Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

What do you mean Rich?
There is no thread there.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Great info, I will run mine up to 100 this week. As to Boom-flap flap, it is my experience that Boom-flap-flap is very much more desirable to Flap-Flap Boom. Having experienced this phenomenon several times and the resulting damage of the dreaded Flap Flap boom ( a gator tire, the tread coming off and slapping the crap out of the rig). The one Boom flap flap I had causing virtually no damage but was still a brief trip stopper.. So tire pressure coming up a bit...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Great info, I will run mine up to 100 this week. As to Boom-flap flap, it is my experience that Boom-flap-flap is very much more desirable to Flap-Flap Boom. Having experienced this phenomenon several times and the resulting damage of the dreaded Flap Flap boom ( a gator tire, the tread coming off and slapping the crap out of the rig). The one Boom flap flap I had causing virtually no damage but was still a brief trip stopper.. So tire pressure coming up a bit...
Dave, might you have comparison pictures so those of us less enlightened might figure out in the future whether our tire problem is a boom flap flap or a flap flap boom? Oh, never mind. I forgot I have the G614's so don't have to worry about that anymore.

By the way, is there a significance to the capitalization of Boom flap flap vs. Flap Flap Boom? Perhaps the capitalized item is more significantly damaging or noticeable?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

What do you mean Rich?
I noticed that when we bought ours. Although it's kind of ugly I figured there must be some design purpose to that. Perhaps because of the sharp turn stresses on trailer tires, maybe they hold up better with the extra wide rib. I am purely speculating. Theory of tire design is way beyond me.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:50 AM   #25
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Steve, the capitalization was intentional, "Boom flap flap" also refers to a volume issue. The Boom being much louder than the flap flap in a Boom flap flap situation. Where as the Flap Flap Boom is much louder because the Flap Flap is the tread flapping about in the process of tearing off fender parts and slide parts, followed by a rather loud Boom as the remaining casing for the now bald tire explodes. I can post pics of the original Flap Flap Boom that occurred on our first trip to Key West on Fiesta Key, It ain't pretty. Here is a link to the slide show.

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, don't forget the giant explosion when you saw the damage
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Steve, the capitalization was intentional, "Boom flap flap" also refers to a volume issue. The Boom being much louder than the flap flap in a Boom flap flap situation. Where as the Flap Flap Boom is much louder because the Flap Flap is the tread flapping about in the process of tearing off fender parts and slide parts, followed by a rather loud Boom as the remaining casing for the now bald tire explodes. I can post pics of the original Flap Flap Boom that occurred on our first trip to Key West on Fiesta Key, It ain't pretty. Here is a link to the slide show.

Thanks, Dave. I'll write that down and put it on the console in the truck, for reference, or I'll never remember it. The pictures, however, show the results are downright ugly. At least mine were smooth and even, in general terms. You win the prize for ugliest blowout results. Carry it with pride.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
[quote]quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Quote:
Originally posted by Ozz

What do you mean Rich?
I noticed that when we bought ours. Although it's kind of ugly I figured there must be some design purpose to that. Perhaps because of the sharp turn stresses on trailer tires, maybe they hold up better with the extra wide rib. I am purely speculating. Theory of tire design is way beyond me.

I noted several post about tire wear on the outer edges on the G614 Tires and also noted there is NO tread on the very outer edges. That is normal but I forgot why they do that. /quote]
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #29
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I had a flap, flap, flap. No boom on a G614 in February. Lots of damage, never lost pressure.
rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #30
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Wow...this is good info for me. I have been using the weight chart and had 95psi in my G614's. I think I'll increase it to 105psi.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote