Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #1
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
emergency assistance plans

I can't remember if this has been discussed before but has any one had any experience with the medical assistance plans where they bring you home if you get sick? We are looking at MASA or Good Sam EA+. We have a friend who had a stroke on the way back home after the Rally in GA and they belong to FMCA who has a plan (I think the same as Good Sam one) --it has been 10 days in trying to get the motor home back home--it is finally being driven back for them but there have been many "hoops" to go through.

jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are looking at the one offered through Escapees (sky med) I think they are a must at our age.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
MASA and Sky-Med are both good. But read the fine print closely between the two. We have Sky-Med for that reason. Am not prepared to go into the details, it's something that each one of us has to decide for ourselves. You'll find that those who have MASA swear by it and those who have Sky-Med swear by it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have one through the Marine Corps Association. Don't know how beneficial it is as I have not had to use it, yet.

As far as getting a MH, or RV home, why can't we leap frog using members a hundred miles or so at a time?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
My sister and bil swear by MASA. Sounds like a good plan. I've even gone to one of their meetings. They are big in 1000 Trails and hold a dinner meeting before they present their plan. Seem like very low key sales pitch. They just present the info ad the rest is up to you. We will consider this in the future, even though we have no home base. Keep in mind, we are not familiar with the others.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:26 PM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Back about two years ago, I received an offer from the Good Sam Club. The company would not tell me much about the plan unless I signed up. They said that if I did not want it, I would get a full refund. After the information arrived, I read it and decided that it was not for me. Most of what they would offer would still cost me money. They would make arrangements. I called and canceled but they would not give me a full refund. There was about a $10 balance they kept. I disputed the charge when the credit card bill came and the credit card company removed the charge. Nice racket!!
Old 04-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thanks for that heads up..We are looking at plans and the Good Sam plan was one of them. We will take special note. The GS plan is far less expensive than the other two and we were looking for the reason why..
Does anyone have a web site for MASA
Old 04-06-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Rich: Try medairservices.com
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Rich: Try medairservices.com

thanks bigmurf...
We are comparing Sky med Family plan 548.00 per year
MASA Family plan 360.00 per year

There has got to be a big diference but they read much alike... Any comments???
Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #10
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we are leaning towards the MASA because it covers us worldwide and there is a good chance we will be going to Europe to visit some relatives. I called Good Sam and I got two different answers to a couple of my questions (I called two different times). I am hoping someone can tell us of theirs or someone else's experiences. Our friends motor home finally got to Omaha today-12 days after his stroke. He still isn't back so it will be interesting to see how that goes when they are ready to fly hinm home.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:39 PM   #11
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
The Sales Reps for MASA are Employed by them and Salaried. SkyMed are Independent Contractors on Commission. Skymed does pay their expenses for show set-up and basic costs, but the Income is from SALES!
Your Lifetime membership in MASA is free after 10yrs compared to having to renew SM every 1 to 5 Years. Also it's all there no Tiered
coverage with added costs at each tier.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 12:43 AM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We signed on with SkyMed when they did a sales presentation at the first MOC Fall Rally in 2004. They did a fantastic sales job and had us convinced that Sky Med was the only way to go.
During our first, and only, year of membership we, actually Lorraine, did some research into a few other available plans. The research invoved looking into what each had to offer, what other plan members had to say and the yearly cost factor. We only found one Sky Med member that claimed they used it and were some what satisfied. They were the only couple with any plan, with any carrier to come forth with any actual personal experience. Yes, there were a ton of "he said that a neighbor said that a co-workers boyfriend said that....".
In the end we decided that Good Sam had the best plan at a very reasonable cost. We signed up with Good Sam in late 2005 and have been a member ever since.
How does Good Sam now stack up with the other plans??? We have no way of knowing and really do not care to find out. Just like Life Insurance, using such a plan is the ONLY way to see which one is the best plan and for all intent and purpose we don't really want have to find out. Like most anything else in life we can only hope we made the right decision.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are still researching between Skymed and MASA. There is s significant difference in price between the two and the " you get what you pay for" question needs to be answered. We will not buy something because it is cheaper then feel we have coverage. We need to have something before we head to Florida this winter.. We have BC/BS which covers a great deal. Our primary concern is transportation home for the individual if needed and the rig.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
My personal experience: Skymed member for one year. Attended a MASA presentation.
As I stated before if your at the age that you would use it for 10 years or longer MASA is cheaper. Also Masa will transport you from your HOME to the Hospital, Ambulance or Air, you don't need to be 100 miles from home.
Skymed becomes MOOT if your not Traveling any longer. MASA is FOR LIFE!!
Skymed has raised their 5yr. plan prices $400 for Basic Coverage in the past 2 years.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:14 PM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We have the MASA gold card. This covers us worldwide and at home, no need to be 100 miles away and no qualifiers. If you have an emergency call 911, fire, police, etc. If they determine a helicopter is needed MASA pays, no questions asked. If the doctors think you need to go to a different facility for treatment MASA will transport you in a medical jet. If you want to go home to recuperate MASA pays. We personally have friends that have and have had to use MASA and they deliver. We originally had Good Sam and felt it wasn't bad for the money but are more comfortable with the better coverage.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After much homework and good advise from folks here we decided to go with MASA. We are always 100 miles from home when we go anywhere and MASA can be used while at home.