Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
HIDE-A-BED SLEEP TEST

I have been saying I was going to do it since the day we picked up the rig and I finally held true to my word and slept on the hide-a-bed air mattress the other night. I pumped it up about 3 o'clock in the afternoon and checked it regularly before going out to the rig to sleep, and it held air fine. I slept on it all night and when I got up in the morning it was still fully inflated. The only thing I was initially concerned about, beside holding air, was if my head would fall behind the sofa because there is no support under the mattress to hold your pillow, it simply relies on air pressure to keep that portion of the mattress level. But no problem there either. I actually got a decent nights sleep on it and I found it to be more comfortable than what we had in our Mountaineer and that even had an aftermarket replacement mattress for the sofa bed. A few things I did take note of during our PDI was 1) They have now added an extra layer of material on the mattress where it could rub or get pinched on the sofa frame (something other MOC members have done on their own); 2) Our PDI person told us to always make sure to get every little bit of air out of the mattress with the suction side of the pump before we store it away; and 3) Take care to make sure the mattress won't get pinched when you fold everything back up. The only draw back I see at this point is you can't leave the bed made up with sheets and blankets, like you could with a conventional sofa bed, but that is easily solved by just using sleeping bags. We will be using for about 10-12 days continuously in August while we have guests camping with us and see how it holds up to daily use.
Jack

Old 05-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
Ray Audet
Established Member

M.O.C. #8296
I agree...that hide-a-bed is a big improvement over the old pull-out. The only downside I found was that it was a cold night's sleep. When you think about it, there is no insulation underneath you, just the air which is at the same temperature as the air in the coach. Solved that problem by adding a blanket between the air mattress and the bottom sheet.
Ray Audet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ray Audet

I agree...that hide-a-bed is a big improvement over the old pull-out. The only downside I found was that it was a cold night's sleep. When you think about it, there is no insulation underneath you, just the air which is at the same temperature as the air in the coach. Solved that problem by adding a blanket between the air mattress and the bottom sheet.
That was my experience, too, Ray. I love our air mattress, but on a cold night, the air in that mattress does get cold also. We did the same as you - add a blanket on top of the mattress.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
One of those heated mattress pads is awesome. I have it in our bedroom and can heat just my side. If I was to sleep on these air beds it would be a must.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote