Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Medic
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Good Sam Medical Emergency Assistance

Has anyone had any experience with Good Sam Medical Emergency Assistance? We keep getting stuff in the mail to join and I know nothing about this service and cannot seem to find anyone who has had experience. I know some of the medical plans offer some of these services however we just joined the ranks of the uninsured due to corporate greed (long and continuing story at the moment,ceo tanked to company). So I am exploring all options since we still want to travel again.
Any input would be helpful.
Thank you

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Read carefully! This plan, as I remember is to get you TO health care and home, as well as your rig.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The worst thing about being a member of GS is the junk mail and junk email they send.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We do have that insurance. Did you get my PM?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Hazmic, Others of us are interested in the details also. Please post reply...Thank You!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
I believe that this is the same GS insurance flyer that I received about two years ago. The company would not reveal all the details until I activated it. To activate, they needed my credit card number and promised a full refund if I felt it was not for me. It was not for me and I cancelled. I received a credit but they kept about $10. I disputed the charge on the CC and the CC company removed the charge. I thought that this was a good racket - keep $10 for about 1000 cancellations - $10,000. Not bad!!
Old 01-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We have that insurance because of a accident that I had just before we were to come home last spring. I broke my leg in three places and the when we left,the Montana is still in TX. If at that time we had the insurance the camper would have been at home because they would have brought it home. Our son did come down and bring Mary and I home with the truck. The camper is in a secure place at where we stay in TX so that is not the issue. Also with that insurance they work with your home doctor and the attending one where you are at. We have it just for making Mary feel more at ease with how to handle things to get home. They also take care of getting the Fur Kid home if necessary. I now have a list of my Doctors here in Ia so if something happens I tell the Doctor that they will work with the Doctor here and with the insurance. From what I understand they make sure that everything is on the up and up of you know what I mean. Any more question ,let me know and I will answer if possible. I guess we have just as a security blanket for Mary.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thanks Mickey, I did get your message, just did not have a chance to respond. I will give you a call soon.
Your last post was pretty much what I got out of their fliers. Two years ago John was hospitalized 3 times while we were traveling.(Kanab, UT,9 bed hospital without MD and talk of air flight to St. George,then later at St. George, UT and Missoula, MT where he received the best health care I have ever seen, as a RN I was impressed! Needless to say I was thankful he recovered without complications and I had learned to pull the rig before we left and knew how to set it up and break down without help before any of this occurred, which was extremely helpful. But I knew there were many other things that can happen and I want to be prepared. I did not plan on loosing our health care benefits but knew it could happen to anyone. But with both of us having catastrophic illness we knew that to loose this benefit would be a nightmare and it has been. John reaches 65 in September and I am 6 years out. We are looking at over 2,000 a month in premiums. Ouch!! With our previous insurance they did not cover the things that Good Sam advertised for that reason it has attracted my attention. With what Good Sam advertises this sounds to be a good benefit at a time when coordinating care in two places is and can be difficult even under the best of circumstances however is it cost effective to pay into this plan when maybe some careful planning on our part will not eliminate all of the unexpected possiblities but at the very least provide a plan of action. So, my question is has anyone had experience with Good Sam in this cituation.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
As an ex-insurance salesman, let me suggest you carefully read the exclusions as well as the benefits. If you are satisfied, then fine. If you want this type of coverage, may I suggest you look at two other programs to contrast and compare.

SkyMed, which is recommended by the Escapees organization and MASA (Medical Air Service Association). After you look at all three programs, you can make an informed choice about benefits, exclusions, and cost.

We have opted to use the MASA program. On occasion, we travel to Europe and Asia. MASA will take care of emergency issues abroad as well as nationally. Shop before you buy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 AM   #10
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Thanks Stiles for your post and I agree with you exactly. When we was Scuba Diving we had the same thing as MASA. It was called DAN [Divers Alert Network]. It covered us out of the USA. Never needed it but we were covered. We have NOT used the GS insurance and hope that we never need to use it. It just is there in case we need it.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We went to SkyMed. I had called them to ask about overseas coverage they said all you had to do was call them if you were leaving for Europe, etc and you were covered. We looked at MASA too. One of the things we liked about SkyMed and MASA was that you do not have to be 100 miles from home for them to pay. you can be in your own living room
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have to put a plug in for MASA, although I have not signed with them yet as we don't have a home (stick anyway) to be sent to. Last year, some of you may recall, that my 72 year old sister fell out of my front door and landed on her back, breaking 5 ribs, while they were visiting us in Arizona. Of course we went to the local med facility and before we had complete x-rays and a CT scan, my BIL had contacted MASA and they were ready to med evac them both back to California and arrange for transportation of their vehicle and belongings. My BIL decided to drive back instead as they gave her good drugs and they had just bought a new car.

Cathy and I will rethink our decision not to join them when we attend another free dinner brieifing that they put on. They are rather expensive, but I think it is something well worth the cost for folks our age. I'm just not sure where they would send us if we were hurt or fell ill. Have one son in Mesa, AZ and the other in San Diego. My folks are both gone and Cathy's live in Sacramento, CA.

I haven't looked into SKYMED yet, but will before we decide. Not sure I would go with Good Sam as this seems to be outside their expertise, or maybe not, I don't know.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:42 AM   #13
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Thank you for your input. I am going to investigate both MASA and Skymed, they sound very good addition.

Dorothy
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I posted, I looked up what Coach-Net had to offer in this area. The Coach-Net Platinum has the MASA/SkyMed type program. If you are a member of Escapees or another of the cooperating clubs, there is a significant discount.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote