Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
We're the Taves from Wisconsin

We're Dennis & Irene Taves from Wisconsin Rapids, WI. Just purchased our first Monty...a 3400RL...had it delivered to our camping spot in Door County last week and so far - love it! We're getting ready to make the move to fulltime RVing by early 2009. Dennis is 62 and Irene is almost 59. We'll be retiring from our full-time jobs, selling the house, and Irene will be doing her medical transcription during our travels.

So, we're investigating satellite internet, which is what Irene will need to do her internet-based transcription. So if anyone has satellite internet, we would appreciate the input. We've already tried the cellular broadband with Sprint, but the coverage doesn't work in Door County, for one. So we know we'll have to go to the next step..satellite.

We also need to upgrade to a diesel truck. Our current truck is a Dodge RAM 3/4 ton gas (HEMI), but we need to go with a diesel. Not sure if we should get a 2500 or go to the 3500. Talking to dealers and users on this question. Any input would be appreciated!!

This MOC forum has been a wealth of info so far, and we're looking forward to meeting our new circle of friends that we'll make through MOC.

itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dennis and Irene, Welcome to "The Best Darned Forum on the WWW!!!!" We, too, have a 3400RL and love it. We have been fulltiming since May '07 and have dragged our home from Alaska to So Cal, AZ, Utah, Wy, MT, SD and are now in Minnesota. I will say this about trucks; We started out last year with a "Dealer recommended" 3/4 ton diesel Chevy. We have since upgraded to a one ton, dual rear wheel drive Chevy Duramax. We love this truck. As full timers We spend a lot of time in our truck. I would advise to get the best you can afford and be sure your weight carrying capacity of your truck is enough to support your trailer. Do your homework diligently before you purchase a truck. There are many variables...

I can't help with the Satellite internet, only to say it is available, but at a premium cost. I think Hughes net is a popular one, there may be others. Someone will be along to help you with that. We use an aircard from Verizon, but I would not use it for a business. I would think you could write some of the expense off as a business expense.

Good luck in your travels and hope to meet you someday.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the forum. I believe that you will get the answers to any question you can post regarding RVing here. Someone always has 'been there, done that.' It would be great if you would come to the 2008 MOC Fall Rally in Goshen. You would be next to the factory and Service Center, meet the folks from this forum, get all of your questions answered and have a great time.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by itaves

We're Dennis & Irene Taves from Wisconsin Rapids, WI. Just purchased our first Monty...a 3400RL...had it delivered to our camping spot in Door County last week and so far - love it! We're getting ready to make the move to fulltime RVing by early 2009. Dennis is 62 and Irene is almost 59. We'll be retiring from our full-time jobs, selling the house, and Irene will be doing her medical transcription during our travels.

So, we're investigating satellite internet, which is what Irene will need to do her internet-based transcription. So if anyone has satellite internet, we would appreciate the input. We've already tried the cellular broadband with Sprint, but the coverage doesn't work in Door County, for one. So we know we'll have to go to the next step..satellite.

We also need to upgrade to a diesel truck. Our current truck is a Dodge RAM 3/4 ton gas (HEMI), but we need to go with a diesel. Not sure if we should get a 2500 or go to the 3500. Talking to dealers and users on this question. Any input would be appreciated!!

This MOC forum has been a wealth of info so far, and we're looking forward to meeting our new circle of friends that we'll make through MOC.
Dennis & Irene,
Welcome to the lifestyle. We have the Starband Satellite Internet system which we purchased from RV Netwoking in Yuma, AZ. As someone else mentioned, it is expensive. But it depends on what you want. My wife maintains four church websites as a ministry so we wanted something that was fast download and upload. The total cost was around $1800 with a $200 rebate and then $99.99/month.

It is easy to set up but you have to be certified as an installer in order to be able to make it a mobile system. Hughes has a system which RV Networking also sells, but it isn't near as reliable and you can't "legally" move it from place to place. Starband will assist you at any time you have a problem; that isn't true all the time with Hughes since they don't authorize you to move it.

Since we purchased our system, RV Networking has become Mobile Internet Satellite. If you go to http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com/ you can find out all the information you need. If you would like to talk to someone who is extremely knowledgeable about the systems, e-mail Barb Nolley at bjnolley@mobileinternetsatellite.com. Tell her that Orv Schinke suggested you talk to her to get the information you want. She and her husband have been in the satellite system business for some time.

I hope this gives you some insight into the world of satellite internet systems. We tried the cell phone method. No good!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Yes you should be at the fall rally in goshen ,, you will get more info than you can handel //we use the verizon air card but some times we use the truckers antenna but here in crivitz we use a booster, and a high out put antenna as i just ordered 30' more of cable to get it up tp the moon ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Hi Dennis & Irene and welcome. I have a 2003 Dodge 3500 HO diesel with the 4:10 rear end. Previously I owned a 2001 Dodge 2500 diesel with the 3:54 rear end. With the old truck my tow rating was 9900# and 15,900# with the newer one. One of the biggest reasons was the rear end.

I don't know how things are now but the only difference in cost between the 2500 and the 3500 was about $800. The most obvious difference was the suspension which allowed me a heavier hitch weight and still have a single axle.

Hope this helps.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Dennis & Irene, Welcome to the MOC. Glad to see another Wisconsin couple join us here. We are about 15 minutes north of Green Bay and are always looking for others in the area to go camping with and share a campfire. We like to go to Bay Shore Campground right at the border of Door and Brown County on Hwy 57. It is a very nice and clean park.

On the matter of your truck, I have a Dodge 3/4 ton, long bed, 4x4, 4.10 gears with the Cummins Diesel and pull a 2980RL with it. I have pulled our 5'er all over the country so far and over the Rocky Mtn. several times and it does a fantastic job. Got to love that Cummins Engine! However, if I ever get another truck I would stay with Dodge because of the Cummins Diesel, but I would move up to a 1 ton. It just gives you a bit more carring capacity and doesn't work the truck as hard. Just my humble opinion.

I am sure you will get a lot of different replies here and some great help. The members here are very helpful and willing to share ideas and tips. Just do your homework and shop around.

Good Luck and again, Welcome Aboard!
Scott
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote