Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2010, 04:51 AM   #1
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
RV?.......Absolutely!

On April 1st we had the pleasure of meeting a unique individual and repairing a flat on a unique RV. The man's name is Bob Skelding and he is travelling the USA in a horse drawn wagon. As he travels, he posts the events of his journey on his website. I find his writings to be very entertaining and often amusing. I hope you like it too.

www.wagonteamster.com

Lonnie

LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
I've been watching his web site since he past near our house on trip no. 1. He was involved in an accident in Mississippi in Feb. of 2009. This is his thrid trip.
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We have watched this guy's journey for some time. His "journal" is fascinating and a really interesting read. Lonnie you are a fortunate person to have met him in person! What a nice surprise that must have been. Thank you for sharing. As Jim n Deb said he was involved in a major accident with his rig. It totally destroyed his trailer and killed a couple of his beautiful horses. He almost died. I was so happy when he decided to continue with his journey across America.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have also read of him, but I wish I could have met him.

What an experience. Can you imaging "Sitting Around The Campfire" with him.

Thanks for the refresher Lonnie.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Thanks, Lonnie. I really enjoyed reading about his adventures and will continue to follow him.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Lonnie. Very interesting! I have bookmarked this and hope keep up with his travels. - Jim
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:00 PM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Wouldn't it be cool to have him at the Fall National Rally? After all, there are pretty decent horse stables there at the fair grounds.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dale,
That would be so cool. Why don't you talk with the WM about this idea. I think it is a good one.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Lonnie, you're missing your moment. Do you remember what his tires were? Did you check the DOT code for how he's doing? I don't think at the horse drawn speeds he has anything to worry about, but he did get a flat. Good thing he didn't ask you to replace a shoe on a horse.

Using the link you provided, I read about the accident he had on the first trip. How terrible he lost two horses. When you can name them and befriend them like he did, it's a tragic loss and will stay in one's mind for a long, long time. Good for him he's still going on, though. May his adventures be nothing but pleasant from now on.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 AM   #10
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Dennis, I think I will.

I'm not sure again that I would be able to attand this rally but, I think it would be a great way to spend an evening with this guy. It would be interesting to listen to the experiences he has had on these journeys. Heck, I'd even throw in a couple bucks to pay for his stay.

What a way to show him what the MOC family is all about!
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dale,
Of course his attendance would depend on his travel schedule...... But it would be so nice to simply have him around to talk to. What a lot of courage it takes to do what he is doing. Talk about getting back to your roots! It certainly would be the way to actually "see" America. So many of us "race" around the country thinking we are seeing it and simply missing the basic essence of what it is all about!

Count me in to donate for whatever expenses might be incurred.

Dennis
Old 04-11-2010, 11:24 AM   #12
Les
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10211
Reminds of the Goat Man who used to travel in the southeast when I was young. He traveled in a covered wagon pulled by goats.http://thegoatman.com/story.htm
Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Some times it works out just right to be in the right place at the right time.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Les I remember the goat man my father took me to see him at his camp one night about 8 miles from our house. a very interesting man. Really didnt smell good though LOL. I would also like to see the horseman in goshen.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote