Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
flood lght switch

I got my 3000RK acouple of months ago and I need some help. Where is the switch for the drive side floodlight? I called the dealer and got no help. Can anybody tell me were it is.
Also I was checking the heater and noticed a small air duct going to the underside of the trailer, does this just dump into the underbelly area. Also I noticed that the return air is open to the basementand drawing in cold outside air, this does not seem very practical. Anybody else notice this?

mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:13 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
First my light switch is just inside door. Have one for light under awning & the other for flood lights. I am not aware of a heat duct or return air in basement area.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Based on your note one flood light - commonly known as a scare light - lights and one does not. Since a single switch lights both scare lights you have either a dead lamp in the non-lighting light or the wiring is defective on that light.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
mtheo,
On the panel by the stairway, there are three small black rocker switches. The center switch on mine turns on both outside floodlights. The one on the right turns on the amber porch light, and the one on the left turns on the 12 volt living room lights.

The small air duct you saw is what heats the underbelly, keeping the water lines and holding tanks from freezing. As far as the return air for the heater goes, you are correct, it is open to the basement area. I wondered about it drawing in cold outside air too, but in reality the basement on the 3000 is heated along with the rest of the trailer, so it isn't actually sucking cold outside air. It has been in the very low teens here at night, and only a couple of days since Wednesday has it gotten above the freezing mark, and the heater seems to be doing a fine job of keeping the trailer warm. We are not living in it, but I am keeping it warm, as I spend a lot of time out there, just can't help it, .

I hope this has helped you. If the outside light still doesn't work, you may have a bad bulb, or loose wire.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Mark, Yes, there should be a 2" duct going to the belly which dumps heat in there to prevent freezing of tanks, piping ect. Return duct is typically a grill located in the living area to draw in cabin air. Not sure how you determined there was a return duct in belly?
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Chuck, there isn't actually a duct for the heater return. There is a grate in the riser of the bottom step, but no duct attached to it, on the 3000 ( at least mine and mtheo's ), the heater, and converter, along with lots of plumbing and wiring are under the shower area, between the basement and living area. There is a panel that seperates this stuff from the basement, but it has a 3 or 4 inch opening all across the top which lets the air from all three areas mingle.

Does any of that make sense, or have I worded everything wrong again??????
Old 12-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Clear as mud to me Lonnie! . My 2003 2955 was similar, only the return air grille was under the fridge. Took it off once and there is no direct duct to the furnace, just wide open space. I couldn't really even see where the furnace drew air from, but my view was limited. (because of the space - not my eyesight)
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
I'm pretty good at making clear water muddy Brad, and I DO believe you about the limited space obscuring your vision........this time !
Old 12-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Same on our 3400... a poor man's cold air return(except it does not return from anywhere.). We have been running the furnace keeping the temp at 50 degree's while the camper is along side the house and till we leave for the S.W. Was out there most of the day doing this and that and had the temp set at 70 degrees (it is 26 degrees). That 35K BTU furnace was working hard to keep the temp at 70 and it only has 400 Square feet to heat.Not impressed at all but then again it is no better no worse than any other furnace in any other camper we have owned. These recreational vehicles are just not designed or engineered to be used in cold weather.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As Rich noted, these things are not really built for cold weather. There are plenty of leaks for the outside air to enter the rig. On our last trip out west (it got in the teens), I put a piece of rug partially covering the front of the 'air return' to block part of that cold air, figuring there were enough holes to let plenty of air 'return.'
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Our heater is below the oven and the return air vent just below the oven door, it pulls air from the openspace under the kitchen sink and thru the grill nothing from outside but ther is a in and out vents by the door, I also have a 2" vent hose hanging in the belly for heat, with the fireplace on the heater dosent work as hard and we keep it 70 till bed then 60. We use a heating blanket.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 04:47 AM   #12
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Thanks for the help.
Both scare lights are on the same switch. The guy that but it together had bent the contact in the fixture over. It was quick fix.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 AM   #13
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

As Rich noted, these things are not really built for cold weather. There are plenty of leaks for the outside air to enter the rig. On our last trip out west (it got in the teens), I put a piece of rug partially covering the front of the 'air return' to block part of that cold air, figuring there were enough holes to let plenty of air 'return.'
I agree that the heating ability of an RV furnace has it's limitations but for heat to get into an area then air must have a way out and I believe the grill under the stairs is where the majority of the living area's air is returned. If you restrict the cool air return, then you can cut down on your air flow into the living area.
I put a little air filter behind my grill and I change it often when I use the furnace a lot.
My Dad had an oil Furnace business when I was a boy and I helped him. He pretty well converted the whole town from coal to oil back in the late 1950's. No natural gas in the part of Manitoba where we lived.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote