Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Need Satelite Finder

Can someone recommend a good satelite signal finder for DishTV.
I seem to have lots of trouble finding a signal.
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Bird Dog There is also another brand that has a TV built in. Perhaps someone else knows the brand. I have used a Bird Dog quite a bit. It will identify the satellites, but of course it is a bit pricey.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:58 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I bought one and now find it was a total waste of money, we just call up the signal strength screen on the tv and the wife sits inside and me outside with our cell phones, we hunt and set. Normal set up is less than 5 minutes.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I just use wireless earphones and after adjusting my basic settings to the area I listen for the tone as I move it around a little. A lot of the times I am almost dead on and it takes a couple of minutes. If I'm in trees sometimes it will take a little longer to get both sats.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I installed a TV in the basement and just swivel it around,watching the signal strength when I am looking for the satellites. Works great and takes no longer than 5 minutes or less!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Radio Shack sells a satellite finder for about $30 which I've used extensively. I fine tune the signal in using this finder.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use the Wineguard(sp), but I like the idea of using the TV signal strength with DW on the cell phone. When it's raining, switch positions. her outside.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We use the Align-A-Sight when we are in the trees. When just out in the open we use the much cheaper Satellite Finder.

BTW, we use Dish Network, and know that Direct is much easier to site. Most Direct users don't need any type of satellite finder.

Will, is $500 the going price? We thought we were extravagant when we bought the Align-A Sight!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
As others have said using the TV and the menue button on the Direct-Tv remote is about the best way to find the signal. I have used the signal finders and the only problem is they will pick up any sattelite signal. I also have a Birdog signal which work great, however its very pricey. I wish now that I hadn't paid the price. Good Luck. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Gee Robbie, for $155.00 I hope it looks at the stars at night!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

We use the Align-A-Sight when we are in the trees. When just out in the open we use the much cheaper Satellite Finder.

BTW, we use Dish Network, and know that Direct is much easier to site. Most Direct users don't need any type of satellite finder.

Will, is $500 the going price? We thought we were extravagant when we bought the Align-A Sight!
You can occasionally catch one one Ebay for less. I used one my son has for some time. The software can be updated as satellites are added in orbit. If traveling a lot, I might invest in one myself. However, no more that we move, I have been using one called "Satellite Buddy". Works good, except it can put you on the wrong satellite.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:50 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Wayne,

The Align-a-Site was the result of a weak moment after trying unsuccessfully several times to get connected to the Dish Network and our HughesNet internet dish. We bought that little item the second week of fulltimng, and it is probably the least used high-priced item we carry.

On the bright side, after getting a little bit smarter, we no longer have the HugesNet or that cumbersome satellite dish and tripod, but I still use the Align-a-Site once in a while when we are in the trees, it makes the difference between being able to get the signal and not getting it. We have also used it for picking a camping spot before setting up the dish.......our brains are still growing, and we are STILL able to learn from our mistakes.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Before I had HD, I used a cheap signal finder meter. After I got the HD set up, I found myself trying to peak everything on the the wrong satelite. I bought a Bird Dog, a little pricey, but it does identify the satelite, and does make the three way alignment easier. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote