Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Toys in the garage HC 380/381TH owners

For all the HC 380/381TH owners.

I went by a Can AM dealer yesterday to measure the Scout side by side. It comes in at about 52" wide and right at 10' long. As such it should fit in our garages!! At 6'2" even I was ok with the leg room (although I haven't driven one all day yet). The cab is obviously not as wide as a Maverick or other side by side but is ok. So I think that is the model we will go with for now since it allows us to go to the trails without having to tow separately. The Scout is available in both 800cc and 1000cc and we will get the larger to make up for the 1" less ground clearance vs the Commander. Granted the narrower model will be a little less stable but we don't ride wild and there are a lot of trails with width restrictions where being a little narrower is actually a good thing. Its rather contrary to my usual way of thinking to go smaller for sure and I wouldn't do it if the garage was not an issue.

I plan to add a 12volt loading winch in the rear pass thru storage area and run the cable thru the front wall of the garage to winch the side by side into the garage backwards. Granted you could use the winch on the side by side but I like the idea of using a separate winch for that operation (and I already have one).

We did consider getting a wider side by side and switching out to "skinny" wheels to load it but that just seemed like to much trouble.....

I have yet to try to load our Sea Doo Spark but it measures like it should fit provided we make the trailer tounge into a folder. And hauling the jet ski is another reason I want the 5er mounted 12 volt winch.....

Our friend has a 10' 4" kayak and it fits in the garage at just a slight angle. We can haul our motorcycle (for shuttles) 1100 Honda Shadow and a couple kayaks with no problem.

Harbor Freight sells a good motorcycle chock that works even without bolting it down to the floor BUT it is rather tight on a larger bikes tire.

For bicycles Academy sells a neat two bike chock/stand that works well to hold the front tires both in the garage and outside of the camper when at camp.

If the garage is full of motorcycle and kayaks we have a receiver style bike rack that we can put on the rear bumper of the tow truck for the bicycles. The bikes actually ride really well there but you do need a drop down hitch to get them below the level of the tailgate so they won't hit the camper underside. It is also nice to be able to carry the bikes into town or wherever.

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote