Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Ft. Hood

I couldn't understand the 2009 shooting there, and I guess I don't understand this one either. I do feel really horrible for all the military families that reside on post that had to go through that yesterday. Your husband or father spends all that time away fighting in another country while you sit at home and worry everyday. Then to have something like that happen right in your neighborhood. Our military families sure sacrifice a lot for this country, and for not much in return.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:46 AM   #2
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
What I don't understand is why would any military personnel that is undergoing psychiatric evaluation/treatment have a firearm. One would think the person would not be entrusted with his weapon until deemed mentally stable. Just my opinion.
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Details and reports are still pretty mixed at this point. But it appears he was being evaluated for mental issues, but had not been diagnosed with mental issues. Therefore there was nothing to prevent him from legally purchasing a weapon.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:30 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
The more that comes out the more I think this dude had mental health issues but they were not caused by the military or PTSD. He was only in Iraq for 4 months and was a truck driver. But he was pushing for PTSD and then he even came up with the thing of a "self reported traumatic head injury"??? What ever that is. This PTSD is really getting out of hand. I live here at Ft Hood or just outside the gate, and you would not believe how many of these guys are getting disability for PTSD. If you walk thru a Walmart parking lot every other car is a DV plate. Now I am sure there are some of these guys that do have a problem but for most it is a meal ticket. But back to the story, I think he was just in the process of trying to get disability for it so that is why he was able to get a weapon, nothing was on record yet. Pain is if I go on post I have to open up all glove boxes and consoles while they at least look in and may even get spot searched, but these guys in uniform just show ID and breeze right thru, as they should be allowed. So it would be easy for him to get on post with it. At least this was not a terrorist act but was just another nut case who just happened to be in the army.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:17 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A very sad day. Still no way to keep this sort of thing from happening anywhere. Even if he was declared Mentally Ill you still just go to the local gun show and buy what you want.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Have you noticed, all recent mass shootings have been in a gun free zone. Until 1993 military were allowed to carry personal firearms as long as they were registered on post. Now only some M.P.'s are allowed to carry firearms
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 AM   #7
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Agree regarding PTSD getting out of hand. The VA is running up their empire by pushing it...they tried to get me on the program for two VN tours.

tweber, as far as the shooter having a gun, it was not a military weapon. No weapons in the country are as safe as weapons stored in a military arms room. He bought the gun in town.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Hooker, thanks for clarifying that. I just assumed he had his military issued weapon. Didn't think about him going off base to purchase one. Upon reading the report further I now see where the weapon was in fact purchased off base. Guess I should have read the entire article before posting.....Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I think you are correct steelphony5555. A couple years ago I was in southern Illinois working on a residential job. A VN Viet about 2 years older than me wanted to BS about the war. He asked me if I was getting any type of VA benefits and I told him I had used the GI bill for college when I was discharged but that was it. He said I should tell the VA that I have been having nightmares and that I was nervous all the time and they would start paying me partial disability benefits. He claimed he did it when he was 60 years old and was getting over $400.00 a month. The only thing I could see wrong with this guy was that he was fat and drank too much beer (actually kind of like me).
Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #10
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yes it is sad but I am surprised he being a Vietnam era vet is getting anything. The guys at the DAV have told me that Vietnam vets usually don't get anything. I am fighting them over some of my back injuries I got when I was in a tank wreck and a truck wreck. They told me there that if I was in any of the deset conflicts I would have gotten benefits right away. But they are still having trouble getting VN vets anything. The way they do PTSD almost all firefighters and police would qualify. I know I have seen more blood, gore and death, and have faced death being a FF then probably most of these guys. But yes all they have to do is say they are having nightmares. The way it sounds to me talking with these guys I would say 80% never even saw any conflict or ever fired a weapon. Most just did guard duty. But anyways as the day goes on down here it is sounding more and more like he was just a nut case from the beginning. He is actually from some little town in Puerto Rico. The neighbors say there was nothing unusal about him and he seemed friendly. He may have been upset at the army because they say his mother just recently died and they only gave him 2 days leave. But then too he may not have had any leave accrued. Seems like those are the types that just lose it. Sad thing is he has a 2 year old daughter...
Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I thank all of you for your service. I never served, but my 90 father served 35 years ( on mine sweepers) in Navy. I called him today and he was very sad. He told me the shootings upset him. He said, saw some bad things in 30 plus years. He explained the service, even those who never see action, it changes you. He said we use to in-list to fight for our families. He went on to say, son I think the military has changed as well as our world. I don't understand what makes these guys take others with them. I told him I wish I lived closer to Florida. I will plan my trip soon.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #12
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Artemus, I agree with your father. Most of my adult life was spent in the military. I noticed a decline in discipline through late 90's into 2000. Too many liberal policies
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:25 AM   #13
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
That's one of the biggest things I tell these young guys around here, your army and my army are 2 very different armies lol lol... But in todays army they have way more benefits for them and their dependents then we ever had. I was an Army Brat too and we were happy with the cheap movie theatre and the NCO pool but that's bout all we had, now they have carnivals, concerts and even weekend getaways to resorts and more. That's all good, but the quality of troops is different and teachers tell me that Army Brats today are not like us anymore. Sad, changing of the times I guess.....