Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
2350nbabe
Established Member

M.O.C. #14061
First time Blackstone Griddle Season

A couple of months ago someone posted their seasoning technique for the first time they used their Blackstone. They actually put the griddle on their gas grill, closed the lid and put the grill burners on high and left it on until griddle turned black. Am I remembering this process correctly. I cannot find the post on the forum that actually pertained to this.

2350nbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 01:35 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
There is a blackstone YouTube channel....

https://youtu.be/jkKoVX0d04I?feature=shared
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 03:46 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Also take a look at Blackstone Betty and the Waltwins on You Tube. Great recipes and advise.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:04 PM   #4
Jon Susn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20311
Biggest thing you can do to season your grill is to scrape it with spatula, Pour about 1/2 cup of water on it then immediately wipe down with rag. When it is dry coat litely with oil. I use avocado oil as it has a higher smoking point than veg oil.
This needs to be done immediately after you are done cooking your meal. It takes only a couple minutes and I have never had even 1 spot of rust or damage to the griddle. I have a camp chef pro90 3 burner. I close it up with the side tables on each end then cover with the griddle cover when it is cool to the touch. I have done this going on 4 years now and the griddle stays out in the weather on an uncovered deck from Mar till Dec every year.
Hope this helps and Happy grilling
2014 FORD 250 SUPERDUTY 6.7L 4X4 PLATINUM
Jon Susn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 02:24 PM   #5
Sr. Oso
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31705
If you are using your Blackstone for the first time, follow Blackstone's directions, they work=> take some soapy water, clean, and dry the surface of the griddle. After it's dry, turn on the griddle on high until it starts to smoke. Start with about 2 tablespoons of the Blackstone seasoning, spreading it around the griddle (use more if needed). Leave the griddle on high until the grease burns off, turning the griddle surface black. Repeat.

If you have spots towards the front where the griddle haven't turned, pick up the griddle (using welding gloves or similar), detaching the feet from the flame box, and turn so that the front faces the back. Repeat the grease process and you should have a blackened/seasoned surface. Replace the griddle to it's original position.

Lastly, spread some vegetable oil of your choice around the griddle top, let heat until it starts to smoke and turn off the burners.

From here it's up to you to make sure you keep your griddle top clean and oiled after each use. I've have a 22" model that I've used for 3 years and have never had any rust on it.
Enjoy!
PS, I highly recommend windshields - you can find them on Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackstone.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	16715  
2021 RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins, Airlift 5000, PullRite Superglide #2315
Sr. Oso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 07:10 AM   #6
2350nbabe
Established Member

M.O.C. #14061
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2350nbabe View Post
A couple of months ago someone posted their seasoning technique for the first time they used their Blackstone. They actually put the griddle on their gas grill, closed the lid and put the grill burners on high and left it on until griddle turned black. Am I remembering this process correctly. I cannot find the post on the forum that actually pertained to this.
Thank you to everyone who posted a reply to seasoning our Blackstone. I followed the prescribed directions using Grapeseed oil. Bingo, Blackstone is seasoned and works great.
2350nbabe is offline   Reply With Quote