Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
A manufacturer did what?

I have been a loyal "Curt" supporter for nearly three years. When my new truck came with Reese proprietary fifthwheel prep, I called Curt and they assisted my installer with a work around. Several phone calls along with a follow-up to me, making sure I was happy. A couple weeks ago my buddy nearly got his hitch stolen in his driveway. The thiefs got two pins out, holding hitch to rails, before truck alarm went off. He was left with a hitch, but no pins on one side holding hitch to rails. That got me to thinking about how the loss of "one pin" "small item in scheme of things" might stop my travels. Now my hitch is locked into place with my own cable locks, (video survalance and truck alarm ) using goose neck hole. (Rubegoldberg style)! So I called Curt and ask how I could get a set of pins for peace of mind. The staffer I spoke to said, Mr Arnold, I will ship a full set today "no charge"! What great customer service! Just had to share how an American manufacturer backs their product ! Now if all our RV suppliers acted like Curt, Reese and B&W, with above and beyond service, our lives would be less stressful!

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Fortunately Artemus, in this forum, there have been many examples of companies being able to stand behind their products like this and I'm only doing this from mamory - Fantastic Fan, Slideout awning companies, MorRyde, and too many others to mention. Unfortunately, I think a lot of it has to do with the complexities of their products and that most times they are the exclusive vendor for all parts of that product. For example, Keystone has too many other vendors to deal with and is why they've had difficulties keeping us happy. It's easier that Curt, Reese and B&W will stand behind all parts of their towing hardware and we do appreciate that.

Until the whole of the RV industry decides they will stand behind their collective products 100%, some products and vendors will give us difficulty. The auto industry didn't improve things until the foreign automakers started eating our lunch. This hasn't happened with the domestic RV companies yet. Then there's owner abuse or acts of God (but not in your case). I'll stop now.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Yes, I agree Art! You named a couple venders, I personally have had positive experiences. I guess my eternal optimism, requires I mention the good experiences with the bad. Too many times, RV forums are full of one sided negative posts. This forum for the most part offers truthful and frank comments about our rigs that is constructive. One other thought. My grandmothers favorite saying was "catching more flys with honey, than vinegar" remains true as well! The way one approachs people can really assist, in getting what you want!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have been in business for over 30 years. I found out a long time ago treat your customers better than they would hope for. Never treat them like they expect. I have never had. down year. Every year sales are up.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The only vendor I have not received exceptional service and help from was Lippert.

Every other vendor I have contacted has helped in any way they could.

I even had one that I contacted to let them know that I had used their product outside the trailer in direct sunlight which they don’t recommend and the sun had damaged the plastic. I had to almost threaten them to keep them from sending me a replacement that I didn’t deserve.

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Don't forget Progressive Industries...a first class organization!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Phil, I had exceptional service from Lippert
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:42 PM   #8
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by K0LCB

Phil, I had exceptional service from Lippert
Hi

I had “O” help from Lippert and at that time there was practically no information on their web site. After being sent to an extension to get the information numerous times and leaving a message numerous times I am still 4 years latter waiting for a return call.

A year later I started seeing the service and troubleshooting information appear on their web site.

In contrast Dexter got an engineer on the phone with me while I waited. On a different RV HWH had an engineer call me back within a day.

The thing that makes me so down on Lippert is the information I needed is now contained in a one page PDF file on their web site.

There was not any reason for me to be treated the way I was except at that time Lippert had the “King” syndrome caused by their perception that they were the only frame manufacturer in the US. Since then at least one RV manufacturer has change frame manufacturers and that may have been the “wakeup call” for Lippert or maybe one of the companies they acquired about that time came with middle or upper management that understood what proper customer support means to a company’s reputation.

Fortunately I had a job that required my metal structures engineer to work with me and he looked at the frame and after he regained his composer he advised me how to fix the problem and also made the statement Lippert needed an engineer that understood welding.

My metal structures engineer passed away last December just before Christmas. I had worked with him for 48 years.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #9
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I have had good experience with Lippert, they replaced my Slide Hyd Hoses for free. They were both leaking. I however never got much help from blue ox on my Bedsaver even after sending pictures. They just said to go to a welder and have spacers made. Wouldn't address the problems swore the unit should fit my Husky Hitch. Enough said.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote