Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Storage Ben Security

Here is some information for all interrested. I was messin around with the locks and thumb turns on the storage compartments and noticed if you turn them hard enugh the whole lokc will turn and continue to turn untill you have unlocked the door, so I then locked the cabinet doors again properly without going to far this time then took a flat blade screw driver stuck it in the key hole and turned and guess what it opened, it turnrd the hole lock to an unlocked position. I took thr lock apart and saw a round hole then looked at the lock it was round with a flat on each side of the lock, I went to a locksmith and he told me that was normal but to stop this easy access without a key I would need to install what he called a " Dubble D Anchor Washer " I bought 12, and not costly either. put them in as he instructed, and Wala problem solved. What they are is a washer with 4 points that dig into the inside of the cabinet when the nut is tightened making it impossable to turn when the points dig into the wood. prity neat, and the washer has two flat sides on it, I guess if you put two letter D's back to back it looks like the hole that should be in those doors and that is where the washer comes to place. Thats All. I hate typeing with two fingers.

BY ALL

You can bet that I took care of that when I first purchased my unit, also all the doors have a master key that opens all the top key cylinders on the door lock the bottom part of the latch/dead bolt is not on the master the top cylinder opperates the pull lever which opperates the latch only. so keep the dead bolt locked when in storage you never who might have a key. I did and the rv store that sold me my last Terry gave me the master with my unit so I could lock it, they lost the original, so that means that the master can get out there.

Don and Georgia
New 2980 Owners