Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Jack cylinder leaking???

We have a 2020 Chevy 3500HD with a Dmax. This is the first truck that I have owned that had DEF, but have had other vehicles that took DEF, so I'm famaliar with that.

I noticed the last time that we took our 5er out that our left front jack has a fine layer of oil film on it. At first, I assumed that we had a fitting leaking. I checked all of those, and they were tight.

Then, after traveling, I noticed that we have a light film of grease on the underside of the front of the 5er. Now, I'm wondering if the truck is putting out that much soot, and it's getting on the front, or something else is going on?

Anyone experienced this with a new truck, or is just that jack cylinder leaking, and getting on everything?

PS: We have a removable mudflap that is on there all the time when we're pulling, and it has a heat shield on it, if that makes a difference...

Old 08-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #2
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Took me a while to track down the leak in our left front cylinder. Is at the rim just under the bolted on cover. Very small and I've just kept up with the ATF refills.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Took me a while to track down the leak in our left front cylinder. Is at the rim just under the bolted on cover. Very small and I've just kept up with the ATF refills.
I can't actually see any "leaking" out anywhere on the jack cylinder. How did you find it? I need to know if it's leaking from the cylinder, because I'm still under warranty, and I would get it fixed, if I could tell where it was leaking.

What has me puzzled, is that we have a thin layer of film on the entire front side (hitch area), and I don't see how it's leaking that much that it could be all of the way over there. If it was leaking that much, I would think that I would have a visible streak down the cylinder somewhere...
Old 09-01-2020, 03:50 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Road grime

I have the same film on some of my jacklegs. I think it is road-grime. Mine has a thin homogenous look to it...just like a fine mist would look. How would leaking hydraulic fluid spread so evenly and thin, and then start collecting dust and dirt. Seems like it would be darker and greasier at the top of the Jack, and less dense at the bottom. The grime on my legs is consistent color and thickness from top to bottom.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:40 AM   #5
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I have the same film on some of my jacklegs. I think it is road-grime. Mine has a thin homogenous look to it...just like a fine mist would look. How would leaking hydraulic fluid spread so evenly and thin, and then start collecting dust and dirt. Seems like it would be darker and greasier at the top of the Jack, and less dense at the bottom. The grime on my legs is consistent color and thickness from top to bottom.
That is an excellent description of what mine looks like, BUT it is only on the left (passengers) side of the unit. Just so happens to be the side that the exhaust comes out on.

Mikeanddebbie, is your truck a Dmax?
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dirty jack legs

Yes 2019 Chevy DMax dually

Here are pics of my front legs and the rear legs. Both mid-jack legs are relatively clean (compared to the other 4). Both rear legs are nasty dirty - probably because they are directly behind the tires. I took my finger and made a swipe mark to show the nastiness. My front legs are mixed. The one behind the DMax exhaust pipe is actually a bit less filthy (? ? ?) than the drivers side jack leg. I need my helper to get out there and clean those things up...but I am my own helper...so it is on the list!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-01_7-43-12.png
Views:	31
Size:	725.3 KB
ID:	7150  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #7
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Thanks for the pics!! That's exactly what my left front looks like, but it's the only one that looks like that, which surprises me. I can look it up on my truck, but I'd guess that we've towed somewhere in the 2000 miles with the unit so far...