Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Don't forget to shut the valve!

I did the mod suggested by some on the forum of adding a valve to the end of the sewer pipe where it comes out of the rig so that I could shut it and not have to deal with the little surprise many Monty's seem to save up for your first stop after going down the road. In my case I also added a clear 90 and a cap. We'll when I came down from the mountains and stopped for the night I'd forgotten to close that valve and the little surprise was waiting for me. Imagine my surprise when I removed the cap and it was pressurized due to the change in altitude and temperature. As Diesel Guy said on another thread: Remember Robin Williams at the dump station? In the RV'ing world, at times, you learn from your mistakes. Believe me this won't happen to me again.

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I had the privilege of working in a State Park Campground 3 summers. One of my favorite forms of amusement was watching RVers at the dump station. My RV was sitting so I could observe... A word of advice, never stand directly in front of the discharge point
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #3
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
BTDT!! Got distracted and forgot to close the black tank AND forgot to put the cap on the end. At our first rest stop, during my walk around, it only took a few seconds to remember what I had not done when I saw the yellow liquid dripping under the RV.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Dick,
I ended up putting a screw in the top of the added valve going down into the waste pipe to keep it from twisting off when I took the cap off.
I drilled a hole, then used a screw just long enough that it barely protruded out the waste pipe.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I guess I'm not the only one to get that "little" surprise when taking trhe cap off. Now I have my small little waste basket at the ready when I slowly undue the cap. I almost always get about a quart of yuk when undoing that sewer cap.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I did that Once. Now when I am in higher altitudes, I do a real quick open/close on the grey water tank, that relieves the pressure . Then I do the normal hookup. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Ah Yes.....The Joy's of Rv'ing!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Dick I think I have a sewer pipe spreader you can use! LOL. I also have added the valve to get rid of the burp when dumping. Never thought about pressurization from altitude change. Also never thought about the valve twisting off when the camp is being removed. Has anyone used pvc glue to permanently connect to the sewer pipe?
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've never had a problem with the valve because the cap is on the end of the elbow that's attached to it. I knew I was in trouble because I could see what was waiting for me in the bottom of the elbow, just never expected it to be pressurized. At least I know the cap seals well.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

I did the mod suggested by some on the forum of adding a valve to the end of the sewer pipe where it comes out of the rig so that I could shut it and not have to deal with the little surprise many Monty's seem to save up for your first stop after going down the road. In my case I also added a clear 90 and a cap. We'll when I came down from the mountains and stopped for the night I'd forgotten to close that valve and the little surprise was waiting for me. Imagine my surprise when I removed the cap and it was pressurized due to the change in altitude and temperature. As Diesel Guy said on another thread: Remember Robin Williams at the dump station? In the RV'ing world, at times, you learn from your mistakes. Believe me this won't happen to me again.
Can you point me to the mod pretty please?

I am tired of the juggling that goes on to catch the "crap" that is waiting.
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

Dick, there is another little advantage to that trick. When not hooked up to sewer for a few days or so, close that extra valve and open both gray tank valves (be sure the black tank valve is closed). Now those two gray tanks will share capacity. If one usually fills up more quickly you'll find it will go a bit longer, until both are full. Might buy you and extra day or two of boondocking without having to dump.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

I've never had a problem with the valve because the cap is on the end of the elbow that's attached to it. I knew I was in trouble because I could see what was waiting for me in the bottom of the elbow, just never expected it to be pressurized. At least I know the cap seals well.
Mine has a clear straight extension and then the cap. I also forgot once to close that valve but noticed it before removing the cap. So I then closed the valve. I still had to deal with what was in the clear section but didn't have the pressure behind it. Was able to hook up the hose and then pull that valve handle.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LCBoyer

I had the privilege of working in a State Park Campground 3 summers. One of my favorite forms of amusement was watching RVers at the dump station. My RV was sitting so I could observe... A word of advice, never stand directly in front of the discharge point
And always hook up the hose to the park's sewer connection before removing the cap on your rig. At least that way you can quickly slip the sewer hose onto your rig's connector and not have too much mess to clean up. Don't ask...
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

I guess I'm not the only one to get that "little" surprise when taking trhe cap off. Now I have my small little waste basket at the ready when I slowly undue the cap. I almost always get about a quart of yuk when undoing that sewer cap.
Bigred, that extra valve they are talking about is around $20, or was when I last got one. It is a clip on, connects just like your sewer connectors. Camping World, RV Dealer's, and probably Ozz's RV parts store have them. No need for that wastebasket with the valve.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bigsky3625RE,
Many of us have added this twist on valve http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868 on the end of our sewer outlet. Put this on and the cap goes onto it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 PM   #16
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

Bigsky3625RE,
Many of us have added this twist on valve http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...on-valve/27868 on the end of our sewer outlet. Put this on and the cap goes onto it.
Thanks Charlie!!! Going to pick one up before our next trip.

I have the 45 degree clear elbow on now but it scares me going down the road with that on.

I can add this, then when we get to our destination, add the clear elbow...

Appreciate the tip as I dread trying to be fast to stop the flow......
Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's exactly what I have except I travel with the clear elbow on and then the cap on it. If I had just had the valve and left it open I would have left a small mess going down the road but not had the poop explosion at the end. That being said, I like it the way I have it and I won't have to worry about forgetting to shut the valve ever again.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #18
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
One thing to remember about using that valve. Make sure it's open when using the washer. Even if the holding tanks are all closed.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That just kind of depends on model. Keystone has plumbed them all over the place. In my rig it goes into the gray tank, in some it goes directly into the main drain, while a few even have it going into the kitchen grey tank. Doing laundry is definitely a know your rig sort of thing.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #20
rconkin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12463
Quote:

That just kind of depends on model. Keystone has plumbed them all over the place. In my rig it goes into the gray tank, in some it goes directly into the main drain, while a few even have it going into the kitchen grey tank. Doing laundry is definitely a know your rig sort of thing.
Our sink in the outdoor kitchen goes directly into the main drain at the rear. I couldn't figure out why I kept getting clean, well fairly clean and definitely not from a black tank, water every time I took the cap off the rear sewer pipe. We were at Jekyll for a week and when the sink backed up, I finally figured it out. I put the valves at the end of both sewer pipes. I guess the sink is too low to make it to the galley tank, but, they could of at least ran it to the rear black tank.
rconkin is offline   Reply With Quote