Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The MOC just cost me $238

Thanks to the thread started by Hikerdoc!! Went ahead and ordered a set of Firestone Ride Rites for the dually after some positive comments from my "forum buddies". The "forum buddies" moniker is the endearing term that DW uses for everyone on the MOC!! So it now appears that I have another Spring to-do job with the installation of the air bags. If anyone is interested, the deal could not be beat from adventurerv.net out of Tennessee. They were substantially better on price than anyone else I found. For the compressor part, I will go with the old, trusty Harbor Freight $49 special that I use for the rig tires!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Bingo,

We put the Firestone Air Springs on our SRW F-350. Made big difference in ride loaded. I put 25-30psi in them before loading the Monty on. Really helps with the dips around over passes.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
+1 for the Firestone Air Springs
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:06 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had the airlifts installed a few days ago on our F-350 not because we were over any rating but to keep from wearing out anothet set of front tires. We will raise the truck 2 inches when towing.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:52 AM   #5
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Bingo, Sorry about that! In actuality, I'm sure you'll love them as much as I have already. Happy trails!
hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Just had my Firestone air spings installed 2 days ago while getting the Ford PCM recall done. The labor was $276 and I think a bit high, but time, correct wrenches, and skill level are valuable.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 AM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I added the Firestone Airbags a few months ago and they really do make a difference in the ride. It took a few different pressure levels before I settled on one I liked. Great improvement.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I have a question regarding these airbags. Logically it would seem prudent to measure from the top of the wheel well to the ground front and rear, then when the Monty is hooked up and airbags are being inflated it would seem logical to refer to these measurements when adjusting air pressure in order to keep headlights aimed properly. No one ever mentions that in these threads. They only speak to ride quality. I would expect that when the Monty is added to the truck the front end would go down slightly if the hitch was properly located in the bed, therefore if the front end was lowered 1 inch, then I would want to air up the airbags until the measurement at the rear wheel well was i inch lower than before. Have I failed to take anything into account here?
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
That's a good price Bingo.

If you're installing them yourself, it's fairly easy and if I may offer some experience...

They can be installed without removing the rear wheels however I did remove mine along with the spare.

Support the truck with jack stands on the frame ahead of the rear axle otherwise you won't be able to place the ride rites if you're supporting it on the axle. Use a floor jack to raise and lower the axle as needed. (don't let it hang so low that the air bags stretch beyond what they're meant to.)

Cut the air lines as close to square as best as you can. I also recommend getting the T-fitting so the bags are at the same pressure unless you plan on loading the truck heavy on one side.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks for the info Tim as I will be installing them myself and had not intended on tire and wheel removal to accomplish it. Your procedure sounds like what I needed to know, but I will modify it slightly. I think I will support the entire rear of the truck with crib blocks (I do not like jack stands at all - Sorry). I will use my floor jack as you suggest. I did get the T-fitting as well. In addition to the price, I had the air bags at the door within three days of ordering them. I have bookmarked adventurerv.net, I am impressed with their service and their prices!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Response to Dave's question re. inflation and level. I did have to get my headlights realigned. Run airbags at 5-10# when empty (recommended low setting). Before I lowered Monty onto the truck, I measured height of rear bumper to ground. After loading the rig onto the hitch, I aired up the bags to retore same height. Having said that, this means inflating bags pre-hitch up to about 30#, and gauge shows about 55# w/the load on, and we're back to level w/the nice ride folks have mentioned. JMHO and experience.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Pretty much the same as Chris does for level. However it is not much of a factor with me. I really don't tow at night when the lights would make a difference. I simply do not like towing a rig at night, there is no need to for us. Trying to get a space at night can be problematic at times and there can be a host of things going on back there I would be unaware of. A lot of things can happen pulling into a unfamiliar campground in the dark.
I can understand towing at night might be a must for some.
I like the 3 rule. 300 miles or 3:00 0'clock. Whichever one comes first. It usually works out different than the 3 rule because we seem always to hit the road mid morning.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave. We did exactly that. Measured from the high point of the wheel well to the top of the tire then when the air bags were installed maintained that same measurement. We already knew that we dropped 2 1/4 inches in the rear when attached to the 3400 so will raise it when hooked up.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote