Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > PREVIOUS ANNUAL MOC NORTH AMERICAN RALLIES > 2013 Annual MOC North American Fall Rally
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Traveling Thru Ohio to the Rally? 9/6 Update

Here is a heads up, and at this point there is NO further information available. This was brought to my attention by member Lynne Carothers via a Facebook group she follows (and so do I NOW).

I have copied this verbatim, blast the copyright, too important.

I am in contact with this group and they are putting some information on their web pages at my mention of all of us traveling through Ohio SOON.

Their web page is here, and at this moment there is NOTHING there, they are working on it as fast as they can. Hopefully it will give you an outside URL/site to check.

I will continue to monitor this and will post further info as I am made aware of it.

In the meantime, safe travels, see ya at the Rally.

URGENT UPDATE, DEADLY VIRUS IN OHIO
Please share this notice!

Dr Forshey, the Ohio state veterinarian, confirmed that they are working on identifying the cause of death in several dogs. They suspect that it is a virus, possible Circo virus. This virus has not been found in dogs before. (It is commonly found commonly in pigs.)

They have sent tissue samples to UC Davis, which is the only lab that can identify the virus. Ohio State has already ruled out common causes like salmonella, parvovirus, campylobacter, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE).

He thinks they will have it figured out by Monday and will have a national news release. Ohio is the only state seeing it so far.

The important thing is that dog owners need to get their dog to the vet ASAP at the first sign of vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Dr Forshey indicated that most of the dogs are surviving if treated early. There is, of course, no vaccine available.

Please share this information to your own Facebook feed so we can reach as many dog owners as possible.

They told me in comments: "The only good news is that it seems whatever the means of transmission, it isn't airborne. Dogs have stayed healthy in some households where others have died."

Posted JUST NOW:

Okay, folks ****IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING THE OHIO VIRUS**** I spoke to Dr. Forshey, the state veterinarian for Ohio, this morning (Friday, September 6), at length. He said that it is TOO soon to state definitively that the problem is a circovirus. The tissue tested did test positively for circovirus, and it is likely that it is circovirus, but they do not know if that is what's making the dogs so sick. They are still awaiting test results on several other dogs. THEY DO KNOW THAT THE MEANS OF CONTAGION IS THROUGH FECES. They do not yet have a handle on the period of incubation. Dogs cannot "catch" this virus from pigs, He said the best thing that dog-owners can do is to behave as people do in a flu epidemic. Dog parks, especially, should be avoided. As for dog shows, he says that it is up to individuals to determine their own comfort level regarding risk. Clearly, do not allow your dogs to be near the poop of other dogs. It will be incumbent on dog day care providers and boarding kennels to keep their premises very clean. Probably this virus is NOT confined to Ohio. We may just be the first state to recognize that this is it's own problem. He said they expect to have more information, but it may be a couple of weeks, these tests take time. Please remember, if your dog has any of these symptoms--vomiting, bloody diarrhea, foaming at the mouth; get them to a vet immediately. Do not try to ride this out, don't try to treat it at home.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmm. we live in Ohio and have heard nothing about this .We will keep our ears open.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Hot off the presses Rich.

They could not provide a URL for press releases or anything a few hours ago.

Note that they say probably no more news till Monday.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Here is a link to a Ohio Vet

http://www.villageanimalclinicllc.com/
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Carol's got the HICCUPS!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I did not post twice, Rhondo.

I see you did too. ROTFLOL
Old 09-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I think it was the forum Carol! Your second post is gone as well as mine IF I did indeed post twice! See you in 19 days~ Oh, by the way it's Rondo not Rhondo!! Thank you very much!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The Queen of Typos strikes again, course, in the middle of the night, ehhh, take whats ya get! LOL

You know what they say, you can call me anything, just don't forget to call me to dinner.

Which brings to mind, have you all reviewed all the meals and signed up to bring your dish?? HMMM??

I deleted my second post. YOU?? Rhondo, Rondo?? Whoever you may be. You are called to dinner - -

Snicker.