Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Geocaching
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
GPS units

We're gonna try it. Sounds like fun. Can anyone reccommend a good GPS to get. We have an ancient Garmen ETREX and an old Magellan Meridian but you can't manually enter new waypoints so I don't think either will work. We have a Street Pilot for the truck so I don't need something super sophisticated for navigation. From what I have seen from surfing, it looks like one that hooks up with a USB cable for downloading the waypoints is easiest. Any other info would be helpfull. Thanks. Barney.

rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have a Garmin 340C and am very pleased with its performance, but I have learned that if you are planning a giant trip it is always best to authentacate it's data. a lot of the WP will be inaccurate, with any of the GPS units due to there updates for there customers.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I read that the Geocaching site has GPS reviews by owners of GPS units. You might check it out. I have a DeLorme PN-20 that I really like--color display, 14 hour battery life on a pair of AA's, easy to operate controls. And it interfaces with DeLorme Topo 7.0 for maps. I also use DeLorme Street Atlas USA for my trip planning and navigation on the road. I decided to stick with one manufacturer--DeLorme--for all my mapping/trip planning/GSP software. So far--about 3 years--I have been pleased with the results. I do suspect that other manufacturers do a good job also but I have not used their software or GPS units. If you can find a friend who geocaches, you can usually get some good info on the likes and dislikes. Best of all--get into geocaching!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
Geocaching is a great way the visit place that are overlooked by others. Also you can find interesting info about the local area and history. And it's fun.
We use a Garmin 60 cs. it's about 4 or 5 years old. It has a GPS mode that is helpful. We also used an old model 12.
If you try it and like caching, I would suggest that you become a Premium Member. That way you can download waypoint for trips and use the Pocket Query Generator.
Feel free to email me with questions. I may be able to pass on some tips.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:11 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
rubble express,

We bought the Garmin GPSMap 60CSx Handheld GPS Navigator, and have been very pleased with the easy of use and the performance.

We are not experts, we have only found 70 caches, Geocaching is a lot of fun! Welcome to a wonderful new pastime.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We use the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx and download from the Geocaching.com website using the download program provided on the site. We really like it but I think they all have a learning curve to operate. Once you learn the features and systems they are great tools. We have just a little over 100 finds and a few "no finds", for whatever reason. Great sport and a great way to see different parts of an area that you probably wouldn't see otherwise. Cathy and I usually do a full day each time and take a picnic lunch and look for a city or state park with a cache to have lunch in. BTW there are some nice City Parks around the country........Good luck and happy hunting....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #7
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
Thanks for all the responses. First, I've been playing around on "geocache.com" and can't believe how many people get into this activity. I live in a town of 1900 folks and there are over 50 caches within 20 miles of me. Unbelievable!!! Without a unit, I can sorta figure one is at the Court House....somewhere??? After exhaustive(?) research on a bunch of different websites, we decided on the Garmin Colorado 300. Among other things, it has paperless notes and electronic compass which, from what I have read, are plusses for geocaching. It also has specific geocaching functions, whatever they are. I got it off Ebay for $299, no tax, free shipping. I got Garmin's map update 2009 in my stocking for Christmas and it's good for this unit, so that's a plus. We can't wait to get going on this new "hobby". We're going to watch (hopefully) two space shuttle launches in May, and we already looked up a bunch of sights (hopefully finds) in Tittusville. BTW, the Garmin StreetPilot 2720 that we got for @$500 3 years ago is now available on Ebay for $118. Amazing how fast technology improves and gets cheaper. Thanks again to all, and hope you (we) all have have many more years of happy hunting!! Barney.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm very happy with the same unit exav8tr mentioned. I like the compass with arrow to direct me on the next leg as well as the trail allowing me to follow the same route outbound if I want and many other features.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #9
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
rubble express,

The Colorado is a great unit. You can also look around the Geocaching web site and pick up some resources that you can use with your Colorado and your StreetPilot 2720. Check out Geocaching Home Page for the Geocaching Resources and go to Tools and Downloads, this includes some great utlities including "Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK)".

Which etrex do you have, I have used an etrex legend for several years as well as the Garmin 60csx. I enter the coordinates manually on the etrex by going to the main menu and using the mark feature, once I put in a waypoint I edit it to the coordinates I want. This is kind of a hard way to enter information but I have used this unit so long that I can do it quickly.

I use my Nuvi 350 to get me close to the coordinates. Some caches are in locations that do not have a direct way to get to them, the 350 gives me good directions to the area.

This may also be a help to you. It is a site that 8.1al had posted a while back http://pilotsnipes.googlepages.com/index.html

jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
May I suggest if you decide to go with a Garmin unit that you not purchase direct from Garmin. As great as their support is, their prices are outasight. We bought a new unit online for about 40% of what Garmin quoted on their site.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
rubble express,
Have you purchased that Colorado 300? If so how is it working? We had one and after Garmin replaced it twice they are upgrading us to the Oregon 300. I sure hope I have better luck with that.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote