Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2010, 02:30 AM   #21
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
PHil,
I guess with all those years in the military you are still into purchasing government stuff.

I vote cooling fan, turbo fan on a ford. Screams like a banshee.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #22
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
Phil,

Like Robbie says time for a Dodge. They only roar instead of whine

Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #23
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Phil and Bill are you saying that a Ford Whines and a Dodge Roars.
Sorry I just could not resist.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If I'm not mistaken, tranny temp can trigger the cooling fan as well as can the engine temp.

Dodge roar? Mine just sits there and purrs. With a 3200 rpm redline it never screams and rarely stays above 2100 rpm uphill for more than 3 or 4 seconds. And I've never heard the cooling fan on this Dodge. I've never seen temps over 210 on it, either. My Fords screamed at 3800 rpm up some of those bigger hills, like the 14 percenter in Utah, and the cooling fan sounded like the banshee mentioned above. But I could live with that since it also was effective at bringing down the temperature. Sounds like the GMs and Fords sound a lot alike.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just got back from the Chevy dealer. Seems there is a service bulletin that says a bolt may have been left out of the fan shroud and could cause a loud screeching sound as the fan comes on and pulls part of the shroud into the fan blade. The dealer secured the shroud and says all is good to go. Since the fan comes on manually, there is no way to duplicate the sound. We will see what happens the next time the engine gets warm enough for the fan to come on.

I would suggest you Chevy owners check with your dealer to see if your truck is on the list.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Just got back from the Chevy dealer. Seems there is a service bulletin that says a bolt may have been left out of the fan shroud and could cause a loud screeching sound as the fan comes on and pulls part of the shroud into the fan blade. The dealer secured the shroud and says all is good to go. Since the fan comes on manually, there is no way to duplicate the sound. We will see what happens the next time the engine gets warm enough for the fan to come on.

I would suggest you Chevy owners check with your dealer to see if your truck is on the list.....
Hope they didn't charge you anything for the repair; chances are pretty good that you paid for that missing bolt when you bought the truck!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #27
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Nope, No charge!!!! Good thing I took it in though. I read in the manual that the fan is louder when it comes on but this was unreal!!!!!

I take it in Friday to get the Transfer Flow OEM style 56 Gal Fuel tank installed. Will be glad to get the longer legs....
Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 AM   #28
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

Nope, No charge!!!! Good thing I took it in though. I read in the manual that the fan is louder when it comes on but this was unreal!!!!!

I take it in Friday to get the Transfer Flow OEM style 56 Gal Fuel tank installed. Will be glad to get the longer legs....
Phil, having the ability to not have to go search for fuel before you leave, or be able to buy fuel at the cheaper price......and to be able to go further without worrying about when the fuel is at the 1/4 full level, all make convenience of the new fuel tank inexpensive. Enjoy.

We carry ~70 gallons.

Glad to hear they didn't charge you for the bolt.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM   #29
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, Thanks, I did have the 50 gal tank in my '05 when we left Alaska. They are certainly worth the money, IMO. TF is a little pricey, but, HEY, as someone else says, "You can't take it with you". I got tired of seeing my fuel gauge less than 1/4 tank with 60 miles left to run. I usually do not fuel with trailer attached anyway but this will make for more relaxed driving. 350 miles a day is about my extreme limit and with a 34 gal tank, well, you do the math......

We're trying to be out West this year, maybe we will run into you guys.....
Old 03-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #30
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:

.......We're trying to be out West this year, maybe we will run into you guys.....
You know where we're located, and hopefully you have enough information to get in touch... Looking forward to seeing you and Cathy (and I don't mean our GPS lady)!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:40 AM   #31
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I agree it probably is the cooling fan. Ours will come on when either the transmission tem or the engine temp get up above a certain point.

We had a problem coming from Seattle to Spokane last summer with the turbocharger. It seems this model doesn’t use a waste gate to control the turbocharger instead they use variable guide veins. They will get out of proper sequencing with the required power and cause the turbocharger to make noise. The dealer we went to in Spokane said the computer codes indicated improper guide vain position. They didn’t have to do any repairs and said it wasn’t serious and would not have done any damage.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #32
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Two Comments:

1. Yes, the first time I heard that sound I thought we were in big trouble. It only happens under certain temperature/climate conditions, and very rarely, but the first time...WOW!

2. Last September we had an even more alarming sound coming to the top of a pass in Colorado. It quited down on the way down, but then began again on the flat. Long story -- short version: We stopped at Paul's diesel service in Blanca, Colorado. He found that the shroud had completely fallen into the fan and we were close to catastrophy. Fortunately there was a little RV park right across the street and the parts came in by UPS the next day. Fan and shroud replacement all cost about $375 (as I recall.) The good news: GM took care of the entire bill as I was still under the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Paul said there were NO bolts left holding the shroud.

Ours is a 2007 Duramax/Allison.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote