Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2022, 04:11 PM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
HamMer TimE

so we got the idea to go to New York and Boston and Connecticut to see the Mayflower and the USS Constitution and a couple of other sites. Bad Idea, the traffic ( miles long back ups to get into and out of these cities )and rudeness of people and drivers were just more than I could take , the roads were just ridiculous too, just full of pot holes uneven joints on the repaired areas that I couldn`t believe and to think these clowns would go home at night and think they did a good that day. We all know what organizations we are talking about. The roads were so bad it beat the crap out of my camper (3791 RD) Not only did I break a spring I lost the camber in the rear axle from the relentless pounding from the dips and holes. Because of the spring and lost camber I wore out a 2 Sailuns in 400 miles I mean down to the cords on the inside edges.(nope not over loaded and they were 80% to out of date any way) From 2018 when I got the unit Nare an issue until now with these roads. The guy parked next to us was from Boston and he said he has to commute into the city every day he says you have to drive like it`s War and he is stressed to the max when he gets to work. When people pass you on the right sholuder because they can`t on the left lane you need to get out of there. I`ll never go back up there for any reason. New Jersey and Boston area Interstates were the worst for backed up traffic.
So I put new springs on all axles, had the 1 one axle re-bent to the right camber the other axle was ok and had to buy 4 new Sailuns. Got them from Walmart (best price fastest delivery) Went ahead and got the 85`s over the 80`s to see if it makes a difference. The only problem with them is all 4 took an inordinate amount of weight to get them balanced see pic. Not sure what this means. I question this and they said Sailun doesn't guarantee the trailer tires will balance.
Very expensive trip to say the least
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0420.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	12668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0421.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	12669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0422.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	12670  

F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 04:28 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
We're in Nova Scotia Canada. I broke a spring and had a blow out. Roads are rough. Interstate is good. Bridge seams are bad.

Where did you go for the axle work?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
We're in Nova Scotia Canada. I broke a spring and had a blow out. Roads are rough. Interstate is good. Bridge seams are bad.

Where did you go for the axle work?
We have a truck and trailer spring and alignment shop in town that dose some serious work on large trucks. $ 300 dollars and 2 hours then out the door. He did say if the axle is bent front to rear any where near the wheel spindle only a new axle will fix it. 375.00 for a new Dexter 7000 lb one, part only no labor. But I lucked out and just the center up and down camber adjustment was necessary. I watched them they put it on a giant wheel alignment platform, used chains and a hydraulic ram to bend the axle, kept playing with it till they were satisfied. At least now the axle isn`t bent down with a load on it. Only a few thousand miles will tell if they did a good job.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
....The only problem with them is all 4 took an inordinate amount of weight to get them balanced see pic. Not sure what this means. I question this and they said Sailun doesn't guarantee the trailer tires will balance.....
Did the shop use a Lug Centric adapter or a standard Hub Centric one? Those aluminum wheels need to have a Lug Centric balance as the hubs are not machined in the true center. The challenge is finding a tire shop that still does Lug Centric.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:32 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Did the shop use a Lug Centric adapter or a standard Hub Centric one? Those aluminum wheels need to have a Lug Centric balance as the hubs are not machined in the true center. The challenge is finding a tire shop that still does Lug Centric.
Nope hub centric machine but I did spend a hour with my micrometers and measured each hole to the center hole and center hole to the edge of the rim was satisfied that it was centered and with the tapered lug nuts to pull it center I was going with it. I didn`t have the originals balanced just thought I would try on these new ones. I think with the new technology in manufacturing that issue might be a thing of the past. Could be wrong time will tell.

Just a side note I did try and find someone that would lug centric balance the wheels when bought the camper in 2018 and was met with "what`s that your talking about" or "we don`t do that because the equipment and labor would be to much" and gave up.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:32 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I have measured our wheels and the center hole is true center to the lug holes, so hub balancing has worked for us. With the G614's and now with the S637's, they have never had to use that much weight to get the tires balanced. I wonder if your wheels were damaged on those wonderful New England roads?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:38 PM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Carl you know too much..
Old 08-03-2022, 09:05 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I have measured our wheels and the center hole is true center to the lug holes, so hub balancing has worked for us. With the G614's and now with the S637's, they have never had to use that much weight to get the tires balanced. I wonder if your wheels were damaged on those wonderful New England roads?
This I didn`t consider. But I guess if the weights straighten out the wheels if they are beat to death I have to go with it. Really, I have never seen so many blown truck tires ( road lizards ) laying on the side of the road in the bad areas this told me I was being pounded hard to. I guess I could try balancing beads if this is the case. I wonder if they have been used by any one here. Or the centamactics for big bucks. If this keeps up it will be less stress and maybe cheaper just to buy a new camper.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:39 AM   #9
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
you should break one down and rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim and see if that helps. most rims have a heavy side and so do tires, sometimes it helps and sometimes it makes it worse. just a side note that is not really a huge amount of weight for that ply tire

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:06 AM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
If this keeps up it will be less stress and maybe cheaper just to buy a new camper.
I can't believe you would make such a statement as close as you follow this forum! LOL
Hopefully all your troubles are in the rearview mirror.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:24 AM   #11
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I have the balancing beads in mine. Since I never ride in the trailer can't really say if they work or not. I had the same experience trying to find the right balancer. I found one shop that actually knew what I was talking about, but they only had adapters for big trucks.

I also have the Centramatics on the F-450. I pulled all the ugly outside weights off the wheels when I installed the Centramatics (left the weights on the inside and both sides of the rear, inner wheels). Just finished a 4k mile trip; they work great.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 02:23 PM   #12
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryles View Post
we're in nova scotia canada. I broke a spring and had a blow out.caused by the rods??????? roads are rough??????????????????????. Interstate (main roads) is good. Bridge seams are bad. yes i agree that some are poor/bad!!!!!!

where did you go for the axle work?
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #13
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Hi Jim.
My Sailun tires were 4 years old with 30,000 miles on them but in very good condition.
Our TPMS gave us no warning and the there was road construction going on, on the section of road we were on.
When it went BOOM!!!
WE HEARD/FELT IT.
I looked in the mirror and saw a cloud of debris flying out.
Looking at the center of the split in the steel belt, it looks like a semi circular hole. I believe road/construction debris caused it.
At our next stop (12 miles down the road) I changed all 4 tires and the bad leaf spring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Sailun blowout.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	12738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowout damage 4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	12739  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #14
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Suprised by your troubles getting Sailun's balanced. Last summer I bought 4 new Sailun's and The tire shop mounting them was supprised that 2 of the 3 did not need any weights added and 1 very little.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:33 AM   #15
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
As an ex masshole, I apologize on behalf of all New Englanders for your bad experience. But as a full timer who travels the country all year long, New England roads are definitely not the worst I have seen. I-10 is horrible, especially from Texas to Florida.

Before I switched to the MorRyde IS, I used to carry 5 extra springs and U bolt sets for the inevitable spring failure (more than twice a year). We may have been at max weight, but not over it. The IS changed all of that. Best decision ever.
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:49 AM   #16
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
As a side note to your balance issue. We have a Chevrolet 3500 Crew cab Dually Diesel. As my old tires wore out and we could not keep them balanced. Every 2 months we would re-spin them and they would be great. After 4 re-spins, I had enough. I ordered all new cooper tires and the dealer suggested we add balance beads to the tires. I never herd of them. Basically it is crushed glass almost like sand. It centrifuges out and balances it's self as you drive. It does stick to the inside to some degree, but some of it free floats around and adjusts it's self as needed. I can honestly say this truck has never been so smooth. I couldn't believe the difference. They added 4 ounces to each tire, then they do not spin balance it at all. I would have thought this would never work, but it does. You can add the produce yourself. Thru the valve stem if you remove the valve. Then wheel weights will never be needed again. Best of luck.
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
I have the Centramatics on camper for over 5 years. Also had on old truck and now ordering for new F350. Takes the worry away from balancing.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:05 AM   #18
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy E View Post
As a side note to your balance issue. We have a Chevrolet 3500 Crew cab Dually Diesel. As my old tires wore out and we could not keep them balanced. Every 2 months we would re-spin them and they would be great. After 4 re-spins, I had enough. I ordered all new cooper tires and the dealer suggested we add balance beads to the tires. I never herd of them. Basically it is crushed glass almost like sand. It centrifuges out and balances it's self as you drive. It does stick to the inside to some degree, but some of it free floats around and adjusts it's self as needed. I can honestly say this truck has never been so smooth. I couldn't believe the difference. They added 4 ounces to each tire, then they do not spin balance it at all. I would have thought this would never work, but it does. You can add the produce yourself. Thru the valve stem if you remove the valve. Then wheel weights will never be needed again. Best of luck.
This could be a good idea......... but what if your tires need more than 4 OZ to balance, how you going to know? Or does this method work on a different principle?
Old 08-13-2022, 11:00 AM   #19
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sorry to hear about your nightmare adventure BSHGTO. The real question is, why are springs breaking like this. I mean our trucks can take the punishment, and the same should be for the trailer. It seems the manufacturers are not using strong enough suspension components. Maybe the old way of springs and electric brakes should go bye bye and everything come standard with independent suspension and disc brakes.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:08 AM   #20
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
Quote:
This could be a good idea......... but what if your tires need more than 4 OZ to balance, how you going to know? Or does this method work on a different principle?
The dealer had a chart to determine how much to add vs tire size.
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote