Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Visitor Briefing, too much?

Visitor education briefing:

I have mentioned we moved from 45 plus feet boats to the RV after many years enjoying water exploration. I learned from some great yacht owners about safety. Planes, boats and also RVs, in my opinion require "guest briefing"! You came on my boat for first time, you got the lecture. Life jackets, fire Extinguisher location and use. Proper way to help someone who has fallen overboard. How to use the toilet, water conservation etc. Old habits die hard. Had a cousin tell me recently, that I was paranoid, when I gave my RV talk to her kids and family. I said here's the deal, your a guest in our home. Your kids and you as parents, need to know how things work and my rules. Your stepping into my boat on land, as such you under my rules. Fire safety, understanding smell of propane, etc, is for everyone's safety. If my toilet stops working because of misuse, that can be expensive, dirty and frustrating. RV toilets are not the same as those at home. Last it's not a brick and mortar building. For the kids, running, jumping, sliding down railings, playing around inside has to be kept to minimum, that's what outside is all about. Running in and out slamming doors will not happen! Things like going in and out of fridge every five minutes is also on the no list. Want something ask Sue or Mike! In addition, several times I have seen kids playing around sewer, power cords, hitch etc. and I nip that in the bud in my little talk. I am very nice about it, do it with humor and dose of seriousness to make my point. Am I the only "Mean RV Captain" out there! Lol

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Our 2 teenage granddaughters (16 & 14) recently spent 3 nights with us. I had my DW have a refresher "girl-to-girl" talk with them about what should not be flushed down the toilet. I felt this necessary because it had been a couple of years since they overnighted with us and one (or both) of them could be...................well you get the picture.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:49 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
X2, except I just give my "short guests" a quick supervised tour and then back outside we go. We have 10 grandkids and there is no playing inside, or close to the Montana. We haven't had any friends stop by with small children yet but my rules will apply to them the exact same as it does to my small grandchildren. You touch it, you break it, you buy it!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
?
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:48 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Ditto, everybody gets the run down,,, My sons girlfriend stayed with us for the first time last week so had the wife explain the workings of the toilet and shower etc. lol lol... And it is law that parents accompany little kids to the toilet, standing on the pedal is a fun game for them. They seem to have to go every 10 minutes so if parents are required to go with them that nips that in the bud. Grandkids are welcome over nite as long as they bring a tent lol lol no bunk beds in this rig lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My Montana sleeps 4. Me, DW, dog & cat, period. Tents or cabins are for relatives/friends joining in. There is always Motel 6, heard they even will leave a light on for you.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 AM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Artemus,

I like how you think. A visitor briefing is definitely a must and I have found it's needed just as much for adults as it is for kids. When we can get away in the Montana we mostly boon-dock at the ocean and we usually end up with at least one set of stay-all-day visitors each time we are there.

Most of our visitors don't grasp the concept of boon-docking even if I say "we aren't hooked up to electric and sewer". I give a short water/toilet/electric/fridge synopsis to anyone who visits us. By the way, my husband is mortified each time I do it.

Margee.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #8
kiltedpig
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14137
This brings back my boat days when everyone always asked how many it sleeps. I don't know why that was the first question people asked but my answer was always, cocktails for 6, dinner for 4 and overnight for 2.
kiltedpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

Artemus,

I like how you think. A visitor briefing is definitely a must and I have found it's needed just as much for adults as it is for kids. When we can get away in the Montana we mostly boon-dock at the ocean and we usually end up with at least one set of stay-all-day visitors each time we are there.

Most of our visitors don't grasp the concept of boon-docking even if I say "we aren't hooked up to electric and sewer". I give a short water/toilet/electric/fridge synopsis to anyone who visits us. By the way, my husband is mortified each time I do it.

Margee.
Lol. Margee my wife use to do that to me! One event caused her to get on the band wagon! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Think you have your head on straight. RV's are not stick homes, things aren't the same. And an additional rule that I maintain is: "All males sit for ALL business. No standing and taking aim!" John
Old 04-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

Think you have your head on straight. RV's are not stick homes, things aren't the same. And an additional rule that I maintain is: "All males sit for ALL business. No standing and taking aim!" John
Amen to that! It just makes sense to educate folks before you get mad at them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote