Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 04:03 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Wally World Diesel

Fueled up at Wally World yesterday. There is a Exxon next door, but they were 20 cents per gallon higher. An older gentleman and his bride were at the Exxon, fuel door open, when they spotted the price difference. He pulls around, and looks to enter the Wally World fuel station. I suppose he got a little excited as he was blocking traffic. Made a turn too short between the station and the parking lot. Wife and I cringed as up and over the curb he went. Dang that fiver was leaning. You could see her jaws steadily flapping. Talk about chewing around the edges and lettin' it fall out, I think she did it. Back to the Exxon they went.

Question is; with Wally World so RV friendly, why are the fuel stations designed as they are? Seems like even when they have the room to make it accessible to RV's, they design it where it is impossible to enter. The one near our stick house in Henderson, TX, is about as easy to access as any I've seen, and I would only attempt to back into the pumps there. Small motor homes can make the turn, but it is too close for the fivers.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:56 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I fuel up at Wally Worlds every chance I get. Yes some were a bit tight but none of them were inaccessible. The Wally pumps here in Pinellas park are tight as any and I have fueled up, with the Monty attached, many times. You just gotta be careful and pay full attention to what you are doing and if the DW's in the right hand seat and her jaws are flapping like the example above tell her to shove a sock in it or just IGNORE her.

Same can be said about the regular pumps at most all Flying J's. Tight? Sometimes. Inaccessible? rarely.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same situation with the one in Blue Springs, MO. No way could I tow our Montana and get to the diesel pump. Well, I probably could but I'd have to back out. The Walmart station in Blue Springs is only a couple of years old, too.

There's a new sticker on that Walmart diesel pump. It says "Contains Ethanol." So it's biodiesel. But it doesn't say how much. I don't know if I put E85 or E95 or what in the tank. I wonder if all of the Walmart stations are going to biodiesel?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
There is a new Walmart, less than 6 months old, about 18 miles from where I live. I came by there a couple days ago, diesel was $2.86 with their card. I was pulling my boat and debated about whether or not to try to fill up. It was tight, no way would I try to take the Montana in there. They could do a better job on design access. Maybe they don't want RV's in there taking up extra space at the pumps.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The Walmart in Clovis, NM has all the room you would ever need to get a 5er in, but guess what...they don't sell diesel .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Same situation with the one in Blue Springs, MO. No way could I tow our Montana and get to the diesel pump. Well, I probably could but I'd have to back out. The Walmart station in Blue Springs is only a couple of years old, too.

There's a new sticker on that Walmart diesel pump. It says "Contains Ethanol." So it's biodiesel. But it doesn't say how much. I don't know if I put E85 or E95 or what in the tank. I wonder if all of the Walmart stations are going to biodiesel?
Steve, I saw one of those stickers. I just assumed they had stuck them on all the pumps. All the Bio I have run is labeled as such; B10, B20, or such.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I fuel up at WalMart, but only when I am unhooked from the Montana. If I spot one with diesel, I park and then go to fuel up for the next day after shopping for supplies. When Monty is being towed, I use FJ, T/A, or Petro.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:54 AM   #8
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
In our area the Walmart is tight but I have even seen 18 wheelers (gravel trucks) and other commercial vehicles jockeying their vehicles in to the station. At one, I could not get in next to the pumps but the diesel was at the end and I just pulled in vertically to the pump and filled up. In most cases, I will unhook and then when out shopping, look for the Walmart and fill up without the rig.

Our local grocery store also sells diesel at a lot of their locations and they are a little easier to get into. Their prices are frequently comparable to Walmart.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:11 AM   #9
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I do not use CHINA MART fuel any more, my fuel milage was teerible. I think cheap price means cheap fuel. I use Marathon whenever possible and use their credit card to take advantage of fuel discounts. I somtimes purchase 136 gallons to fill both tanks, I want milage.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:35 AM   #10
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Went to fuel at Wal Mart in PA. just before we left the area, $3.29.9 per gallon at Sams Club (Club member price). Needless to say I did not get fuel there but went down the road and got it for $3.19.9 per gallon. Since then I have found fuel cheaper at stations other than Wal Mart.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 04:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Fueling these things is the worst part of being on the road.. 90% of fuel stations are not Rv friendly. Now having a diesel we find that most stations route RV's over to the auto pumps where there may be ONE diesel pump and we wind up blocking the entire pump line IF we can even fit in. I found out last week that there are several States, Ohio, Pa and Alaska being some of them that have NO standards for the quality of fuel, Gas or diesel.. therefore becoming a dumping ground for fuel that can not go to States that DO have quality standards. I was shocked to find out the 87 Octane gas here in Ohio does not mean that is what it is because there are NO standards. The seminar was on the care and Maint of gas and Diesel engines.. I was shocked????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 07:28 AM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Most fuel in a given area comes from the same refinery. There are federal standards that must be met. By all means pay 20 cents a gallon more for brand name fuel next door--it probably was delivered by the same tanker.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
People can buy their fuel anywhere the want and pay what ever. But not all stations are the same. It can at times cost a lot more to pay the cheapest. There are very drity storage tanks and filters cost the station owner a lot of money some just choose not to replace them when they get bad. Also water can get into storage tanks by the tank trucks or rain, wash down of the lot.
As an Maritime Engineer I use about a 100,000 gal of diesel a month the quality of the fuel verys a lot I receive fuel from the plants that truck it to the stations you are right it comes from the same place. You would be very shocked to see how much crap we get out of our fuel centrifuge. I try to buy fuel for my truck at places that have a replacement date on their filter canisters. Any how just remember engines do not run on water or drit.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
The local Wal-Mart has easy access for RVs. I usually only use in on the way south out of town, because the savings does not make worthwhile for me to drive the 16 mile roundtrip from my house just for fuel. It is usually 2 cents or so cheaper the the other stations.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #15
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I checked out the WalMart in Portland, TX yesterday. They have good access to the pumps for RV's.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie
Steve, I saw one of those stickers. I just assumed they had stuck them on all the pumps. All the Bio I have run is labeled as such; B10, B20, or such.
It might be that the 'contains ethanol' pertains to the gasoline and they just stuck the sticker near the diesel pump. This morning I found the Murphy USA site, the contractor for the station, and filled out their form asking these questions. If and when I get a reply I'll post here.

That walmart station is the cheapest fuel in this area, most of the time. It's 12 miles one-way so, like mentioned above, it's not cost efficient to trip over there just for fuel. We fill up there when we're at the walmart supercenter anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:42 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilrvn

Most fuel in a given area comes from the same refinery. There are federal standards that must be met. By all means pay 20 cents a gallon more for brand name fuel next door--it probably was delivered by the same tanker.
When I owned the motel and fishing camp we also had 1 of 2 fuel docks on the entire 20 mile long lake. For the longest time I thought I was pumping Mobil only to have my driver tell me that I get what ever brand comes thru the system. All though the majority of the loads were Mobil, 30% to 40% of the time it could be Citgo, Shell, Sunoco or others. It made no difference to me as no one ever complained about any thing other than the high prices and the ironic part was, for a marina, I was only 5 cents higher than the convenience store across the road.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #18
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Diesel should NOT have ethanol in it. If the pump says it has ethanol I would ask first. Bio diesel should have a sticker that says B5 or B10. 5% OR 10% SOY BEAN OIL. It should contain NO ethanol as it is used in gas only. Also use only 10% ethanol in gas unless you have a hybrid car or truck. You can then use E85. It is a good idea to carry extra fuel filters with you as they don,t filter their fuel anymore. As I found out in TX they have the worse diesel fuel around. Just read some articles in Trailer Life or other mags. I have installed a fuel spin on filter that filters 5 microns and carry extras with me just in case of bad fuel. Like previously stated the oil co,s are just dumping crap and we have to pay for it in high prices and high repairs. It,s a buyer beware world. Next time you get fuel take a clean gallon milk jug with you and before you fill her up put some in the jug and see what you are buying.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #19
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
The Walmart here doesn't have the ultra low diesel. They did and went back to low. Is that nationwide?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:41 PM   #20
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hazmic

Diesel should NOT have ethanol in it. If the pump says it has ethanol I would ask first. Bio diesel should have a sticker that says B5 or B10. 5% OR 10% SOY BEAN OIL. It should contain NO ethanol as it is used in gas only. Also use only 10% ethanol in gas unless you have a hybrid car or truck. You can then use E85. It is a good idea to carry extra fuel filters with you as they don,t filter their fuel anymore. As I found out in TX they have the worse diesel fuel around. Just read some articles in Trailer Life or other mags. I have installed a fuel spin on filter that filters 5 microns and carry extras with me just in case of bad fuel. Like previously stated the oil co,s are just dumping crap and we have to pay for it in high prices and high repairs. It,s a buyer beware world. Next time you get fuel take a clean gallon milk jug with you and before you fill her up put some in the jug and see what you are buying.
Hmmm, just what makes our diesel so bad here? I've run it for several years with no problem. Soy beans? I believe bio diesel comes from a lot of different organic products, not just soy beans.