Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2005, 12:35 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Security of Surge Guard

We recently purchased a Surge Guard protector for our electrical cord. There is a place for a padlock to connect the surge guard to the electrical cord. But what keeps a nasty person from unplugging the line from the trailer and the electrical post and walking away with the whole thing? I think we're missing something here. Is the Surge Guard supposed to be inside the trailer? It's the portable kind. But we don't want it to be too portable. Help! J.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Judy, I had the same question but here's what I did. I bought a large "U" bolt at the hardware store to put around the cable of the surge guard between the body of the surge guard and the plug. The u bolt is big enough to slip over the cord but cannot be pulled over the plug. The u bolt has a metal peg that screws from one end to the other. It is used for connecting large chains or cables. I replaced the metal peg with a padlock that is long enough to go through both side of the u bolt and then I run a chain or cable from that to anything secure on the trailer (axle, springs etc). The only way anyone could steal the protector is to cut off the plug which would make it useless. They would need huge cutters to do that.

I keep the whole assembly under the trailer and off the ground to avaoid as much contact with water as possible.

Hope that helps. If I've confused you PM me and I'll take a picture to send you.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

Al installed INSIDE the Montana, he has a page describing installation and photos, go to our web page, and look near the top where I have "Our Montana", there is a link.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Carol, I think your surge protector is the permanent model. Al did a great job of installing it. Ours is attached to the outside electrical cord.

Chester, I like the idea of the U bolt. Seems easier and less cumbersome than wrapping a chain around the electrical cord as I read in another forum. Thanks for the suggestion.
Iowafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:14 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, not sure there is a permanent model, but then again, this is Al's department not mine! Purchased at CW, has a handle on the top, etc. We used it outside, like Chester did, with chain and large lock and under Montana the first couple of times, but this monster weighs like 40 pounds, and we are lazy! Also, with permanent installation, it is always available.

Do a search here, this has been discussed a couple of times, and there are some other installations to look at, several other guys have installed in the rigs. If memory serves, someone mounted inside a end table??? Just recently I think.

Good luck on your decision.

Carol
Old 03-31-2005, 06:21 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Judy,

Can't help with security as we bought the Surge Guard made to hard wire and mounted it inside.

However I wanted to pass along to you the good thing you did by buying the Surge Guard.

I met another Montana owner two weeks ago at a park in Las Cruces NM. He told me his story about pluging into a Campground that had a mis-wired pedestal. The repair bill was $1300 and they told him that even though everything was now working they suspect other Elect. circuits were damaged which would shorten thoes items lives.

He had to hire a Lawyer to go after the Parks owners to recoup his money and that took a long time.

With the Surge Guard you are not only protected form surges, low and high voltages but you are also protected from mis-wiring.

It's good to know we have the above mentioned protection but I always use my handy little circuit tester I bought from either Home Depot or Wallys for about $9 before I get too far into my set-up.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
I agree, Steve, it's a good decision to have one. Sometimes you're not even safe at home. Glen picked up what he thought was an electrical contractor who was working in a house being built in our neighborhood. The guy identified himself as one. Turned out he wired our new outlet for 220V. Needless to say, we fried a few things. Had to replace the microwave, TV, Fantastic Fan, Etc. We made an insurance claim but the insurance company couldn't collect anything from the contractor because it turned out it was his nephew who wasn't really connected to his business that misrepresented himself. It got ugly! Live and learn. J.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:17 AM   #8
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Carol, FYI there are two units. One designed for internal installation and one to be used outside.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:43 AM   #9
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Here's a pic of what I've used. So far I have a PC security cable through the peg holes in the u bolt but may get a padlock with long enough head to go through the holes. Then I can put the 2 ends of a chain on the padlock between the peg holes. It was the simplest and most effective way I could think of helping to deter wouldbe legs on the surge guard.

SurgeGuard

Old 03-31-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
Thanks, Chester for the picture. I'm glad someone else saw the need for such a setup. They sell you this "locking" protector and it doesn't really secure anything. We'll feel a lot better this this solution. J.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I stand corrected, sorry, gang, I misread the original post, and my ole brain kicked out something other than what you were asking about.

Geesh, it is hard getting on in years!

Carol
Old 03-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
As they say, don't feel like the lone ranger, Carol. At least we're all in the same boat. J.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 05:36 PM   #13
Iowafan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3419
We hooked up our surge protector for the first time here at Skidaway Island. Glen used a wider type padlock that had enough room for the kryptonite cable to pass through it and wound the cable around the electrical box at the campsite and back through the locking mechanism. Seems to be very secure so far.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:32 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to have the protable 50 amp surge quard.All I have is the cheap thing you buy to lock the surge quard to the 50 amp cord.So for any one who wants to steel it they have to take the surge quard and that heavy 50 amp cord.I would hope that seeing some one drag this threw a camp ground would raise some eye brows.Mybe I should rethink my security issues with this.

Aww the good old days when you could leave your home with the doors un-locked.Those days have come and gone.Kind of sad that we all have to worry and lock every thing up to feal some what secure in our belongings.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #15
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
On my old TT, I had to replace the power cord from the breaker box. So I just installed a short pig tail on the breaker box, plugged the surge protector into that and then a 30 foot extention cord itno the surge protector that I pulled out through the electrical access door. I don't see why you couldn't also install the portable inside the Montana somewhere.

My problem now is I have a 30 amp surge unit with a 50 amp Montana....

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Someone tell me the brand of surge guard you are using and what it cost. I've never, until recently, thought we really need one of these but recently we were in a park where I was watching the needle on my voltage meter bouncing around while the dryer was running. That made me a bit nervous.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:37 PM   #17
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Welcome back Steve,

I see you've been a busy Boy today, LOL

We have the Surge Guard by TRCI www.trci.net I bought the 30 Amp built in from my Dealer for about $215. He matched Camping Worlds price.

I just this weekend met another RV'er at Park & Swap in Mesa who told us Her story. One night she saw smoke from an outlet in Her Rig. As luck would have Her Hubby wasn't around. She got lucky to find another RV'er at a near by space who happened to be an Elect. He came over to check it out and found both legs on the 110V were hot. A missed wired pedestal. She didn't sleep well that night worried about Fire and there was major damage to her Rigs Elect. She was not able to ever get any compensation. She's such a sweet Lady. It's a shame it happened to Her. She works at the RV booth at Park and Swap. She said they got the Surge Guard after that and wish they had sooner.

Happy Camping

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote