Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Fishing and Full timing

I have a question that I am sure will be answered by many, and I am looking forward to the ideas.

I am a very avid fisherman and have a bass boat and I place that I will be at in the summer months here in Mi. My question is, when traveling around the country and wanting to fish, what do we do for a boat, etc.? Don't want to even try to double haul my bass boat, to me just to big a pain, not to count all other issues that will come on that. I have been looking into the inflatable boats also, but just not sure where to store it. But I do like my fishing, and I know the need will be there!!

And where is a good place to land for the winter months where fishing is close by, or right at your doorstep?

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I do not know what your financial situation is. But using a local guide gets in a boat and a person who knows the area. A web search of an area you are planning to visit should provide some good results for instance a search of Lake Fork here in Texas which by the way has some of the best Bass and Cat fishing in the Country, the search will bring up a page like this with links to everything you need. http://www.ets-systems.com/. And Texas is not a bad place to winter.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:20 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Check with WayneM he purchased a fold boat and had a mount made under his 3400RL to carry it in a folded configuration. The motor, seats, etc., were to be carried in the TV. Really slick setup and a nice boat. I beleive he has the whole rig up for sale. He lives on the site so he will probably be a long in a while.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The two most common approaches are either an aluminum boat on top of the truck or a Porta-Bote.

Several members have 12-14' aluminum boats they carry on top of the truck. They have to be loaded at the front due to the overhang of the fifth wheel into the bed. This means a "goal post" type front mount (typically in conjunction with a front 2" receiver mount), and a rack assembly in the front of the bed. Add in a 12V winch to load/unload the boat on the rack and it is relatively painless.

Another alternative is the use of a Porta-Bote. This is a collapsible plastic boat that folds down for storage. They come is different lengths of 10', 12' and 14'. The 12' bote has a 5' beam with 2' gunnels. They fold for storage into a package 4" high by 2' wide by the boat length (10, 12, or 14'). Many of us (WayneM included) have a roller rack system installed under our Montana's to carry the folded bote. We had a fleet of four Porta-Botes at Memorial Day at the Lake Siskiyou Montana gathering.

In either case, you will be carrying the motor and ancillary parts (seats, PFDs, etc) in the truck or trailer.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Hey! I resemble that remark.

I purchased the 10'6" Porta-bote when I had the 3400 RL. I built a rolling rack underneath for hauling, but unfortunately I never used it. There are others on here that have other designs, but it will fit under a Monty. They also sell a kit that will allow you to mount it on the side, but that does require drilling holes, etc. I did not want to go that way but I have seen it mounted like that at campgrounds on motorhomes.

The 10'6" weighs in just about 90 pounds, I put a couple straps around it with a piece of PVC as a handle and when balanced properly I can move it from the garage to the the grass. Speaking of which, it has only seen grass, twice, when i was just testing out the set up. I almost did what someone did in a video, and that is slip and have it close up on me - but it didn't, so there.

I have the complete Porta-bote with accessories, including Porta-wheels which allow one person to transport it down to a dock, walking, and I also had made a cusomized cover ($500 price tag for me) by a sailmaker. The cover was to protect it from rocks that may be kicked up by the TV. It is a sturdy, lined, heavy duty cover, supposedly stronger than Vinyl. I also have the 5 horse power Nissan 4 stroke motor. The only thing the motor has seen is the oil I put in it in anticipation of taking the boat out. Neither the boat or the notor has seen, or been in, water. (Quiet Jim) About the time that I really was going to go fishing I sold the 3400 and the 1 ton. So here I sit - land locked.

I believe my total cost was right around $2700. I'd let the whole kit and kaboodle go for $2300 if anyone is interested.

Edited: No! That does not include delivery.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 AM   #6
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I had one of those blow up boats you see in every RV magazine with a small Kicker. Sold it after using it twice.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:51 AM   #7
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We carried the 12' Porta-Bote on the big slide of our 2955RL for years and loved having it. We used a 5 hp outboard, which was carried in the front locker, and the seats, etc. were carried in the big storage area. They are great little boats.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I have the port a bote 10 ft size and I only use a trolling motor with mine. I carry it under the 3400 in a plywood box with rollers on the inside to facilitate loading and unloading. Great fishing boat but don't think I will be doing any water skiing behind it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #9
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
We have a 10' Zodiac that I carry on the bed cover but that isn't possible with a 5th wheel. My boat deflates and folds up into a rather small package and can be stored in the trailer along with the motor, etc. This isn't a good solution unless you stay in the same place for an extended time.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I was seriously looking into the Porta boat in the 12' size. Just wasn't sure how good they are, or how stable they are. But it appears that they do the job. Thanks everyone for the info. Once again the MOC comes with answers.

Thanks again.
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
If you want to learn more about Porta-Botes, I suggest you join the Porta-Bote Yahoo Group (actually there are two of them). Lots of good information (kinda like here), pictures of various modifications, and Sandy Kaye, the owner of Porta-Bote is an active participant. A good place to start is:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/PortaBote/?v=1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=17
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We also got a 12 ft porta boat. It fits in a cage underneath the Montana like everyone else has done. I don't think the cage would work if your Montana is a newer one with the dropped basement. We kinda regret getting the 12ft and wish we had went with the 10ft just for ease of carrying it to the water and storage. We got both motors gas & trolling. We have only used the gas x1 as we fish mostly lakes and the trolling works great. It does everything you want it to do. Beats sitting onthe dock but not as nice as the bass boat that sits in the garage. We called Porta Boat and found out where the next show they where presenting them at and drove there to see them before we bought.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote