Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Fridge Stops and Starts

We have used the Dometic fridge in our 09 Monty for 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks it worked fine. Then it shut down completely but after several hours it started back upon its own then after a few hours shuts down again. It continues to do this on both gas and AC. The service depot at Camping World could not find the problem. A tech in our park has spent some time on it but with no luck. Has anyone had a similiar problem and if so what was the cause? With Christmas comming I would sure like to get it going again.

berridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I assume you are talking about something other than the normal on/off cycle. Do you get the flashing light indicating there is a problem? I've not heard of this problem before.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
Ditto on what HAMROD says.
How do you know the fridge is shutting down?
Flashing lights, no lights, warm fridge?
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #4
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
The fridge shuts down completely-the panel lights go out and the unit stops operating. This happens on gas and on electric. The check light does not come on. It's as if one of the heat sensors is telling the unit to shut down and then after a period of time it allows the unit to restart but the sensors have been tested and appear to be operating properly. The fridge is in the slide and the cooling fan is comming on even at night when the air temp is cool. I don't recall this happening in our previous unit which had an identical location.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I would pull the small panel off below the fridge. There is usually a fat plug there and it may have come apart. We have a Big Sky with the 4 door unit and I put hinges on the panel under the fridge for extra storage. I had to relocate the two plugs down there and one was loose. I made sure that they were both tight and haven't had any problems. These are the main power source for the fridges. Start there and check... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:18 AM   #6
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
I have also seen 110AC outlets with poor connections. Also check the 12 VDC connections. They are connected in a white plastic BUS bar behind the fridge at the bottom. If the AC/DC connections are OK, it may be your control board has gone bad. BTW, check these connections when the fridge has shut down if possible.
Hope this helps.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Look in that electrical box under the slide as well, mounted to the frame. Might be a good idea to check it with the shore line unplugged.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #8
berridge
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6415
Thanks for all the suggestions re fridge. This AM I finally noticed that when I turned on the 12V fluorescent light I had installed over the counter,in place of the incadescent that was there,the fridge went off. When I turned the light off the fridge came back on. The 12V supply for the fridge is in the same line that powers all the lights over the counter including the range hood. I would have thought that the fridge would have its own line. The ID on the fuse panel says only Kit 2 and all fuses were OK. I have no idea why the light affects the fridge-perhaps the electronics in the light?