Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
transfer switch protection?

Does the transfer switch installed at the factory for generator prep include surge protection or do I need additional surge protector?
What is recommended, Progressive industries or TRC?
I am not sure if the 50 amp portable units will work with a 30 amp cable when I am too lazy to unroll the 50 amp cable, especially on only overnite stays.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by illapah

Does the transfer switch installed at the factory for generator prep include surge protection NO or do I need additional surge protector?
What is recommended, Progressive industries or TRC? I use PI 50 Amp hard wired
I am not sure if the 50 amp portable units will work with a 30 amp cable when I am too lazy to unroll the 50 amp cable, especially on only overnite stays.
If you hardwired your EMS there is no problem. If you run a 30 amp extension from the post (pedestal) to your trailer then adapt up to a 50 amp receptacle you can plug in a portable EMS and then plug into Monty with a short cable.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #3
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I have the Progressive portable 50 and I called and asked the manufacturer if it would work with 30 amp power and the answer was Yes.

Steve
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:11 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My Onan factory installed generator does not have a separate surge protector built in. I have put small surge protectors on things like the TV, satelite receiver, and microwave.
I use a Surge Guard protector when hooked up to campground power. It is a 50 amp unit and it works for both 50 and 30 amp hook ups. It is not a circuit breaker. It is for protection against over and under voltages as well as sharp 'spikes/surges' from the power source.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote