.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Just a thought, if the slide is not binding on either side, the slide topper wouldn't be seizing up, would it?
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The slide topper material, in my opinion would rip (or another part of the mechanism) because of the tremendous force exerted by the hydraulic ram.

Question: when running out your slide, when it stops does the pump lower in pitch like it does when you are at the end of the stroke of the ram?
Old 08-08-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming there is no binding since you say you can help it by turning the balance shaft and it retracts OK ... This is just an alternate thought ... There are two opposing lip seals on the piston in your ram ... perhaps the seal on the extend side is failing but not the seal on the retract side. This scenerio would account for the ability to retract, but not to sucessfully extend.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:00 PM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Michael,

I had to work on the stick house bathtub/shower today. The water faucet went and failed. So spent the day removing the panels to gain access and replacing the faucet and re-plumbing! IT IS NOT MY WEEK!

The pump motor does not increase pitch until I reach the end of the piston stroke. Again with hand assistance to extend all the way. I am contemplating swapping the hose between valves to see if the valve is bad at the pump. My thought is the valve is open for the extend (orange hose), but the return path is on the "black" hose which is common?
Old 08-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I like DG's opinion. Makes sense with the information we have.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
UPDATE: Ok, I used The Lippert Hydraulic Slide-out and Hydraulic Landing Gear System and Operation Service Manual, page 23, trouble shooting a bad cylinder. It indicates closing the slide, loosen the hose from the manifold (extend) port. If more than a few drops, the internal cylinder is leaking.

I loosened the hose and fluid flowed, not a few drops. So, it appears I have a bad seal on the cylinder for the living room slide.

Has anyone else read this manual and came up with the same conclusion?

Thanks everyone for your comments and direction.

bw2

Bob
Old 08-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We use the test Lippert describes often in the field troubleshooting hyd cylinders. Just to be sure we're on the same page ... after extending the slide full travel, you loosened the line on the rod end of the cylinder not the frame mounted end, then operated the slide pump in the extend mode. If more than a few drops (as in small stream) ooze out while the pump is running ... the lip seal is shot on one or both sides of the cylinder. Don't run the pump any longer than is necessary to make a determination. Assuming you've already dropped part of the belly pan to loosen the hose, replacing the cylinder is simple. Be sure and measure the spacing of the 1 1/4" nuts on the threaded end before disassembly ... this will get you close as far as stroke adjustments when it all goes back together. Cycling the slide in and out about 3 times will automatcally bleed the air from the system. I know the Lippert manual is talking retract instead of extend, but either way, you're checking for the same thing, leakage past the piston seals on the cylinder. I prefer to make my checks at the cylinder itself if possible.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
UPDATE: I verified the test with Lippert and it appears the seal is leaking on the piston. I have an appt. for next week to have the piston replaced. Thanks to all for your help!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
YEAH! Lippert replaced the cylinder this morning and all is right again. For those who know Ron from Trail-aire, he is now at Lippert. He is the lead tech for Level-up and also performs other repair as well.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Bob,

Do you have any contact info for Ron? He installed a trail air pin box for me and I have a concern with it I would like to run by him. I tried calling Lipert and talking to their "service help" but they were pretty clueless.

Thanks,

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:14 AM   #14
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
When you say your having the piston replaced, your talking about having the cylinder repacked, correct?
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #15
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bw2

YEAH! Lippert replaced the cylinder this morning and all is right again. For those who know Ron from Trail-aire, he is now at Lippert. He is the lead tech for Level-up and also performs other repair as well.
Are these cylinder not able to be repacked??? If nothibng is broken, repacking is very cheap!
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Mine were opposing lip seals on the piston ... Lippert sells you the whole cylinder ... I'd imagine with some investigation, you could locate the seal numbers. Sadly where I work, several of the new cylinders we get for our machines are "use em till they fail" then throw them away as they are not repairable. Ahhhh the evolving world that we live in.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #17
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Yes, they replaced the cylinder, my bad on "piston"