Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2011, 04:35 AM   #1
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Sewer Hose Storage Door Disappeared

Yesterday we travelled approximately 280 miles in a strong head wind off the Gulf of Mexico, more so on the drivers side. Through that trip the door to the sewer storage compartment came lose and tore away from its hinges. Evidently that little plastic turn lock give up and let the door open, the wind naturally tore it away. I know it was still on at about 180 miles into the trip as I do the walk around to see if all is intact on the Monty.
Anyone have this happen or have you replaced that plastic lock with a standard metal one? Will have to replace the whole assembly as the hinge hole on one side is broken on the body. We are in the Rio Grande Valley and not having much success with any RV Dealer stocking such a part. I would think that many RVs use this door and insert. Any ideas out there and thanks for any help.

8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:16 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I lost mine some time ago and bought a complete replacement at a "Mom and Pop" RV store in Mesa, AZ. A little silicone and good as new. I didn't bother with replacing the turn lock with a metal locking one. Still there and good to go......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #3
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Where are you at in the valley? We are in Weslaco and have discovered Ron Hoover RV to have a lot of odd parts like that. They are located west of Weslaco on the south side of Hwy 83.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mine has a plastic non-locking hasp. The sewer door latches at the top and drops down to open. Is this the style you have? I got a terrific idea from Steve Reigel to put another door on the other side of the rig's back corner but had a hard time finding it.

If your door is like mine, it can be found or ordered from markariosrv.com. Just look or search on the web for a JRProducts ZE102. If you try and get it direct from JRProducts they do not sell to the public. Makarios RV is the source for their customers. I have had good luck with them and they have good prices. I hope this link works:

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...ar-White-.html

Is this it?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Lost mine and had the replacement installed with the hinges on top instead of bottom. The door does flap on me when I accessing it but that is a short time and I feel less chances of it opening and blowing off as it did the last time.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also lost ours a long time ago.Got a replacement from keystone and installed a key lock.It is still there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #7
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
While still under warranty ours was replaced at no charge.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #8
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Lost mine and replaced with a similar door from my dealer. I removed the plastic latch and installed a metal key lock. Replaced all the original compartment locks with better operating steel locks.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Art reminded me about adding one on my opposite side. Found same door maybe a bit cheaper?

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...e-22-0553.html
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I lost mine and then new unit turned it over like John Kohl also put on a metal lock...sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We lost ours last year and got a replacement through a dealer. Had to buy the whole thing, not just the door. Taking a hint from this forum, I installed the replacement upside down so if it comes loose the top hinge will just let it flap and not fall open. I'm not sure it will stay on better but let's hope. I have another on the other side (self-installed) and took it out and turned it upside down, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes we did find one right away the next day (and they had many) at Ron Hoover in Weslaco, $29.95. Evidently when I spoke to the partsperson on the phone she did not realize they stocked this item or did not bother to check. Had to buy the whole assembly and replaced as original. Will watch it closely now. May put a keylock on it later when we get home. Looks like this is a common occurance.
Thanks for all the feedback. Not a good site having your sewer hose exposed!
Old 04-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
$29.95!!! Wow! Was it the door that looks like the ZE102? If so, would you please provide their contact info? Even if they shipped it, I'm guessing it would be cheaper than what I've priced it at.

I'm glad you got yours replaced. Beside the cosmetic reason for the door, there's also the mess from it being open and you're driving down the road. I carry more than hoses in there.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours was about $35 including tax and shipping, from our Montana dealer. That was about a year ago.

8e3k0, if you figure out how to put a key lock on that door would you email me the specifics? I'd like to do that, as well, more to get a better closing mechanism than for actual security. Click the envelope icon above this post to email me. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #15
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Steve I found this lock and it worked on my door. JR Products 00175 1 1/8" Compartment Door Key Lock found it at Amazon.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #16
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Trouble with the installation of a locking mechanism; the frame is plastic which serves as the backing to hold the door shut; not much for security there. In other words the original lock is plastic to plastic. Also the door is not a perfect fit so one has to push the top corners in to ensure wind does not pull it away when travelling.
Art, I will get the numbers off the sticker that I left remaining on the inside of the door. Will do that in the morning.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I had to have mine replaced also. I requested the hinges be placed on the top so the door naturally hangs closed instead of flopping in the breeze and being more susceptible to being torn off. That is my opinion. We will see.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:23 AM   #18
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
After reading all the post about lost doors, I replaced the plastic latch with a non-locking metal latch yesterday. It is 1 1/8" long with a slight offset to the cam and can catch the back edge of the frame instead of the small nub on the frame. This should hold the door closed much better than the plastic latch and hopefully I will never loose the door.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 AM   #19
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
This is the information that was on the inside of the door.
Hatch Thumb Lock
w/sticker 4F
K121821
$29.53
This is the complete assembly of the door and frame in rv white. The sticker is the little decal the goes on the outside of the door that states: "Sewer Hose".
Old 04-24-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, just remove the door frame and flip it over. That's what I did. Now hinged at the top.

Dennis, any problem installing the lock? When I looked at ours I didn't think it would work but maybe it will.

8e3k0, I'm not as much concerned with security as I am with having a lock or latch that will do a better job of keeping that door closed so I don't have to buy another one again. There's not that much security on any of the doors including that one. A screwdriver will pop them open. I did it when I lost the keys while bringing home from the dealer our brand new 2003 3295RK. Had to pop the locker door and go in through the laundry chute to open the main door from the inside. It's a piece of cake opening that locker door with a good sized screwdriver. About 4 or 5 seconds.