Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Tip Over Toilet(update)

Today I was taking care of some business and almost fell out of the bathroom. It appears that the outboard lag bolt on the toilet base has stripped out. But after I tried to tighten the bolt back down it popped right back up so I suppose that I will have to remove it and just put a bolt and washer in its place. My problem at the moment is that the base appears to be lifting at least a half inch which leads me to believe that the flange may have broken. If I have to pull the base completely out then I am wondering if it has a rubber gasket ring or a wax ring like a standard toilet. Has anyone pulled out the whole toilet and if so which will I have to find???..... Dave

UPDATE BELOW

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Dave,
I can't help it but with a username like yours, all your really close friends in the MOC should be along shortly to offer a solution or as I am about to do, laugh along with you in this very stinky situation you have gotten yourself into.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

The entire base plate should un-thread from the pipe if you have to replace it. I think they come with a rubber sponge type of gasket; at least that’s what I remember putting on ours. It may even have a flange on it if my memory serves me correctly.
Not that big of a job!
Old 03-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

Dave,
I can't help it but with a username like yours, all your really close friends in the MOC should be along shortly to offer a solution or as I am about to do, laugh along with you in this very stinky situation you have gotten yourself into.
Mike

By all means, dive in and have a look at it!
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I had the same broken flange as mentioned it is threaded easy fix!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
is the screw on flange available at Home Depot or Lowes? Or is this a CW item?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

is the screw on flange available at Home Depot or Lowes? Or is this a CW item?

You should be able to get it at most any RV parts place. That’s where I would look. I believe most of the toilet flanges for RV’s thread into the pipe or directly into the top of the tank depending on the individual unit design.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #8
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Dave,

I had the same thing happen on my previous Montana. The flange had 4 holes and I was only using two, so I turned it 1/4 turn and used the other two. It has a rubber seal. If you need a new flange you will need to get it from an RV parts dealer because I believe Lowe's and etc only carry glue on.
Hope this helps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
UPDATE: Thanks to Wayne (awaywego) for the heads up on the flange having two sets of flange bolt holes. I got it all torn down and discovered where my black tank leak is. As I tried to rotate the flange I discovered that big poop pipe was no longer attacked to the tank. I believe the plastic weld failed after the replacement black tank was installed at CW here in Savannah 3 years ago. I got the flange rotated and with help from a neighbor we wiggled the pipe back into the tank and he held it while I screwed the flange back to the floor. I called CW about a replacement flange and as usual they didn't have one in stock. But Dick Gore RV in Richmond Hill did have two, one on front counter for someone else that called this morning and one more that is waiting for me. I will go get it tomorrow just in case. Because as my snow shovel says "ya never know".
When I was reinstalling the bowl I rotated it 20 degrees so it was easier to sit on. If CW will repair their work for free(fat chance) then I will have a new flange installed. If not then I will have to wait till (IF) the house sells ..
Old 03-23-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glad you got it fixed. Did you take pictures?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #11
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Pictures of just the toilet, not you on the toilet, please. I'd never be able to get that image out of my mind.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Sorry guys, this was not a teaching evolution, this was a "get that damn thing fixed" sort of job. Didn't feel like bringing down the wrath of Wife down on my head fooling around with a camera. I did have a leaking problem where the toilet and base mate. Loosened and repositioned 4 times before I got the leak stopped. Overall it was a pretty easy job. Just remember to shut down shore water. Because if you hit the pedal while the flushing unit is off the toilet the compartment becomes another shower albeit a cold one. And that also upsets the wife. Anyway it is fixed and I see no leaks so far. Time for a cold one... P.S. the base gasket is a 3/4 inch thick sponge like gasket. Under the bowl are two more gaskets, the ball valve gasket and a top gasket that holds the ball gasket down and seals the top and bottom units together. that is where my leak was. I believe it was just a case of positioning.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #13
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I can just see Dave "Nosediving" out the door during the TippyToilet incident! Kinda like tippin over a porta john that is occupied. Did you don the wetsuit when you slithered down the black big poop pipe? Maybe you (Dave) have finally found a use for your ole hard head diving skills; do you hire out for blackpoopypipe repairs?
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Dave,
Just remember in that situation that the work is not complete without the paper work being done.

I do remember installing a "high rise" bowl in my 3400 RL. I did not like the fact that they use wood screws to hold the flange down, so I drilled holes all the way through into the basement and used bolts with 1" washers to secure it. If that held my heavy butt, it should hold your skinny.....!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, Without sharing TMI, just what in the world are you doing in that tiny throne room????? LOL
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote