Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
30 amp fuses

Well, I didn't have to use Betsy's ear rings just yet, but I did blow three of them for the first time yesterday after pulling into this KOA in Rock Island. Never blew a fuse before. Checked the motor mounts and everything was tight. All wire connections are tight and clean. What up wid dat? And no the rear feet were not touching the ground... Dave
P.S. I did have winds in excess of 50 mph hitting square against the rear of the rig, had chocks in tight but may have caused a bit of a bind...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Well, I didn't have to use Betsy's ear rings just yet, but I did blow three of them for the first time yesterday after pulling into this KOA in Rock Island. Never blew a fuse before. Checked the motor mounts and everything was tight. All wire connections are tight and clean. What up wid dat? And no the rear feet were not touching the ground... Dave
P.S. I did have winds in excess of 50 mph hitting square against the rear of the rig, had chocks in tight but may have caused a bit of a bind...
For those in the dark about Betsy's ear rings. Dave took green 30 amp fuses, drilled a small hole at the top and use ear ring loops making them into ear rings. Many at the Goshen Fall Rally got a pair.
No I do not have a picture. But Dave does.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

A few drops of gear oil on the landing gear screws sure helped my motor from struggling. When I took the landing gear apart to inspect it, the screws were very dry and needed lubrication. That was also the recommendation I got from Venture Mfg., who makes the legs. Worth a shot.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Robbie, how do I lube the screws? I have siliconed the square tubes and they are much easier to lift up. But I haven't even thought of lubing the jacking screws. Will I have to take them apart?... Dave
Old 10-28-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

If you look at the top of the landing gear, you will see a thin metal plate that covers the top. That plate easily pries off with a screwdriver, and just snaps back on later. Pour just a shot glass full on the two gears you see there. The oil will make its way down by itself.

I have a bent leg that I rotated 90* from its original factory location. With the gear oil, I can't tell that there is any problem with the leg, now.

I paid about $6 for a quart of heavy gear oil...think I now own a lifetime supply!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Robbie, bring that quart to the next rally and offer to do others for $1.00, bet you have that paid for quickly
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bob,

Think I'll just eat the expense for the opportunity to help others.

Anyone who wants some, bring your shot glass. :-)

Quartzsite is only 81 days away.....
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Robbie, did you use something like a 90 weight oil?
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 49merc

Robbie, did you use something like a 90 weight oil?
Bob
Bob,

Yep, exactly. It runs down the screw real slow. I can't tell you how much difference it has made in the operation of the motor.

Will keep a few drops for ya at Q!
Old 10-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Dave,
Here is a slide show link on my landing leg repair. You can pull the propane tanks and gain access to the top plate on the landing leg.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dave, do you have Betsy's 30 ampers on in your photo here? or is that something in the background? I didn't notice if you were wearing ear accessories at the rally?? Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:22 PM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
NO!