Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2006, 04:46 AM   #1
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
mail forwarding?

I'm posting this question for a friend who isn't using a trailer but plans to relocate/retire for two-three months a year in Florida. He'd like to know the best way(s) of having his mail from Rhode Island forwarded to Florida. thanks,

Wayne Morrison

captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:53 AM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Last summer I just used a temporary change of address mail forwarding from the USPS. It worked for us. You state the start and end dates and you get all your mail with yellow address labels stuck on them. This would not be the way to go if you have several addresses that you will be staying I suppose.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:52 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
The way illapah talks about is basically what we did last year as well, since we were going to be in one park for 3 months. Told my sweetheart of a gal at the postoffice what we wanted to do, she gave me the right forms, was NOT the yellow "Authorization to Hold Mail", something about fowarding. NO JUNK MAIL this way! Whoooppeeee!!! And you have to watch your magazine or newspaper subscriptions, some of those will not forward cept for a month or so.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
You can do it on the internet at US Postal Service for a buck or the Post Office will supply a form to fill out.I have done this for several years for 4 months each winter.It has worked real good and I agree on the trash mail that you don't get being great.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 02:56 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have been having my mail forwarded from Texas to Hong Kong through the US Mail for over a year without a hitch. Surely the post office can handle mail in the USA as well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
We also use the USPS for our address changes. We do all of our bills over the internet, so the only thing that comes by snail mail are the renewal notices for the truck and Monty. It's easier and it's free! Two weeks before we head north we turn in a temporary change of address down here and two weeks before we leave Illinois, we turn in a temporary change at our post office up there. Really simple and so far no problems.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #7
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We used the USPS this past spring and summer for five months and it worked great, although now, our neighbor is just packing it up and sending via pripority mail once a week. When we go to Alabama next month, we will switch back to the USPS temporary change of address, cause don't want to bug the neighbor too much. Already owe her bunches of dinners and boat rides for her kindness.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:39 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our mail was forwarded by USPS and showed up here in Havasu city from Ohio in Exactly 7 days as promised.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We sold our house in Washington, so we had to come up with a new address. Found that the local UPS store had mailboxes with a street address. We then contacted USPS and had our mail forwarded to the UPS address. Now, when we want our mail, we just email the UPS store or call, they send a confirmation and tracking number via email, and bill our credit card for the shipping. Works great for us. The mailbox at UPS costs $140 per year.

In the meantime, when anything comes to us with the USPS yellow sticker, we immediately change the old address.

Our UPS store will send our mail anywhere including to another UPS store.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Simonsrf, When you sold your house in Washington, were you able to keep residency in Washington by using the UPS address. We are thinking about renting our house and going fulltime. I just wondered if we could keep Kansas as our residence.
Have a great day.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Yes, I am still a resident of Washington.

I pay my taxes from there.

PM me if I can answer any other questions.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #12
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Did a temporary change of address with USPS for the first time this year. Was at my winter location for 2 1/2 weeks and still no mail forwarded. Called USPS customer service and they started a trace. Started receiving mail shortly thereafter. Someone on one end or the other was dropping the ball.

I must not be living right. Things just get SNAFU'd when I give it a try. LOL

The up side is that it's working well now.

Gary
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote