Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2024, 09:20 AM   #1
Dobie dogs
Established Member

M.O.C. #15752
GFI issue for new owners

I lost power to the kitchen outlets the outdoor outlet and the basement outlet. Then I started checking and tracing to wiring.
After emptying the basement and opening the access panels to expose the wiring. Also removing the fireplace to trace wiring.
I also checked the breakers and had power through them so somewhere between the breaker and the outlets was the problem.
On the breaker panel it stated gfi kitchen. Well there weren’t any gfi outlets in the kitchen.
So the ahah moment was when I went in the bathroom and found the gfi in the bathroom was tripped I reset it and all power was restored.
How the bathroom is on the kitchen circuit doesn’t make sense, but does anything make sense on these rv’s?
So if this happens to any of you before you jump into a major hunt check the bathroom outlet.
I have a 2020 3701RL model.

Dobie dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:27 AM   #2
High5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33861
Good tip.

In general, GFI (GFCI) will be located at the first receptacle in the circuit, closest to the breaker and protects everything downstream from it. These bathrooms usually only have one receptacle, so won't be on their own circuit. I'm sure it's dependent on floorplan, but in all of our trailers the GFI outlet has been located in the bathroom as well.
High5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:43 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I know some have GFCIs in the kitchen area, including on the side of the kitchen island. I suspect those doing the wiring have wiring guidelines rather than specific detailed diagrams to follow. That leaves each person leeway on how they wire it. And that freedom will often lead to the easiest rather than the most logical.

And then there are mistakes. When we first got ours our refrigerator would sometimes work and sometimes not. Or inflatable sofa bed air mattress pump would sometimes work and sometimes not. Took it back to dealer. Long story short, we finally found that the living room outlets and refrigerator outlet were wired to the ceiling fan switch. Fan on, all worked. Fan off, none worked.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:02 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I know some have GFCIs in the kitchen area, including on the side of the kitchen island. I suspect those doing the wiring have wiring guidelines rather than specific detailed diagrams to follow. That leaves each person leeway on how they wire it. And that freedom will often lead to the easiest rather than the most logical.

And then there are mistakes. When we first got ours our refrigerator would sometimes work and sometimes not. Or inflatable sofa bed air mattress pump would sometimes work and sometimes not. Took it back to dealer. Long story short, we finally found that the living room outlets and refrigerator outlet were wired to the ceiling fan switch. Fan on, all worked. Fan off, none worked.
Best one I've heard yet
Old 03-01-2024, 07:45 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Best one I've heard yet
Yeah, right up there with my tires being stuck to super hot asphalt and me thinking my transmission was crapped out.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:30 PM   #6
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
The only outlets that need to be ground-fault protected are those in proximity to water exposure, ergo, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, outdoor outlet and pass-through outlet. For our 3121RL that is a total of 5 outlets on a 20 amp circuit. The GFCI outlet that provides protection for that entire circuit happens to be in the bathroom. You don't need multiple GFCI outlets unless you have multiple circuits that need to be protected.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:47 PM   #7
Trvlr2x2

M.O.C. #33100
Same crazy wiring when we bought our 2012 295rkd. First cold weather trip the furnace kept shutting off, we finally figured out when the hall light switch was on we had heat. Shut light off - furnace off. Took to dealership while still under warranty and inside the shop they had furnace running just fine . Said nothing was wrong that they could find . My husband asked if he could show them the issue . Went into the shop and yes the hall light was on and furnace was running. He enjoyed showing them no light- no heat!
Trvlr2x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:52 PM   #8
RacerX
Established Member

M.O.C. #33101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLM8 View Post
The only outlets that need to be ground-fault protected are those in proximity to water exposure, ergo, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, outdoor outlet and pass-through outlet. For our 3121RL that is a total of 5 outlets on a 20 amp circuit. The GFCI outlet that provides protection for that entire circuit happens to be in the bathroom. You don't need multiple GFCI outlets unless you have multiple circuits that need to be protected.
What he said ^ with one caveats. In our rig the bathroom GFI protects many of the indoor outlets near sinks etc as well but because the outdoor outlet is on the Inverted circuit we have a second GFI in the bedroom as first position on the inverted circuit. I have heard in other posts that this second gfi can be found in a few other places as well. In the passthru and behind the TV are the few that come to mind. So as the original poster indicated, check GFIs first before tearing into wiring, but recognize that your rig may have two.

(When our bedroom slide is closed….the bedroom GFi is not visible….so it isn’t necessarily obvious. )
Old 03-06-2024, 02:07 PM   #9
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Our inverter has a GFI built into it which would protect the inverted outlets when the inverter is providing power. If on shore power the inverter is isolated and there would have to be another GFI in the circuit(s) to protect it, which would explain your bedroom GFI. Makes me think I need to re-check our layout!
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gfi