Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Garmin Streetpilot 340

Another mod for the TV has been added. Just got back from Circuit City with the late Christmas present, a Streetpilot 340 that was on sale for $250. Don't know a thing about it, so hopefully it is simple to use. Won't have a use for it until after winter anyway. Anybody got this unit and willing to let me know pros and cons. Thanks,
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I don't know about yours but I got one for christmas also. I need to figure it out.
Mark
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Before I got the Garmin, I said, "What do I need that for?" Now I wouldn't leave home without it. Someone was trying to tell me how to get to a place in a Houston suburb. I said, "Just give me the address." Plugged it into the Garmin and no problem getting there. In most cases all you have to do is put the address of your next CG and GPS gets you there. Learning how to use it just requires practice.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
You'll love it Bingo! My wife gets mad at me when I get in her car and stick my Garmin suction cup on the screen of her Ford navigation system .
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:35 AM   #5
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Santa left one at my house this year. It is a Street Pilot C550. Have used it a couple of times and love it. Downside is it is point A to point B. Unable to plug in intermediate stops such as rest areas and fuel stops enroute. What is so funny is the ladys voice seems to get an attitude when she has to "recalcuate route" when I don't always follow the prescribed route.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use SOB. I can add waypoints, but it is not very user friendly (for me.) I do use Microsoft Streets and Trips, and the 2008 version has live search if you are connected to the internet via any means. In live search I just put in "RV Park," or "Campground," without the quotes and they all pop up with a listing and position on the map. Then all I have to do is program the SOB GPS from point A to point B.

A little off topic, but I thought it was worth the mention.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:54 AM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
indy roadrunner, actually you can add 1 extra stop to your route according to page 5 of the instructions. Also when you want a rest stop or other points when you find it on your menu just hit the go button and it will ask if you want to continue via this stop and you can say yes or no. I have the 340 and it has saved my b*** many times. I love it! It has probably saved our marriage many times. LOL
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Thanks Bob, I am still in the learning phase so there are a lot of things I am going to have to learn. I have yet to hook it up to my laptop. I guess you can download some more POI's - or so I have been reading on the I-net.
I have MS Streets and Trips. I can still plan my trips on that to utilize all the waypoints from Indiana to Florida.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I got the Garmin 330c at Walmart for 129.00 0n Black Friday. I know it very limited but I love it. Takes me right to where I want to go and very user friendly I believe whay it doesn't do that the 340 may do is anounce the street names.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tried it for the first time this morning going to church in DW's Suburban. Conflict arose when the unit was put on the windshield. DW stated, that it looks tacky and people won't know the Surburban has one built in. I shrugged that off while accusing her of being conceited and proceeded to set our destination. I was pleasantly surprised when the unit knew our church and church address and took us right to the parking lot. Karen the Australian was kind of pleasant on the way. I think I will be happy with the unit overall as it will only be used on a part-time basis. Will be researching more about it on Garmin's web site today. BTW, DW didn't get mad about the conceited statement, actually laughed at me and told me I was right.....now that doesn't happen very often.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #11
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Bingo:
I have had a 340 for quite a while. What I like about it is the digital speedometer which comes up in the lower left hand corner when you punch the map key. I use this to set my cruise on the highway when towing and any other time you want to use it. Another thing you can do is go to spell and put in the word "CAMPGROUND". It will look them up for you wherever your unit is and give you the direction for your point and distance. If you see one that you think you might like, just punch on it. It will take you there...and yes you can hook it up to your computer and get updates. I have updated mine a few times, but I can't see any difference in maping or anything. I know of a resturant in my home town that has been there for 10 years and it is not in there. I also know of a by-pass around a town that is 4 lane and been there for 3 years and when you are on the by-pass, you are driving through a field because there is no road there. All in all, It is a good unit and was affordable at purchase time. Don't forget to register it with Garmin on their website. I also have a Garmin dash mount pad that holds the unit. I stuck a piece of velcro on the dash and on that. It has the quick detach lever to take it off and hid if you want to when locking up vehicle... Hope you enjoy it, I know I like mine....JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine's a Garmin 2720 but the general concept is the same.

Ours goes everywhere with us. I discovered a new use for it this past Fall when we were staying in Independence, MO. I made a weekly visit to visit my Mother in a nursing home, 135 miles from Independence. I had to go clear across Kansas City from east to west going out there and the reverse coming back. I frequently hit rush hour on the way back into KC. Now, I know my way around parts of KC but in most of it once I get off the freeways I'm in trouble.

But, I found if when I left the nursing home I told the Garmin to take me home, then when I got into KC and the traffic started coming to a stop, I'd just take the first exit and the Garmin would recalculate and find me a route home without getting back on the freeway. Traffic was much lighter that way. Sweet!

Besides, mine is set to show me my actual speed, elevation, distance to next turn, distance to destination (home), time to each of those, and some other things.

It's also great when we're in an unfamiliar city. I can find the restaurant I want in the POI list or I can enter the address. I don't worry about watching for the right street name, etc. I just follow what Mary Jack tells me to do. And if I don't like the route she wants me to go, I can either change it or just ignore a turn and she'll recalculate a new route for me.

Today we needed to go into Tucson to a Best Buy and a Lenscrafters. Mary Jack to the rescue. She knew where they are and guided us there, sweat free.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 06:07 AM   #13
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I bought my c340 on Black Friday for $199.95. It was on sale. The reason was, it is being terminated from production. I checked on most of the brands and the price and felt that this unit had the most for the money. I am not hi-tech and blackberry or blue tooth is not my cup of tea. The c340 is simple to use. Turn it on and follow the directions in the Quick reference guide booklet and go. For further info, go to MyGarmin.com and look up the directions and download them. One of the fine pieces of tech. Enjoy and Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 10:54 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by indy roadrunner

Santa left one at my house this year. It is a Street Pilot C550. Have used it a couple of times and love it. Downside is it is point A to point B. Unable to plug in intermediate stops such as rest areas and fuel stops enroute. What is so funny is the ladys voice seems to get an attitude when she has to "recalcuate route" when I don't always follow the prescribed route.
Yep, we noticed that attitude, too! I tried the other voices included on the Garmin and didn't really like any of them. You Canadians might like the British voices, though. Anyhow, I downloaded more voices and ended up with Jack. I think he's Australian. Maybe British. I don't remember. Anyhow, we always called the Garmin "Mary." But now with a man's voice we figure either she has a very bad cold or she's uncertain about her gender. I just couldn't bring myself to pat her on the head and say "nice job, Jack," when the voice was changed to male. So, Mary Jack it is.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 AM   #15
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
If you haven't found it yet, there are Tabs at the top of the screen in the "Find" "Lodging" that show different types, including RV Parks and CGs. Click on that one to find CGs near you?!!! If you get into traffic, you can also hit "Route" and "Detour" to find ways around the jam!! Pretty cool on my 2620.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote