Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The Big one

The post about our Montana's earthquake survivability seemed relavant to this essay I wrote for my friends here in my area, some of the information may help others in the country.
With all the earthquakes occurring all over the world, we feel secure here in the Midwest. Tornado country, yes, but earthquakes, not so much.
How about an event so severe that the Mississippi stops, then runs upstream? The Missouri boot-heel; This area had four of the largest North American earthquakes in recorded history, they felt the shock in Chicago, and rang church bells in Boston. Scientific studies vary, some say the threat is lessening, some say it still is a serious threat.
I started this essay a few days ago, I heard today on the news there was a 5.4 earthquake 7 miles down in southern Missouri.
I attended an emergency preparedness meeting held by the Platte County Sheriff’s office, the Sergeant in charge stated plans have been made to move the Eastern states residences over to the West side of the state in case of a disaster such as this in the New Madras Fault area.
The Sergeant disclosed plans to evacuate residents in the event of a chemical spill, toxic fire, ruptured gas lines and disasters such as this, are in place. Did you know there is a toxic chemical pipeline running through our area clear up to Chicago? Many do not know that the severe weather alert radios also will broadcast evacuation and any severe disaster alerts.
You should have your adjacent counties programmed in.
If there is a chemical spill, or dangerous chemical fire, you will be evacuated if within a seven mile area. If you are within seven miles of a train track, or one of the large chemical or gas supply lines, you should have a plan in place.
We have practiced gathering our checkbooks, cash, important papers handguns, telephones with chargers, files backed-up on disc, our med’s, and weather/disaster radio to our Tornado room, I built in the basement.
These would be the things we would take in case of evacuation.
In case of a chemical spill, gas line rupture the basement is not the place to go, for obvious reasons.
There are many reasons to be prepared besides an earthquake, we live in changing and often dangerous times.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote