Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2010, 03:28 AM   #1
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Diesel Fuel Stops I-24 & I-75

Wasn't sure about the best forum category for this but here goes.....

This year is my first trip with the Monty and Diesel Truck. In previous years, I had a gas powered motorhome and had developed my preferred fuel stops with easy in and out. With the truck, I will have to make more frequent stops so the previous locations may not work.

Do any of you have preferred easy in and out diesel fuel locations along I-24 and I-75 (from Southern Illinois to Mid-Florida)? I have identified a few locations by using Google Earth but sometimes those views are not the best angles to determine space for getting truck/Monty in and out easily.

Any information would be appreciated.............. Name of facility and Interstate exit numbers would be great.

If anyone has locations already stored for GPS use would even be better.

Doberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:39 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Doberman,

Try these sites and they have the exit numbers etc.
Hope this helps.

http://www.loves.com/

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortal...portal_page_60

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/

http://www.pilotcorp.com/
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:51 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We travel most of I75 you have routed...frankly, we establish our travel stops along the way so that we do not need to pull the fifth wheel into a fuel station. With a 38 gallon tank, and two five gallon containers in the bed of the truck, we have plenty of range to avoid the need to do fuel stops along the way. Now if your travel plans do not allow for shorter "legs" along your travel route, we have seen/stopped at a number of Flying J and TA places along I75...you can get their locations and individual addresses on the Flying J/TA websites...use that data, along with one of the map websites, to plot your trip. I have seen very few fuel stops that would allow for a rig the size most of us tow...if fact, the majority of fuel stops have reoriented their fuel pumps so that it is impossible to pull a fifth wheel into them! Have a safe trip.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
When we went to the Southwest from Maine, I purchased the "2010 The RVer's Friend" book, it was only $14.95 and well worth it. It's a North American Diesel/Parking Directory from the Trucker's friend. It has all the interstates and it includes it in Exit order section, and by state.
(if trucks can get to the pumps, you know that we can too)
It also lets you know what services are available at each location,restaurant, dump, overnight parking, atm's and how many sites are available for overnight parking.
My husband probably appreciated me not bugging him about fuel too. Not sure if I bought it from Amazon or Trailer life.
Have a safe trip and enjoy the holiday season,
Marge
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
That sounds like a great book to have--something to help along the road. My usual plan with a 38 gallon tank is to drive about 250 miles per day--less than a tank even in a head wind. Then unhook at the RV park and drive the truck to the cheapest diesel--even some of those are not set up for long truck without a Montana!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
The book "The Next Exit" tells what is at each exit for all interstates and which fuel stations, restaurants, etc you can bring an RV through. It is a very good investment.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:45 AM   #7
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by boylanag

The book "The Next Exit" tells what is at each exit for all interstates and which fuel stations, restaurants, etc you can bring an RV through. It is a very good investment.
Come to think of it, I have this book............ Time to get it and do some research. If at all possible, I prefer not having to use the same pumps as the 18 wheelers.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We found out that some of the stations now that have the 18 wheeler pumps will not let you fuel on them and must use the islands that have diesel on them that the cars refuel at. They were telling us that we had to have a DOT # for fueling. We normally play it by ear when it comes to refueling. We will drive until we get to half a tank then look for a refueling stop! Only had one time where we cut it below a quarter of a tank but had no problems.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We always fuel out of convenience not necessity...stop every 200 miles or so..take a break, refuel and back on the road...best way we have found to do it....been there one time running on fumes...not gonna happen again...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We always try to stop at Flying J whenever possible. Some have been converted to Pilot. On our way to Colorado we found that Flying J still offers a commercial/rv discount card. It is available at the counter and can only be used at the rv or commercial pumps. 2 cents discount for gas and 3 cents for diesel.

Now in response to your original request

Indiana I65 exits 139 & 95
Ky I65 exit 2
I24 exit 86

Tennessee could not find Flying J but I know we don't have any problems, just can't remember where we have stopped.

Georgia I75 exits 320, 201 & 2. Exit 2 is your last best price before Florida as there aren't any Flying Js in the sunshine state.

Have fun. We leave on 12/26, maybe we will "bump" into you on the way.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
No specific exits/stops.
We look to fill at half a tank. We like Flying J and then pilots best. We always go to the 18 wheeler fill up places. Usually have to go inside to give them a credit card to turn on the pump. Always pull ahead when done filling so truckers can begin their fill while I am inside oaying up.
We use other stations but make sure they are truck stops. Many of the stations listed as diesel, along the way, will not have room for you. Be especially careful about "head room".
Enjoy your travels.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We travel the southern end of I 75 a lot, but I couldn't tell you the names or locations of the places we stop, even though I can usually drive right to them! However, it is NEVER Flying J, TA or Pilot. They have prices way out of line with other retailers. Now, it IS tricky picking the right spot, but I have gotten quite good at sizing up a station for head room and swing room. have not had a bad stop YET...I know it will come eventually, but we take it slow and don't commit until we are sure it is an OK place to stop. Try to fill between half to quarter tank left.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #13
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

For the most part we usually just use the GPS and look ahead on the route for a flying J or truck stop of that nature. I have the next exit book and it is really nice but the GPS seems to be the most convenient.
Happy travels!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
I always try to use Flying J. If not available I do try to use a place that sells alot of Diesel. Lowers the risk of getting bad fuel.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #15
Doberman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10587
Thanks for all of the responses. Between the book THE NEXT EXIT and Google Earth, I have finalized my stops. I have allowed extra distances just in case one doesn't work out and I have to keep moving on. Will be on the road bright and early this Sunday morning (26th) if the snow/sleet doesn't get too bad. The ground is getting white but roads are staying clear so far.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!!