Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Black Tanks

Why so much problems with Black Tanks. I was talking with a wise man the other day (Dave-Can Do) and he thinks just maybe some problems are caused by people not dumping their tanks before movement. Do you always empty your Black Tank? We always empty our Black tank and then add about two gallons of water. Since there is no baffels inside the Black tank just think about all the pressure in the tank with 20 or 30 gals of water rushing around in the Black tank and the pressure it puts on the tank supports. We know that water weight is 7 lbs plus or minus I can't remember exactly the correct number but thats a lot of weight in some cases. And is there more than one Black tank maker? If they are we should post the name of the maker when we have Black tank issues. If your not dumping the tanks you should. I'm not point finger at anyone just a observation. GBY...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Would add that we don't travel with water in gray or galley OR black,

Also very little in fresh water, maybe 10 gallons IF that.

Many of these units were built with no straps holding the tanks in. One of the other manufactuers does use the straps, 2 per tank. Believe that the tank manufacturers suggested method of install is to use 2 straps per, but, most manufacaturers do not seem to do this, I will not go into why.

But, having heard of tank troubles here on the MOC (I never read the other forums), CountryGuy and his Mrs. decided it was not worth it. He sweats pulling Tana to the dump in the parks where we stay with no sewer hookups at the site, and that is driving at 5 MPH.

Said it before, will say it again and again, don't be pulling these things around with loaded or even half loaded tanks.

NOT US.

Each to his own, make your call, good luck to you all.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never pulled any of or campers with a full black tank or any other tank. A few gallons in the freash tank yes.I can not imagine why anyone would run down the road with full tanks with water at 8.33Lbs per gallon.+ waste.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

......he thinks just maybe some problems are caused by people not dumping their tanks before movement. ....... GBY...
Well, I usually have my movement before I (have to) empty the tanks.

Sorry, just couldn't resist.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote