Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Tyler State Park

We will be at the Tyler State Park this weekend. If your in the neighborhood stop by. We are in the Mountaineer 328RLS.

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Thanks to those that recomended Tyler State Park to us. It is a very nice campground. Almost every site is a pull thru. My three slides were not a problem at all. Plenty of room. We were on the back row but still no more than a couple of minute walk to the lake. I was told by October there will be 50 AMP service as well as sewer. Lots of trees. Hiking and bicycle trails. They are pooch friendly. One of the rangers was scratching Lexie behind the ears ( she just hates it when someone will do that...lol)and he asked what kind of dog it was, I reluctantly said a Pit Bull. He just said " When they are raised right they are great dogs" I had to agree.
It is about 10 miles north of Tyler on Hwy 14. There is a Chevron station directly across from the entrance that has a Sweet shop that sells Italian Ice...ooohhh so good. The Chevron station caters to the campers with a quick grill, basic groceries and firewood and of coarse gas.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Hi Trucdoc,
So glad that you enjoyed Tyler State Park...David and I love it too and go there quite a bit ..as I have said in earlier messages. Happy to hear that they are adding sewer..that will be great. We like to take
hikes around the area , especially in the fall.
Maybe David and I can meet you two sometime when you are there for a day or two. There are some good eating places in Tyler that we like to go to also.
By the way, how did the acron squash recipe turn out...let us hear.
Countrygirl or Shirley
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:28 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
For you folks in east Texas, have you ever visited Jefferson, Texas? It's a neat little antique type town. Deserves another visit from us some day.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Glad to know of your interest in Jefferson. Indeed, we often visit there. We live less than half an hour away, just on the other side of Lake 'o the Pines. My great grandfather, Michael Jackson Ragsdale arrived in Jefferson with his family, via river boat, in 1869, having traveled by ship from Savannah to New Orleans, then up the Mississippi, the Red, and Cypress Bayou on river boat to Jefferson. My grandmother, his daughter, was born a few years later (1874) and lived to be 103 years old.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Judy, we know Jefferson well, because we live only about 20 miles from there. We go there many times during the year for outings and also birthday parties and other special occasions. When we entertain our friends, we always like to take them to Jefferson. It is quaint and has a lot to offer people from other areas.
As you probably already know, Jefferson is a historical town and is really much like the old South. There are beautiful old homes there and many of them are bed and breakfast homes. There are some nice places to eat there and also many places to shop.
Lake O'The Pines is near there and is accessible to Jefferson. There are beautiful camgrounds around the lake. So, if you are planning to go there , that would be a nice place to stay.
If you come to our area, which is near...please give us a call, because we would like to show you around the area.

Shirley or Countrygirl
Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Shirley and David, I'm sorry we didn't have this conversation earlier. We were at Alley Creek on a long Memorial Day weekend campground with our two granddaughters. We took them to the Hamburger Shoppe where you post your message on a one dollar bill. Grace and Emily were fascinated by that tradition, their daddy was less fascinated....he had to provide the money! We thought the campground was great. We probably came right by your place since we drove up the west side of the lake through Longview.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:09 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Our favorite place to eat in Tyler is Mercado's. Love those fresh tortillias.
We will have to check out Jefferson. Can you give a bit more info, like where the campground is and must see places.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
trukdoc, we didn't get to spend as much time in Jefferson as we wanted to but it is a beautiful place to just drive around. Some unique buildings, etc. The campgrounds are mostly from the Corp of Engineers and information is on ReserveUSA.com. We've found CORP campgrounds to be very nice places to stay. I'm sure others who live in the area will give you more information.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote