Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 AM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Military Words Of Wisdom

I'm sure some can relate!

A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit." - Army's magazine of preventive maintenance.
------------------------------------------------------
"This side towards the Enemy." - Instruction printed on a Claymore mine.------------------------------------------------------
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - U.S. Marine Corps
"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground." - USAF Ammo Troop
"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal
-----------------------------------------------------
"It is generally inadvisable to eject directly over the area you just bombed." - U.S. Air Force Manual
"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons." - General Macarthur
-----------------------------------------------------
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo." - Infantry Journal
"You, you, and you ... Panic. The rest of you, come with me." - U.S. Marine Corp Gunnery Sgt.
"Tracers work both ways." - U.S. Army Ordnance
- -----------------------------------------------------
"Five second fuses only last three seconds." - Infantry Journal
-------------------------------------------------------
"Don't ever be the first, don't ever be the last, and don't ever volunteer to do anything." - U.S. Navy Swabbie
---------------------------------------------------
"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid." - David Hackworth
"If your attack is going too well, you're walking into an ambush." - Infantry Journal
- --------------------------------------------------------
"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection." - Joe Gay
"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once."
"Never tell the Platoon Sergeant you have nothing to do." - Unknown Marine Recruit
"Don't draw fire; it irritates the people around you." - Your Buddies
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him." - USAF Ammo Troop
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing." - At the entrance to the old SR-71 operating base Kadena, Japan
"You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3." - Paul F. Crickmore (test pilot)
"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
"Blue water Navy truism: There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky." - From an old carrier sailor
"If the wings are traveling faster than the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter -- and therefore, unsafe."
"When one engine fails on a twin-engine airplane you always have enough power left to get you to the scene of the crash."
"Without ammunition, the USAF would be just another expensive flying club."
"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, .... The pilot dies."
"Never trade luck for skill."
The three most common expressions (or famous last words) in aviation are: "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" And "Oh S...!"
"Weather forecasts are horoscopes with numbers."
"Progress in airline flying: now a flight attendant can get a pilot pregnant."
"Airspeed, altitude and brains. Two are always needed to successfully complete the flight."
"A smooth landing is mostly luck; two in a row is all luck; three in a row is prevarication."
"I remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous."
---------------------------------------------------------
"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!"
"Flashlights are tubular metal containers kept in a flight bag for the purpose of storing dead batteries."
"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
--------------------------------------------------------
"The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you." - Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)
"A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum." - Jon McBride, astronaut
"If you're faced with a forced landing, fly the thing as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover (renowned aerobatic and test pilot)
"Never fly in the same cockpit with someone braver than you."
"There is no reason to fly through a thunderstorm in peacetime." - Sign over squadron ops desk at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ, 1970
"If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to."
Basic Flying Rules: "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there."
"You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal."
--------------------------------------------------------------

As the test pilot climbs out of the experimental aircraft, having torn off the wings and tail in the crash landing, the crash truck arrives, the rescuer sees a bloodied pilot and asks "What happened?".

The pilot's reply: "I don't know, I just got here myself!" - Attributed to Ray Crandell (Lockheed test pilot)

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
How about

"No drinking within 50ft of the aircraft'

"Better lucky than good"
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I sent this to son, who is a pilot. And an ex navy man.
Thanks for sharing this!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Pilots report on the cause of a aircraft accident.." I ran out of altitude and information simultaneously"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
There are only two rules of flight; Takeoffs are optional and landings are Mandatory...
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, .... The pilot dies." I like this one...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:06 AM   #7
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
My dad was a test pilot way back when. I wished I had a better memory of all the stories he'd tell. I remember once, we were up flying in the little black Cessna, off and on all day and I asked him why he had to check everything AGAIN cuz we had just landed. His response was that any time you're on the ground, check everything you can because if something goes wrong up there, you can't just pull over & fix it! I never complained anymore after that, I started to help him check it all out AGAIN.
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:09 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, .... The pilot dies." I like this one... That is absolutely correct.That was the line of work both Helen and I were in and the single most stressful aspect of the job. You absolutly can not make a mistake and you know it... if you do people die, usually in large numbers.. My job and folks like me was to provide the controller the pilot and the system with the electronics for safe flight. Many back up systems..But always in the back of your mind the knowledge that you can not make a mistake.... One reason we retire at 55.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

"What is the similarity between air traffic controllers and pilots? If a pilot screws up, the pilot dies; If ATC screws up, .... The pilot dies." I like this one... That is absolutely correct.That was the line of work both Helen and I were in and the single most stressful aspect of the job. You absolutly can not make a mistake and you know it... if you do people die, usually in large numbers.. My job and folks like me was to provide the controller the pilot and the system with the electronics for safe flight. Many back up systems..But always in the back of your mind the knowledge that you can not make a mistake.... One reason we retire at 55.
I started flying in 1969 (helicopter in VN)...still fly today. We like to harass you FAA folks..."What's the worse thing that could happen to the controller...he/she could spill his/her coffee"...but, in all honesty, you all do one fine job.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
And..they usually spill the coffee in some electronic equipment at their position,,You can not believe what Coffee, cream & Sugar will do to a printed ckt board...
Old 02-03-2007, 05:11 AM   #11
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
" The United States Army Special Forces exist to give the enemy sodier every opportunity to give his life for his country."
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for posting this. We will be forwarding it to our SIL, an AF pilot stationed in the Mid-east. Sure that he and his crew will enjoy it.

Additionally "A good landing is one you get to walk away from. A great landing is one where you get to re-use the plane."

And "Parachute--a device for ensuring the safe return of the most important equipment on a plane."
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #13
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I always liked this one from my Army days, too. "A helicopter is a collection of parts, flying in loose formation."
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I always liked "Helicopters don't fly, they beat the air into submission".

Also the three most useless things to a pilot: Runway behind you, altitude above you and the fuel you left behind....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
In VN our pet "affectionate" name for AC's was "Tower Flowers" Sure was nice to hear their voice, knew you getting close to home.
ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote