Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Campground Observations

We're at the Jellystone campground in Missoula, waiting to move into Jim & Mary's RV Park across the road today. (Jim & Mary's park had no space available when we called 3 days ago, but we did get in for tonight and tomorrow night.) A couple of observations this morning:

* The couple next to us (in the site next to our bedroom) fired up their diesel coach at 6:50 AM and let it run until they pulled out at 7:35. I was ready to beat on their door to remind them that some people were sleeping at 6:50. However, just before they pulled out, I saw them walking back from the pavilion area with a plate of pancakes, so I know they hadn't even been in the coach all that time.

* A couple who needed to drain their holding tanks backed over their water hose, pulling it away from the coach connection, in their attempt to get the coach near the septic connection. (Most of the septic connections at this campground are at the very end of the sites, so a lot of folks who don't have extensions to use on their drain hoses are backing up to dump this morning.) Then, once one end of the drain hose was connected to the dump site, they connected the other end to the coach, pulled the valve handle, and watched as a slight trickle of something started hitting the ground. I guess they thought a trickle wasn't so bad, so they walked off. The trickle turned to a steady stream, and then there was a gush and the hose fell off. People started yelling at the couple to get their attention, and when the problem was noted, they ran back to their coach and shut the valve. Not soon enough. Phew!

* The same couple drove their toad up on their tow trailer and then couldn't get the ramps to slide into place under the trailer. So, while one held a ramp up, the other pounded it with a hammer. Neither ramp went in fully, so both, with about 15" of ramp sticking out, are now tied to the tow trailer with rope.

This was an interesting way to start the morning as well as a reminder not to do anything stupid while we pull out of the park, because people are watching.

We're looking forward to staying at Jim & Mary's RV Park, a place we learned about from fellow MOCers who have mentioned it as a great place to stay. The people we're seeing here in Missoula also said it was a very well-run campground with a lot of unique landscaping, some of which we saw on their web site.

Wayne & Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
As I've said before, "You can't fix stupid".
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
I stopped watching Sitcoms years ago because real life is a lot more funny. I also remind myself that if not careful I too could star in an episode of my own.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have seen a lot of really dumb things campers do in RV parks, simular to what you have discribed but not the same.
Sometimes I'll get the chair out and sit under the patio cover and get free entertainment, some is educational, and others are as you have posted. really stupid.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Unfortunately, you can't pick your relatives or camping neighbors. But it is fun to watch fellow campers as they stumble through their routines. If nothing else they provide good examples of what not to do.

Having stayed in both of those two parks, I know you will like Jim & Mary's best. Is is a really nice park.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #6
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we watched someone at the Central Plains Rally site that obviously had a new airstream, after about 30 tries the wife finally got the vehicle backed up so they could hitch up and they had not disconnected anything yet.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I often laugh at myself while looking about to see if I'm being watched.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Sit at Ocean Lakes anytime between late May through early August. We have been camping there since 1993 and have we seen some stuff. Have seen the corner of the bathhouse's roof get torn off multiple times, a rooftop A/C get ripped off by a tree limb (guy was cutting across a vacant campsite), lot marker signs ran over, fifth wheels dropped on truck beds, dozens of awnings torn off, etc. The place is so busy in the Summer it is non-stop. You feel bad for these folks, but you cannot help but watch.
Now the funniest two sights over the years was: A couple pulled in to park a small pop-up camper. It was very small. The lady got out as the man pulled into the site. All Ocean Lakes sites are pull throughs. She motioned for him to move it this way and that way a bunch of times. He circled the block to try again at least 10 times. On the last attempt the lady flapped her arms in a hissy fit and drew a line in the sand where exactly where she wanted the wheel! My father in law looked over at my mother in law at the sight of that and said "if you ever try any crap like that with me all you will see is my tail lights driving out the front gate!" We still talk about that pop up to this day.
Then one time a family was in a travel trailer next door. We noticed they had put their awning straight out and level. The father in law walked over and advised him to tilt the awning due to the sudden storms with bigtime downpours that come up out of nowhere. The man said "my wife likes it straight". The very next day a big storm hit and ripped their awning completely off the trailer. Father in law walked over and stood out in the road staring at the guy. When he finally looked his way he said "how does the wife like it now" and started laughing. It was funny, but it was a miracle we didn't get cussed out. You can't do anything with my father in law. He's crazy.
Next time this subject comes up I will have to share the story of the butt-woman.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
Here's some pics of Jim and Mary's

My favorite 'camper of the week' was this old guy (I'm old so I can say that) with no shirt on at 5:50 AM walking his chihuahua (sp?) and havin' a smoke. The chihuahua was dropping a present on the grass and the guy was looking up like the shuttle was going by overhead. He was pretending not to notice what his dog was up to.

I walked by with my dogs and a five pound bag of presents of my own. My dogs like morning giving. Being an expert on picking up dog poop I noticed the faraway look right away and I noted that with no shirt and just shorts on he wasn't carrying a load of bags either.

Sure enough, later on that day, I went by that corner again. To my surprise there was no poop but there was a neat circle of cigarette butts. I figure he carried away the poop in the grooves of his shoes after stomping out all those butts. Maybe the pretend space shuttle distraction really did distract him enough to overlook his dog's present.

One of the advantages of owning a chihuahua I guess. Little poop fits in the grooves, eh?
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Carolyn,
Look what you started! You folks have some interesting experiences! I guess I live a very sheltered life I've never seen any of these types of incidents. Well I did watch a big class A pull into a regular pull through site and then back up and run over the pedestal. Broke the water, and electric connections. Took out a whole row of electric. Funny thing was the wife was in the back directing him. But everyone had a better tale than mine. Travel safely folks, Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne and Carolyn, that is just plain nasty!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Good job---Tex---enjoy.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM   #13
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
There is one that my wife and I still laugh at.

In 1955 with a new Chevy Stationwagon, three little kids under 7 years of age, we were camping in a state park in Missouri using a wall tent.

There were a number of other tenters around our tent site and we were attending to our own activities when suddenly there was a very, VERY, loud scream from a nearby tent. We, and every other nearby camper quickly looked to see what had caused the scream.

As we looked we noticed an open tent, with a couple of small children in front of the tent and in the opening was a lady, apparently just changing her clothes. No clothes were in sight. She then screamed, "close the door" as the little kids just looked at her.

We are sure that had she not screamed and shouted, no one would have noticed her standing in the open tent doorway at all.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK my turn. Last evening this $200,000 Class 'A' motor home pulled in our door side. Sites are pretty close here. This baby is brand new, a middle aged moron driving it. He starts washing the motor home, (not allowed in the camp here) He moves MY picnic table back close to one of his bay doors, loads it up with cleaning supply's, brushes, hoses, cleaners, then hoses the thing down. Hoses mine down as well, I grabbed my grill, propane tank, bike, rug, move them out of the way, while he is splashing me with the hose.
I am not a stupid person, know myself well. I keep my mouth shut, as the inside of a Montana prison is not where I want to spend my Golden years, I wanted to, but did not, go over and hit him in the mouth. 10 years ago, Sue would have been bailing me out of jail.
When he got done, the side of my Monte was as wet as his motor home, all the windows are water spotted... but I am still a free man, he is still a selfish, inconsiderate, arrogant meat-head. And always will be.
Other than that...it's all good.

This morning... my table...

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 AM   #15
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Bless you little heart, bail money is bail money. Must be the altitude thing you had back in Estes Park.
Cheers,
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
OZZ as someone has said on the Forum "You can't fix Stupid" Happy Trails...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Karma....
Sometimes comes around.
I, being the Idiot that I am, couldn't resist sticking the proverbial knife in my meat head neighbor, I asked if he and his mother were going to Yellowstone today... he gave me a shocked look and informed me that was his wife. I just said "Oops".
But, he had a leaking seal on a wheel, and had to drive back to Billings to get his brand new class 'A' fixed.
Karma, a wonderful thing...
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:55 AM   #18
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Years ago, I borrowed a friend's motor home for a week-long camping trip. The main dump valve was installed in a bulkhead so I could not see the pipe valve itself, just the handle. I got an awful surprise when I took the cover off to hook up the hose: a pipe-full of black water that had been sitting behind the cover. EEww.... I had to throw away my watch!

We are still friends, sorta...

Backing up is my favorite comic relief. Especially when I do it. Someone told me when I first started RVing that backing up was a spectator sport. When they see the long blonde hair and (sometimes) no spotter, I always draw a big crowd. It's days like that I'm glad I took the time to do my hair...

Nothing to see here, folks, just some blonde chick backing up. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Carl & Susan, we did love Jim and Mary's RV Park. We even stayed an extra day because we weren't ready to leave on Tuesday--sitting outdoors under those gorgeous trees and looking at all the beautiful flowers sounded better than returning to Dillon and all the mosquitoes.

Anyone thinking about staying at Jim & Mary's should most definitely make reservations well in advance, because the park is a jumping-off point for Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National park. Every day that we were at Jim & Mary's, we sat and watched RV after RV roll in . . . and then roll right out again because there were no sites available.

We didn't see any especially entertaining RV mishaps at Jim & Mary's, except that there surely are a lot of folks who don't understand that poop doesn't run uphill. Far too many rigs had their drain hose flat on the ground.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:56 AM   #20
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Wish I had seen this post earlier Carolyn.. I have some very dear friends that are work kamping at the KOA in Missoula.. I would have loved for you to meet them..Drat...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote