Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
eZAK
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26857
Question Back up camera

Hello,
My rig is prepped with a backup camera system.

I would like to know what it would take to make it operational.

If you have done this please let me know.

Thank You.

Old 09-21-2022, 04:13 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I have the Furrion 7 inch monitor and rear/side marker cameras. You can buy just the monitor and rear camera if you don't want the side marker cameras also.
I love having the rear camera as I can see what's going on behind me while travelling. It does help some when backing into a smaller site, but the real advantage is to see traffic approaching from the rear. I rarely use the side marker cameras except when changing lanes or to get a better view down the side of the rig.
Installation is quite easy with the pre-wire, literally plug and play. Takes less than 30 minutes.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:32 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZAK View Post
Hello,
When you are hitched up with pigtail plugged in, the camera turns on when you turn the headlights on. Find a place on your truck dash to mount the monitor. If the monitor has not been paired with the camera you need to do that (it’s a one time thing). The term “backup camera” is somewhat misleading. Most folks use it to monitor traffic behind the rig as you drive. My rig does not have side cameras as described by RMcNeal. Yours is newer and it might have the side cameras.

My OEM Furrion system was low res and it would loose signal frequently while driving highway speeds. I bought a different high res system last year. It also lost signal. The system manufacturer sent me a fix but I have yet to test it.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by eZAK View Post
Hello,

If you have done this please let me know.

Thank You.

Just to be clear. Back up camera prepped only means that there is 12 volts under the mount for the camera. You have to supply everything else.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Your camper is pre-wired, probably, for the Furrion system. Here's a link to the web site: click here, so you can see what you need.

However, do NOT be alarmed at the prices listed on that site. Everything shown there can be purchased somewhere else for much less. (Amazon or even your local RV dealership).

My Montana came with the "prep". I installed the 7 inch observation system (back-up rear camera only) initially. A year later, for Christmas, my son purchased the side cameras for me.

As far as the quality of the image on the screen ... well, it's NOT a television or a computer monitor. And sunlight can really make it hard to see. But I've never had a problem with it. It's never lost its signal, and I use for rear observation when driving, and almost never pay attention to it when backing into a campsite.

Mine is 4 years old now and still works good. The only thing I don't like is, if I flip on all views (rear and sides), the sides stay active for only about 20 seconds or so, and then they shut off. All 3 cameras do not stay active all the time. I wish they did, but they don't. In order to get all three active, the screen has to be tapped 3 times in a row. When you need to see the side view immediately, well ... in my opinion, they are not very helpful fast enough.

If I ever do it again, I'll keep the rear camera and skip the side ones. For the price of them, they are not worth it (as far as Furrion is concerned).
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:21 AM   #6
Wisconsin Retiree
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28036
I found this system and have utilized it for almost a full year. I have had zero issues, I added additional cameras for my truck & the rear camera acame with adapter plug & play for the furrion base on my 3121RL.

Ordered on Amazon
AMTIFO Vehicle Backup Camera Systems
$219
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220924-082026.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	13202