Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Biodiesel Caution

I ran a 100% soy diesel thru the chevy duramax w/54000 miles. It clogged the fuel filter and the engined starved above 1800 rpm when towing, 2400 when not towing. Replace the filter and dealer checked everything out. All is well and now engine is clean. He Rec to use 5% diesel every so often to keep it clean.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Actually, from what I have read on the DTR forums and other dedicated biodiesel sites, the first time you run biodiesel through a system that has been used with regular diesel, you will clog the fuel filters. This is not due to biodiesel clogging it directly, rather, the biodiesel is breaking up the sludge in the bottom of the tank which is then sucked up into the fuel system.

I decided to not pursue biodiesel because Dodge, in their owner's manual, states any usage of greater than 10% biofuel voids the engine warannty.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ford has a discussion on their web, and I was warned by the Service Manager on my new Ford that a 20% Bio to regular diesel was the maximum recommended - and potentially a warranty issue. The service manager said one of the fleet clients tried biodiesel and all plugged with sludge in the filters within the month. They are now trying a 20/80 mixture to see how well it goes.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
very interesting, thanks.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Doesn't seem to me it would be worth the risk of trying, at least for me in my new TV.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
My service tech said that anew truck using 5% biodiesel would stay cleaner. Hum?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Double check the owners manual, my ol memory recalls a 5% maxium of biodiesel. My personal choice is to stand clear of it all together. Just not worth the risk...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:13 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta agree with Sky. Over the years there have been many fuel alternatives and fuel additives and I have yet to see any of them work as well as claimed. Adding just 5% sounds to much like a hassle to me and just isn't worth it. Another reason to stay with good old diesel is GM is warrantying my engine and until such time as they say otherwise I ain't changing.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
Like was posted above, running bio-diesel after running regular may cause the filters to get plugged because of the stuff that has been left behind. It's not that the bio is dirty by any means, it's just cleaning up the fuel system.
And the benefits you gain by running it are many. Much higher lubricity, cleaner burn, lower emissions, and your helping our American farmers. I am basing this on personal experience with commercially available fuel in my area; not to be confused with what I could make myself. I don't trust myself that far.
I normally run B-20 in mine and have not had one negative issue. Truck runs quieter, smoother, same power, and slightly better mileage.

Aaron
abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What I read is the biodiesel tends to clean the crud out of the tank and that's what plugs the filters. The same thing happened to us years and years ago when we put gasohol in our Buick with some miles on it. It happened to many others, too. It took a few tanks but eventually plugged the filter until the car would not start. Once the filter was changed, no more filter problems. I would think the same would be true with biodiesel.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve, glad to see you back - We've missed you.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
As Montana Sky noted above, the manual for my 07 Classic reads: "It is acceptable to use diesel fuel containing up to 5% biodiesel (B5), but the final blended fuel must meet the same specifications........"
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Like I have have said before the best thing I ever did was to switch my equipment and trucks over to B20. The equipment runs better and the vehicles get better mileage. I have never had a problem with filters. The pumps and injectors last longer.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
I was reading a short while back where one member on this forum stated that he used cooking oil from a restraunt and that his cost for equipment was only $400. Like I always say I'll get back to it. Now I can't find it. Can anyone tell me who that was and where the forum is? Thanks bj.lyons@verizon.net
RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 AM   #15
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
I don't recall seeing that specific posting, but I have done quite a bit of research into using waste vegetable oil in my diesel. Based on what I've found so far, I don't believe it's reasonable to make a functional conversion for $400; $2,400 is more in the ballpark for a good system that adds an extra tank, filtration, plumbing and necessary heating. It appears that the better designed systems work well provided you are prepared to deal with any warranty issues that may arise. If done correctly and you can locate a good, consistent source of oil, the savings work out.

Let me know if you would like any of the links I've found so far.

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
UPDATE:
After using 100% Soy Diesel, getting the fuels filter clogged, replacing it, I HAVE SEEN MARKED IMPROVEMENT IN PERFORMANCE. I returned to standard diesel due to availability and the results where.

Mileage before w/o tow 15.98 MPG max
Mileage After W/o tow 17.89 MPG
Mileage improvement 12%
Power seems better. Truck runs quieter.

Not enough miles w tow to tell yet. I will keep you all posted. If this keeps us, I inetnd to run some biodiesel every few tanks.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
In regards to the vegetable oil for diesel; On the TV program Myth Busters they did a test of this stuff. Went down to local restaurant and got the oil. Filtered it by simply running through a paper filter. Took a gallon of it and rigged a gravity feed directly into the diesel and the thing ran just fine! If I remember correctly it got just slightly less mileage. Very little difference.

Secondly there was an excellent article in either the Escapees magazine or the Good Sams publication that talked about the bio-diesel. Indicated that the bio stuff tended to clean out the gunk that builds up on the inside of an engine. Once the thing is cleaned it works just fine. It was a very good article.

On Edit: I found the article in the September/October 2006 Escapees magazine. It is on page 72. I'm going to quote a complete paragraph from the article.

"One Caution is in Order
In its pure form, it will soften and degrade certain types of elastomers and natural rubber compounds over time. Using high percent blends can impact fuel system components, primarily fuel hoses and fuel pump seals, that contain elastomer compounds incompatible with biodiesel. Manufacturers recommend that natural or butyl rubbers not be allowed to come in contact with pure biodiesel."

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #18
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I overheard two Chev Mechanic's talking about a bulletin they received in regards to the NEW 2007 Diesel standards. The bulletin said that the new 2007 Law results in a Diesel Fuel with Much less LUBE to the pump and injectors and that there will be "premature wear" to the engine.
When I filled up south of Branson, Mo about a month ago, I remember seeing a Label on the Diesel pump that mentioned something like that...I think in a way it's SAD, that we as american's have to shoulder this burden on clean air all by ourselve's...We are paying through the nose and now, the stuff were required to put in our Diesel engines is going to cause a lot of premature wear.....and damage, Just my TCW John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
... one more reason to use some diesel supplements (lubricity)?
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 08:56 PM   #20
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
I head into the shop Friday for a LOF, will be asking them about that bulletin. Thanks for the info...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote