Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Front loading washer

Hi,
I did a search and couldn't come up with anything. Looks like our little Sears washer is on it's last leg. I think I remember someone saying that they bought a front loading washer. Any suggestions? I do not want the combo as our dryer is fine. I have heard the front loaders spin the water out better so it cuts down on drying time.
Also,can the latch on the refrigerator door be repaced easily? Latch part that "clicks" into place is broken.
Thanks all, Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:12 PM   #2
Sandi
Established Member

M.O.C. #4207
I have a Maytag front loader and LOVE IT! I also have a front loader in our home in Michigan. They are much more efficient than the top loaders, use much less water. Yes, they do spin out nicely. You can also get more clothes in a front loader, the machine determines how much water it needs.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When you shop for efficency apartment washers, you will find that several makes of front loaders. I think front loaders seem to be more gentle on the clothing. Our washer in Hong Kong is a front loader and is excellent.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #4
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandi

I have a Maytag front loader and LOVE IT! I also have a front loader in our home in Michigan. They are much more efficient than the top loaders, use much less water. Yes, they do spin out nicely. You can also get more clothes in a front loader, the machine determines how much water it needs.
Hi Sandi,
That's it ! I couldn't think of the brand name, but now it "sifts" in. LOL
Stiles, thanks for the info. I am going to look around today.
Thanks to both!
Chris
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chris,
We have the Maytag's, I actually used them yesterday, Sue usually does the wash, but she was teaching Beading, so I did the sheets and some jeans. They are super and heavy duty with large drums.
As you may know, I wired my Monte for 220, and bought a 220 dryer for faster drying, I recommend this mod.
Washer and dryer:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...&subcat=Dryers
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ingmachine.jpg
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chris, I love your avitar, will post a picture of our Black and White Kitty; Sparky.
From one Pipefitter to another.
Oh the washers and dryers are available at Lowe's for a fair price, we bought ours at a local Sears.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0534.jpg
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 AM   #7
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Chris, I love your avitar, will post a picture of our Black and White Kitty; Sparky.
From one Pipefitter to another.
Oh the washers and dryers are available at Lowe's for a fair price, we bought ours at a local Sears.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...3/100_0534.jpg
Hi Ozz,
Thanks for the GREAT info on the washer. Our dryer is working fine. We have had our washer worked on a couple times now and it is falling apart, leaking rusty colored water underneath. I will go to Sears & Lowes today. We had the in-home warranty on the set and it sure did come in handy.
I see Sue in kneeling on a long runner, we have one of those too, OK now knowing how handy you are....how in the "heck" do you keep your's in place? We are constantly repositioning ours, and it is driving us nuts! Just walking on it "scoots" it. It has a rubber backing on it.
Cute pic. of your cat, they do love boxes don't they? LOL
Oh by the way, Albert is the pipefitter. UA Local 350 Reno NV. Finally working out of his own union hall. Been traveling working out of other halls as a traveler. (that's why we RV!)
OK, thanks again Ozz!
Chris
Old 01-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think a front loader uses less water than a top loader. But not all front loaders hold more clothes. Check tub sizes. We had the Majestic front loader stack and they held far less than our top loading washer (front loading dryer) Crosley/Whirlpool.

A dealer told me the difference is not so much front or top loader as it is whether the stack is RV specific or apartment sized. The apartment sized stack have larger tubs than those built specifically for RV's. The Majestics we had were built for RV and held little. The Crosley/Whirlpool we have (again) are built for apartments and hold far more.

I think an apartment sized front loader might just be ideal.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:32 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we bought a splendine? from camping world. works great.they did the install as well.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:47 AM   #10
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BillyRay

we bought a splendine? from camping world. works great.they did the install as well.
Hi BillyRay,
We had one of those one time. It was not the vented model. (that's what we get for going to an RV dealer un-prepared) We installed it, I washed three medium sized bathtowels for a test run. Washed great! Took 3-1/2 hrs to dry! We had quite a time returning it as the dealer said he would not take it back. Finally after threatening to get the local news station down at his "high end motorhome" dealership, he told us to bring it back. What a time!!!!
I know the vented model works better and a lot of folks like them. I on the other hand would rather have the two separate units like we have now.( we do have the "apartment" size) Our dryer is working fine, we only need another washer.
Thanks, Chris
Old 01-22-2007, 03:48 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chris, The long runner 'scoots' just a little, you could screw it down with 2 on each end. I screwed the stairs runner down with the black sheet rock screws, works great.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Thanks ....AGAIN.....OZZ, I'll quit bugging you now...LOL
Chris